GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Oct 2018, 00:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

In the first quarter of 2008, Harry's Hardware Store sold 30

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 29 Mar 2011
Posts: 21
In the first quarter of 2008, Harry's Hardware Store sold 30  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 03 Jul 2013, 04:07
1
7
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  65% (hard)

Question Stats:

65% (02:52) correct 35% (03:00) wrong based on 311 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In the first quarter of 2008, Harry's Hardware Store sold 300 hammers and 12,000 nails. In the second quarter of 2008, the store sold 375 hammers and 18,000 nails. By approximately what percent did the ratio of hammers sold to nails sold decrease from the first quarter to the second quarter.

A. 0.4%
B. 2.1%
C. 2.5%
D. 17%
E. 25%

Originally posted by mustu on 07 Jul 2011, 09:00.
Last edited by Bunuel on 03 Jul 2013, 04:07, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic, edited the question added the answer choices and OA.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
P
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 8386
Location: Pune, India
Re: Percent and Weighted averages  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2011, 22:08
8
5
mustu wrote:
Hello,

A store sold 300 hammers and 12,000 nails on year 0 and 375 hammers and 18,000 nails on year 1. By approximately what percent did the ratio of hammers sold to nails sold decrease?


I have picked up this question from the MGMAT offical guide.

OA = 16.7%

Can someone please explain me the steps to reach the solution. I am lost in the middle ..

Regards
Mustu


Another approach:
The number of hammers increased by 25%.
Number of nails increased by 50%.
The new ratio is 1.25/1.5 = 5/6 as compared to 1 before. Hence it decreased by 1/6 which is 16.67%
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

GMAT self-study has never been more personalized or more fun. Try ORION Free!

Most Helpful Community Reply
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 09 Jun 2011
Posts: 21
Re: Percent and Weighted averages  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2011, 15:55
4
2
There's an easier way to do it.
300h + 1200n in year 0
375h + 1800n in year 1
75h+600n is the difference
75/600 = 1/8 or 16.67
General Discussion
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 26 May 2005
Posts: 514
Re: Percent and Weighted averages  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2011, 09:12
1
mustu wrote:
Hello,

A store sold 300 hammers and 12,000 nails on year 0 and 375 hammers and 18,000 nails on year 1. By approximately what percent did the ratio of hammers sold to nails sold decrease?


I have picked up this question from the MGMAT offical guide.

OA = 16.7%

Can someone please explain me the steps to reach the solution. I am lost in the middle ..

Regards
Mustu


The old ratio was
1:400 (300:12000)
new ratio is
1:480 (375:18000)

change = 1-400/480 = 1-.83333 =16.7%
or
1/400 = .0025
1/480 = .00208
1- .00208/.0025=16.7%
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 29 Mar 2011
Posts: 21
Re: Percent and Weighted averages  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2011, 09:30
sudhir18n wrote:
The old ratio was
1:400 (300:12000)
new ratio is
1:480 (375:18000)

change = 1-400/480 = 1-.83333 =16.7%
or
1/400 = .0025
1/480 = .00208
1- .00208/.0025=16.7%



Hi Sudhir,
Why do u take it as 1-400/480 ?? This is the step that i am not understanding.

Original - change = New

--> We have original as 1/40 and change as 1/48.

So change = Original - New
1/40 - 1/48 right ?

Should we consider original as 100% ( 1 ) and thats the reason?

Regards
Mustu
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 26 May 2005
Posts: 514
Re: Percent and Weighted averages  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2011, 09:45
mustu wrote:
sudhir18n wrote:
The old ratio was
1:400 (300:12000)
new ratio is
1:480 (375:18000)

change = 1-400/480 = 1-.83333 =16.7%
or
1/400 = .0025
1/480 = .00208
1- .00208/.0025=16.7%



Hi Sudhir,
Why do u take it as 1-400/480 ?? This is the step that i am not understanding.

Original - change = New

--> We have original as 1/40 and change as 1/48.

So change = Original - New
1/40 - 1/48 right ?

Should we consider original as 100% ( 1 ) and thats the reason?

Regards
Mustu


I should have taken 40 and 48 and not 400 and 480.
your formula is right , but that will give u only the absolute value of change and % change

for percent change
change% = ( original - new)/orginal * 100
=( 1/40 - 1/48)/1/40 * 100
solve this and you will get a negative 16.7 % , which means a decrease of 16.7 %
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 01 Feb 2011
Posts: 668
Re: Percent and Weighted averages  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2011, 15:27
year 0 -> H/N = 300/12000 = 1/40

year 1 -> H/N = 375/18000 = (1/40)(150/180)

% decrease = (1/40)(1-150/180) *100 / (1/40)

=16.67%
Retired Thread Master
User avatar
Joined: 26 Mar 2007
Posts: 477
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V38
Re: Percent and Weighted averages  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2011, 17:51
I made it until .00208/.0025, my answer was .20

The problem said "APPROXIMATELY" so I stopped at .20 (which should have been .208)

I mean, 375/18000 is .00208, but my approximate is .0020 (I stopped bec it said APPROXIMATE)

1-.0020/.0025 is 20%, as compared to the answer, 1-.00208/.0025, which is 16.7%.

16% is a huge diff from 20%. I thought when they used the word "APPROXIMATELY", I could estimate like that. How do I avoid this problem again? How do you know when to estimate like that or not? I guess if they show the answer choices, I'll get it. But I want to be sure.
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
P
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 8386
Location: Pune, India
Re: Percent and Weighted averages  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2011, 04:07
1
gablaze23 wrote:
I made it until .00208/.0025, my answer was .20

The problem said "APPROXIMATELY" so I stopped at .20 (which should have been .208)

I mean, 375/18000 is .00208, but my approximate is .0020 (I stopped bec it said APPROXIMATE)

1-.0020/.0025 is 20%, as compared to the answer, 1-.00208/.0025, which is 16.7%.

16% is a huge diff from 20%. I thought when they used the word "APPROXIMATELY", I could estimate like that. How do I avoid this problem again? How do you know when to estimate like that or not? I guess if they show the answer choices, I'll get it. But I want to be sure.


They use the word 'approximate' because 16.67% is an approximation of 1/6. You cannot approximate .00208 to be .0020 since the denominator is .0025 which is quite close to .00208. If you do want to approximate, you can use .0021 instead. Of course, options will help.
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

GMAT self-study has never been more personalized or more fun. Try ORION Free!

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 01 Jun 2011
Posts: 127
Re: Percent and Weighted averages  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2011, 04:39
gablaze23 wrote:
I made it until .00208/.0025, my answer was .20

The problem said "APPROXIMATELY" so I stopped at .20 (which should have been .208)

I mean, 375/18000 is .00208, but my approximate is .0020 (I stopped bec it said APPROXIMATE)

1-.0020/.0025 is 20%, as compared to the answer, 1-.00208/.0025, which is 16.7%.

16% is a huge diff from 20%. I thought when they used the word "APPROXIMATELY", I could estimate like that. How do I avoid this problem again? How do you know when to estimate like that or not? I guess if they show the answer choices, I'll get it. But I want to be sure.


Agree. There are no variants in the question. In case if there will be a big gap btw possible answer the one can save some time.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 10 Jan 2011
Posts: 161
Location: India
GMAT Date: 07-16-2012
GPA: 3.4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge
Re: Percent and Weighted averages  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2011, 10:22
Year 0 --> 300/12000= 1/40
year 1 ---> 375/18000 = 1/48

%change = (1/40 -1/48)/1/40 *100 = 16.6666
_________________

-------Analyze why option A in SC wrong-------

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 29 Jan 2011
Posts: 9
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Schools: HKUST, ISB
GMAT Date: 11-20-2011
GPA: 3.6
WE: Business Development (Other)
Reviews Badge
Re: Percent and Weighted averages  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2011, 11:33
% Decrease = 100 - New Ratio/Old Ratio x 100
100 - 375/18*12/300*100
16.67%
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 29 Aug 2011
Posts: 20
Re: Percent and Weighted averages  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2013, 02:49
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
mustu wrote:
Hello,

A store sold 300 hammers and 12,000 nails on year 0 and 375 hammers and 18,000 nails on year 1. By approximately what percent did the ratio of hammers sold to nails sold decrease?


I have picked up this question from the MGMAT offical guide.

OA = 16.7%

Can someone please explain me the steps to reach the solution. I am lost in the middle ..

Regards
Mustu


Another approach:
The number of hammers increased by 25%.
Number of nails increased by 50%.
The new ratio is 1.25/1.5 = 5/6 as compared to 1 before. Hence it decreased by 1/6 which is 16.67%


Karishma,
This is a fantastic approach. Would this work even though hammers are increasing and nails are decreasing in % something like
The number of hammers increased by 25%.
Number of nails decreased by 50%.
The new ratio - 1.25/0.5 ?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 29 Aug 2011
Posts: 20
Re: Percent and Weighted averages  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2013, 03:03
nishtil wrote:
Year 0 --> 300/12000= 1/40
year 1 ---> 375/18000 = 1/48

%change = (1/40 -1/48)/1/40 *100 = 16.6666



Before coming to this post, I was thinking why hasn't anybody solved the problem this way. I solved this way but after looking at other solutions I thought I got answer by fluke
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Status: The Best Or Nothing
Joined: 27 Dec 2012
Posts: 1829
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Technology
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: A store sold 300 hammers and 12,000 nails on year 0 and 375  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2013, 03:26
300/12000 = 1/40
375/18000 = 1/48

1/40 got reduced to (1/40-1/48), so 100 would get reduced to:

{100 x (1/40-1/48)} / (1/40)
= 100 x { (48-40) / 48 x 40 } x 40
= 100 x 8 / 48
= 16.66
_________________

Kindly press "+1 Kudos" to appreciate :)

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 Feb 2016
Posts: 6
Re: In the first quarter of 2008, Harry's Hardware Store sold 30  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Feb 2016, 15:00
1
imerial wrote:
There's an easier way to do it.
300h + 1200n in year 0
375h + 1800n in year 1
75h+600n is the difference
75/600 = 1/8 or 16.67



I dont think 1/8 equals 16.67
CEO
CEO
User avatar
D
Joined: 12 Sep 2015
Posts: 3009
Location: Canada
Re: In the first quarter of 2008, Harry's Hardware Store sold 30  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2016, 15:39
1
Top Contributor
1
mustu wrote:
In the first quarter of 2008, Harry's Hardware Store sold 300 hammers and 12,000 nails. In the second quarter of 2008, the store sold 375 hammers and 18,000 nails. By approximately what percent did the ratio of hammers sold to nails sold decrease from the first quarter to the second quarter.

A. 0.4%
B. 2.1%
C. 2.5%
D. 17%
E. 25%


1st quarter: hammers/nails = 300/12,000 = 150/6000
2nd quarter: hammers/nails = 375/18,000 = 125/6000
ASIDE: It's useful to write both ratios with the same denominator. This allows us to IGNORE the denominator and focus solely on the numerators.

So, our ratio went from 150/6000 to 125/6000
Ignoring the denominators, we went from 150 to 125
The percent change = 100(difference in values)/(original value)
= (100)(150 - 125)/150
= (100)(25)/150)
= (100)(1)/(6)
= 100/6
≈ 16.666...

Answer: [you-tube]D[/you-tube]

RELATED VIDEO

_________________

Brent Hanneson – GMATPrepNow.com
Image
Sign up for our free Question of the Day emails

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 30 Sep 2016
Posts: 7
Re: In the first quarter of 2008, Harry's Hardware Store sold 30  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2016, 05:17
GMATPrepNow wrote:
mustu wrote:
In the first quarter of 2008, Harry's Hardware Store sold 300 hammers and 12,000 nails. In the second quarter of 2008, the store sold 375 hammers and 18,000 nails. By approximately what percent did the ratio of hammers sold to nails sold decrease from the first quarter to the second quarter.

A. 0.4%
B. 2.1%
C. 2.5%
D. 17%
E. 25%


1st quarter: hammers/nails = 300/12,000 = 150/6000
2nd quarter: hammers/nails = 375/18,000 = 125/6000
ASIDE: It's useful to write both ratios with the same denominator. This allows us to IGNORE the denominator and focus solely on the numerators.

So, our ratio went from 150/6000 to 125/6000
Ignoring the denominators, we went from 150 to 125
The percent change = 100(difference in values)/(original value)
= (100)(150 - 125)/150
= (100)(25)/150)
= (100)(1)/(6)
= 100/6
≈ 16.666...

Answer: [you-tube]D[/you-tube]


Would you mind explaining how you got those 6000 ie common denominator under 2 minutes? What approach did you take?
Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 09 Sep 2013
Posts: 8446
Premium Member
Re: In the first quarter of 2008, Harry's Hardware Store sold 30  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2018, 11:50
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
_________________

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: In the first quarter of 2008, Harry's Hardware Store sold 30 &nbs [#permalink] 08 Apr 2018, 11:50
Display posts from previous: Sort by

In the first quarter of 2008, Harry's Hardware Store sold 30

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.