GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Oct 2018, 23:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

In the rectangular coordinate system above, if the coordinates of poin

post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
In the rectangular coordinate system above, if the coordinates of poin  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2016, 20:29
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

74% (00:56) correct 26% (01:05) wrong based on 108 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In the rectangular coordinate system above, if the coordinates of point P are (5,y), what is the value of y?

(1) The coordinates of point M are (5,0).

(2) The coordinates of point N are (0,−4).

Attachments

index.jpg
index.jpg [ 7.43 KiB | Viewed 2101 times ]

Intern
Intern
Re: In the rectangular coordinate system above, if the coordinates of poin  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2016, 20:35
I am getting E

Since we are not sure whether NP is perpendicular to MP, we cant determine y=-4..

Can we trust the figure in DS?
Director
Director
G
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Premium Member
Re: In the rectangular coordinate system above, if the coordinates of poin  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2016, 00:11
saurabh87 wrote:
I am getting E

Since we are not sure whether NP is perpendicular to MP, we cant determine y=-4..

Can we trust the figure in DS?

Although not drawn to scale ... we can take NP to be perpendicular to Y axis and MP perpendicular to X axis.

though we cannot say info in statement 1 is sufficient.
statement 2 is definitely sufficient.
Manager
Manager
G
Reviews Badge
In the rectangular coordinate system above, if the coordinates of poin  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2016, 00:39
How do you know PN is parallel to the x-axis. If it is given that it is parallel, then the answer will be B.
The answer should be E in this case.

------------------------------------

P.S. Don't forget to give kudos :)

P.S. Don't forget to give Kudos :)

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2016, 00:47
B.Statement 2 alone is sufficient.
The points M and N are projections of P on x and y coordinates. So PN || x axis and PM || y axis.

Sent from my A114 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
G
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2016, 00:53
ShreyasCM wrote:
The points M and N are projections of P on x and y coordinates. So PN || x axis and PM || y axis.

ShreyasCM
It is nowhere stated that M and N are projections of P on x and y coordinates. As far as I know, one should always consider what is given in the question rather then 'assume' on his/her own. P can have coordinates (5, -4.00000000000000000000001). In this case also the figure would look like the one given in the question.

P.S. Don't forget to give Kudos :)

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2016, 01:28
14101992 wrote:
ShreyasCM wrote:

ShreyasCM
It is nowhere stated that M and N are projections of P on x and y coordinates. As far as I know, one should always consider what is given in the question rather then 'assume' on his/her own. P can have coordinates (5, -4.00000000000000000000001). In this case also the figure would look like the one given in the question.

For your kind information can you please check the OA mentioned in the below link,

www.gmatclub/forum/in-rectangular-coord ... 221304.htm

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2016, 06:05
saurabh87 wrote:
In the rectangular coordinate system above, if the coordinates of point P are (5,y), what is the value of y?

Experts please explain why B??
Director
Director
B
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 19 Jul 2016, 11:51
saurabh87 wrote:

We need the exact coordinate for y

I am working with the assumptions that they dotted lines are supposed to be parallel to the x and y axis. (this belief was bolstered when I saw the 2nd statement and found out that p and m has the same x coordinate x=5 and thus the sole purpose of the dotted line is to show parallelism. If you don't agree then the answer will change to E)
All we know from this is that p and m are two points on a vertical line passing through x=5
Gives no info about y. Not even some other hint to derive "y" by using distance formula or midpoint formula, pythagorys theorem... NOTHING to move with forward with.
INSUFFICIENT

(2) The coordinates of point N are (0,−4)
Delivers us the value of Y on a platter. y = -4
This is what we are looking for. P becomes (5,-4)
SUFFICIENT

ANSWER IS B

Posting an answer without an explanation is "GOD COMPLEX". The world doesn't need any more gods. Please explain you answers properly.
FINAL GOODBYE :- 17th SEPTEMBER 2016. .. 16 March 2017 - I am back but for all purposes please consider me semi-retired.

Originally posted by LogicGuru1 on 19 Jul 2016, 11:04.
Last edited by LogicGuru1 on 19 Jul 2016, 11:51, edited 1 time in total.
CEO
CEO
D

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2016, 11:32
Top Contributor
I have a feeling that the diagram in the original question (in the Princeton Review book) had some information that was not included in the poster's diagram.
I say this because, without any additional information, the answer is E

Brent Hanneson – GMATPrepNow.com

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Schulich '16

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2016, 00:34
answer should be E.

as discussed above nowhere it is stated that line is parallel to x axis.
Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2016, 10:55
saurabh87 wrote:

Answer should be B.

OG clearly states that Diagrams should be taken as a source of truth unless clearly stated that Diagrams are not drawn to scale.

Since, in this question, nothing of that sort is mentioned, we will assume(as per OG) that PM and NP are perpendicular to respective axis.

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.

New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!

Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

Check our new About Us Page here.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2018, 08:22
abhimahna wrote:
saurabh87 wrote:

Answer should be B.

OG clearly states that Diagrams should be taken as a source of truth unless clearly stated that Diagrams are not drawn to scale.

Since, in this question, nothing of that sort is mentioned, we will assume(as per OG) that PM and NP are perpendicular to respective axis.

Can you provide a reference for this? :)
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2018, 08:58
truongvu31 wrote:
abhimahna wrote:
saurabh87 wrote:

Answer should be B.

Can you provide a reference for this? :)

In its current form, the answer tot the question is E, not C. We cannot assume that angle P is 90 degrees. This is why the question is tagged as poor quality.

LOCKING THE TOPIC.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

GMAT Club Bot
Re: In the rectangular coordinate system above, if the coordinates of poin &nbs [#permalink] 24 Mar 2018, 08:58

In the rectangular coordinate system above, if the coordinates of poin

post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap