GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 10 Dec 2018, 20:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
2526272829301
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
303112345
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free lesson on number properties

     December 10, 2018

     December 10, 2018

     10:00 PM PST

     11:00 PM PST

    Practice the one most important Quant section - Integer properties, and rapidly improve your skills.
  • Free GMAT Prep Hour

     December 11, 2018

     December 11, 2018

     09:00 PM EST

     10:00 PM EST

    Strategies and techniques for approaching featured GMAT topics. December 11 at 9 PM EST.

In the United States, a jury consists either of six citizens, in a civ

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 51072
In the United States, a jury consists either of six citizens, in a civ  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2018, 01:45
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  35% (medium)

Question Stats:

68% (00:53) correct 32% (00:44) wrong based on 232 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In the United States, a jury consists either of six citizens, in a civil case, or the twelve required by a criminal case.


A. either of six citizens, in a civil case, or the twelve required by

B. either of six citizens, in a civil case, or of the twelve required by

C. either of six citizens, in a civil case, or the twelve required for

D. of either six citizens, in a civil case, or of the twelve required for

E. of either six citizens, in a civil case, or the twelve required for

_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 21 Mar 2017
Posts: 7
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
Re: In the United States, a jury consists either of six citizens, in a civ  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2018, 04:03
1
The OA should be E.

B and E satisfy the idiom either X or Y. However, B seems to be too specific for a particular case which is not what sentence wants to convey. Hence, E.
Retired Moderator
User avatar
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 4547
Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Re: In the United States, a jury consists either of six citizens, in a civ  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2018, 05:06
Top Contributor
In the United States, a jury consists either of six citizens, in a civil case, or the twelve required by a criminal case.


A. either of six citizens, in a civil case, or the twelve required by

B. either of six citizens, in a civil case, or of the twelve required by

C. either of six citizens, in a civil case, or the twelve required for

D. of either six citizens, in a civil case, or of the twelve required for

E. of either six citizens, in a civil case, or the twelve required fo


Whenever ever we see correlative conjunction in use such as 'either… or', the immediate task should be to check the either X or Y parallelism.

A. either of six citizens, in a civil case, or the twelve required by 1. -- either of … the twelve is wrong //ism
same 2. 'required by' is unidiomatic since the criminal case does not need anything but the law does.

B. either of six citizens, in a civil case, or of the twelve required by --- Error No 2 of A.
C. either of six citizens, in a civil case, or the twelve required for ---Error No 1 of A.
--- either six or of twelve is wrong.
D. of either six citizens, in a civil case, or of the twelve required for -- 'either six or of' is wrong

E. of either six citizens, in a civil case, or the twelve required for -- correct choice.
_________________

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 14 Feb 2018
Posts: 395
Re: In the United States, a jury consists either of six citizens, in a civ  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2018, 05:09
1
A. ((either of)) six citizens, in a civil case, ((or the)) twelve required ((by)) - incorrect parallelism and incorrect preposition

B. either of six citizens, in a civil case, or of the twelve required ((by)) - incorrect preposition

C. ((either of)) six citizens, in a civil case, ((or the)) twelve required for - incorrect parallelism

D. ((of either)) six citizens, in a civil case, ((or of)) the twelve required for - incorrect parallelism

E. //of either six// citizens, in a civil case, //or the twelve// required //for// - correct parallelism

Thus, according to me E is best.

Sent from my Lenovo K53a48 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 21 Jul 2012
Posts: 80
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
Re: In the United States, a jury consists either of six citizens, in a civ  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2018, 23:16
Bunuel could you explain why the answer is D and not E?
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 51072
Re: In the United States, a jury consists either of six citizens, in a civ  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2018, 23:20
1
prashant6923 wrote:
Bunuel could you explain why the answer is D and not E?


MAGOOSH OFFICIAL SOLUTION:



Split #1: logical mistake. Both “required by” and “required for” are grammatically correct, but they mean very different things. We have to think about the meaning in context. The fundamental contrast of the sentence concerns: how many folks on a civil jury vs. how many folks on a criminal jury — that’s 6 vs. 12. What the sentence wants to say is “the twelve required for a criminal case.” In other words, something else, outside of the sentence, requires a criminal jury to have 12 members. That’s the correct meaning.

The structure “the twelve required by a criminal case” means that, somewhere unspecified, there’s a single criminal case that, for some reason, has made a requirement, a requirement for “the twelve” to do something, what we don’t know!! That’s nonsense!! That is completely different from the contrast the sentence is trying to establish. Therefore, the choices with “by“, choices (A) and (B), are incorrect.

Split #2: placement of the preposition and the correlative conjunctions:

(A) either of …. or … (once inside = incorrect)

(B) either of …. or of … (twice inside = correct)

(C) either of …. or … (once inside = incorrect)

(D) of either …. or of … (once outside, once inside = incorrect)

(E) of either …. or … (once outside = correct)

Because of both of these splits, (E) is the only possible answer.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 15 Dec 2017
Posts: 15
Re: In the United States, a jury consists either of six citizens, in a civ  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2018, 03:01
Bunuel wrote:
prashant6923 wrote:
Bunuel could you explain why the answer is D and not E?


MAGOOSH OFFICIAL SOLUTION:



Split #1: logical mistake. Both “required by” and “required for” are grammatically correct, but they mean very different things. We have to think about the meaning in context. The fundamental contrast of the sentence concerns: how many folks on a civil jury vs. how many folks on a criminal jury — that’s 6 vs. 12. What the sentence wants to say is “the twelve required for a criminal case.” In other words, something else, outside of the sentence, requires a criminal jury to have 12 members. That’s the correct meaning.

The structure “the twelve required by a criminal case” means that, somewhere unspecified, there’s a single criminal case that, for some reason, has made a requirement, a requirement for “the twelve” to do something, what we don’t know!! That’s nonsense!! That is completely different from the contrast the sentence is trying to establish. Therefore, the choices with “by“, choices (A) and (B), are incorrect.

Split #2: placement of the preposition and the correlative conjunctions:

(A) either of …. or … (once inside = incorrect)

(B) either of …. or of … (twice inside = correct)

(C) either of …. or … (once inside = incorrect)

(D) of either …. or of … (once outside, once inside = incorrect)

(E) of either …. or … (once outside = correct)

Because of both of these splits, (E) is the only possible answer.




I understand. But the OA lists the answer as "D"
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 51072
Re: In the United States, a jury consists either of six citizens, in a civ  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2018, 03:07
yonseiglobalstudent wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
prashant6923 wrote:
Bunuel could you explain why the answer is D and not E?


MAGOOSH OFFICIAL SOLUTION:



Split #1: logical mistake. Both “required by” and “required for” are grammatically correct, but they mean very different things. We have to think about the meaning in context. The fundamental contrast of the sentence concerns: how many folks on a civil jury vs. how many folks on a criminal jury — that’s 6 vs. 12. What the sentence wants to say is “the twelve required for a criminal case.” In other words, something else, outside of the sentence, requires a criminal jury to have 12 members. That’s the correct meaning.

The structure “the twelve required by a criminal case” means that, somewhere unspecified, there’s a single criminal case that, for some reason, has made a requirement, a requirement for “the twelve” to do something, what we don’t know!! That’s nonsense!! That is completely different from the contrast the sentence is trying to establish. Therefore, the choices with “by“, choices (A) and (B), are incorrect.

Split #2: placement of the preposition and the correlative conjunctions:

(A) either of …. or … (once inside = incorrect)

(B) either of …. or of … (twice inside = correct)

(C) either of …. or … (once inside = incorrect)

(D) of either …. or of … (once outside, once inside = incorrect)

(E) of either …. or … (once outside = correct)

Because of both of these splits, (E) is the only possible answer.




I understand. But the OA lists the answer as "D"

_______________________
It's E. Edited. Thank you.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 12 Mar 2018
Posts: 76
Re: In the United States, a jury consists either of six citizens, in a civ  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2018, 05:30
what's wrong with b? could anyone explain?
GMAT Club Bot
Re: In the United States, a jury consists either of six citizens, in a civ &nbs [#permalink] 04 Dec 2018, 05:30
Display posts from previous: Sort by

In the United States, a jury consists either of six citizens, in a civ

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.