Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:37 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Geometryx                  
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23852 [157]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618955 [19]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
General Discussion
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28571 [4]
Given Kudos: 130
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
In the figure above, what is the value of x + y ? [#permalink]
mikemcgarry wrote:
Bunuel and others,
I feel this question has a significant gap --- is the original diagram drawn to scale or not?

Of course, on the GMAT, we know "Figures are drawn as accurately as possible. Exceptions will be noted." I discuss this in a blog post.
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-trick ... -possible/
This is a crucial fact for students to keep in mind when interpreting GMAT diagrams.

IF this diagram is purporting to be drawn as accurate as possible, then it's an exceptionally poor diagram. That angle looks nothing like a 70 degree angle. If it's drawn to scale, though, we have to accept that the diagram is somewhat close to symmetrical, and therefore, the 70-70-40 triangle would not be possible.

IF the diagram is not drawn to scale, which I suspect was the intent of the author, that needs to be explicitly stated. Then, the 70-70-40 triangle would be possible. Any bilateral symmetry is out the window if it's not drawn to scale. Here's a scaled diagram of the figure with the 70-70-40 triangle.
Attachment:
isosceles triangles.JPG

I believe, either way, the answer would be (E). Nevertheless, I think this is a crucial issue for students to consider while analyzing the possibilities for a given diagram on the GMAT.

What do others think?
Mike :-)

Very important point Mike. I also presumed ( from the diagram in the question that Ab=BC and AD=DC. So how do we tackle such questions in real exam ? Do we not take it scale.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28571 [1]
Re: In the figure above, what is the value of x + y ? [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
himanshujovi wrote:
Very important point Mike. I also presumed ( from the diagram in the question that Ab=BC and AD=DC. So how do we tackle such questions in real exam ? Do we not take it scale.

Dear himanshujovi,
I'm happy to respond. :-)

On GMAT PS, unless noted, problems are always drawn to scale. Of course, things that look equal may be close by not exactly equal, things that look parallel or perpendicular may be not exactly, etc. For such exact things, you need to rely on what the problem explicitly tells you.

Geometry on the GMAT DS is much trickier, because the diagram could be drawn to scale or not even pretending to be drawn to scale. You need to have a strong visual imagination. One way to approach this --- given a rough DS diagram and the constraints in the question, practice drawing on paper as many variants as possible that are still totally consistent with the explicitly given constraints. It takes some practice to develop your visual intuition, but the more your practice, the more you will be able to see different geometric possibilities.

If, for a specific problem, you would like to see some geometric variants, then post the problem as a new thread in the Magoosh forum:
magoosh-324/
and I will post some diagrams of possible altenatives.

Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618955 [0]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
In the figure above, what is the value of x + y ? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
himanshujovi wrote:
mikemcgarry wrote:
Bunuel and others,
I feel this question has a significant gap --- is the original diagram drawn to scale or not?

Of course, on the GMAT, we know "Figures are drawn as accurately as possible. Exceptions will be noted." I discuss this in a blog post.
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-trick ... -possible/
This is a crucial fact for students to keep in mind when interpreting GMAT diagrams.

IF this diagram is purporting to be drawn as accurate as possible, then it's an exceptionally poor diagram. That angle looks nothing like a 70 degree angle. If it's drawn to scale, though, we have to accept that the diagram is somewhat close to symmetrical, and therefore, the 70-70-40 triangle would not be possible.

IF the diagram is not drawn to scale, which I suspect was the intent of the author, that needs to be explicitly stated. Then, the 70-70-40 triangle would be possible. Any bilateral symmetry is out the window if it's not drawn to scale. Here's a scaled diagram of the figure with the 70-70-40 triangle.
Attachment:
isosceles triangles.JPG

I believe, either way, the answer would be (E). Nevertheless, I think this is a crucial issue for students to consider while analyzing the possibilities for a given diagram on the GMAT.

What do others think?

OG13, page 272:
A figure accompanying a data sufficiency problem will conform to the information given in the question but will not necessarily conform to the additional information given in statements (1) and (2).
Lines shown as straight can be assumed to be straight and lines that appear jagged can also be assumed to be straight.
You may assume that the positions of points, angles, regions, and so forth exist in the order shown and that angle measures are greater than zero degrees.
All figures lie in a plane unless otherwise indicated.

OG13, page 150:
Figures: A figure accompanying a problem solving question is intended to provide information useful in solving the problem. Figures are drawn as accurately as possible. Exceptions will be clearly noted. Lines shown as straight are straight, and lines that appear jagged are also straight. The positions of points, angles, regions, etc., exist in the order shown, and angle measures are greater than zero. All figures lie in a plane unless otherwise indicated.

Hope it helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 331 [0]
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:

In the figure above, what is the value of x + y ?

(1) x = 70.
(2) ABC and ADC are both isosceles triangles.

Even when we consider both statements together we don't know the placement of points D and B. For example consider the diagram below:
Attachment:
Triangles2.png
As you can see we can have two different answers for x+y for two different placements of point D.

Answer: E.

Hi Bunuel,

If they had provided us additional information as such: AB=BC, AD=AC and ADC = 1/2 height of ABC. If that's the case, can we use the same inscribed angle rules we use for circle - can we assume that Y would've been 2x, therefore 140 degrees?

Would the answer change if AB & BC weren't equal and AD & AC weren't equal?

Thanks
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28571 [0]
Expert Reply
russ9 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

(1) x = 70.

Even when we consider both statements together we don't know the placement of points D and B. For example consider the diagram below:
Attachment:
Triangles2.png
As you can see we can have two different answers for x+y for two different placements of point D.

Hi Bunuel,

If they had provided us additional information as such: AB=BC, AD=AC and ADC = 1/2 height of ABC. If that's the case, can we use the same inscribed angle rules we use for circle - can we assume that Y would've been 2x, therefore 140 degrees?

Thanks

Dear russ9,
I'm happy to answer this. :-)

If we knew AB=BC and AD=AC, then we would know the triangles were isosceles, which would have added a tremendous amount of useful information to the problem.

Your application of the inscribed angle rule, unfortunately, is 100% incorrect. Among other things, if triangle ABC were inscribed in a circle, the center of that circle would NOT lie on side AC. If ADC = 1/2 height of ABC, then that would NOT mean that AD bisected angle BAC or that CD bisected angle BCA. If we had been told that those two segments were angle bisectors, then yes, it would have been true that y = 140.

Here's a real paradox: if we had been told the three pieces of information you suggested, those would uniquely determine triangle ADC, such that all of its angles would be mathematically determined. To find the measure of y would involves some sophisticated trigonometry and a calculator --- finding the numerical value of y would be well beyond anything the GMAT could expect you to do, but technically, y would be mathematically determined and one could find it, which means that information would be sufficient. In practice, the GMAT doesn't put you in that position --- it doesn't expect you to find as sufficient something that is uniquely determined mathematically but incalculable using ordinary GMAT math. The GMAT will only put you in the position of declaring something sufficient if you realistically could find it with ordinary GMAT math.

Does all this make sense?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 331 [0]
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
russ9 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

(1) x = 70.

Attachment:
Triangles2.png

Hi Bunuel,

Thanks

Dear russ9,
I'm happy to answer this. :-)

If we knew AB=BC and AD=AC, then we would know the triangles were isosceles, which would have added a tremendous amount of useful information to the problem.

Your application of the inscribed angle rule, unfortunately, is 100% incorrect. Among other things, if triangle ABC were inscribed in a circle, the center of that circle would NOT lie on side AC. If ADC = 1/2 height of ABC, then that would NOT mean that AD bisected angle BAC or that CD bisected angle BCA. If we had been told that those two segments were angle bisectors, then yes, it would have been true that y = 140.

Here's a real paradox: if we had been told the three pieces of information you suggested, those would uniquely determine triangle ADC, such that all of its angles would be mathematically determined. To find the measure of y would involves some sophisticated trigonometry and a calculator --- finding the numerical value of y would be well beyond anything the GMAT could expect you to do, but technically, y would be mathematically determined and one could find it, which means that information would be sufficient. In practice, the GMAT doesn't put you in that position --- it doesn't expect you to find as sufficient something that is uniquely determined mathematically but incalculable using ordinary GMAT math. The GMAT will only put you in the position of declaring something sufficient if you realistically could find it with ordinary GMAT math.

Does all this make sense?

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the detailed response -- makes a lot of sense.

One point i'd like to bring up because I think that my original question wasn't phrased accurately:

1) If they give us that the height of ADC is 1/2 the height of ABC, doesn't that imply that the angle is doubled since AC is the same for both triangles? I meant to ask this and not bring in the "inscribed triangle" rule :)

Thanks!
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28571 [3]
Kudos