It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 03:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Inequality and absolute value questions from my collection

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
100 KUDOS received
Math Expert
V

Kudos [?]: 128514 [100], given: 12179

Inequality and absolute value questions from my collection [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2009, 11:33
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Guys I didn't forget your request, just was collecting good questions to post.

So here are some inequality and absolute value questions from my collection. Not every problem below is hard, but there are a few, which are quite tricky. Please provide your explanations along with the answers.

1. If \(6*x*y = x^2*y + 9*y\), what is the value of xy?
(1) \(y – x = 3\)
(2) \(x^3< 0\)

Solution: inequality-and-absolute-value-questions-from-my-collection-86939-20.html#p653690

2. If y is an integer and \(y = |x| + x\), is \(y = 0\)?
(1) \(x < 0\)
(2) \(y < 1\)

Solution: inequality-and-absolute-value-questions-from-my-collection-86939-20.html#p653695

3. Is \(x^2 + y^2 > 4a\)?
(1) \((x + y)^2 = 9a\)
(2) \((x – y)^2 = a\)

Solution: inequality-and-absolute-value-questions-from-my-collection-86939-40.html#p653697

4. Are x and y both positive?
(1) \(2x-2y=1\)
(2) \(\frac{x}{y}>1\)

Solution: inequality-and-absolute-value-questions-from-my-collection-86939-40.html#p653709

5. What is the value of y?
(1) \(3|x^2 -4| = y - 2\)
(2) \(|3 - y| = 11\)

Solution: inequality-and-absolute-value-questions-from-my-collection-86939-40.html#p653731

6. If x and y are integer, is y > 0?
(1) \(x +1 > 0\)
(2) \(xy > 0\)

Solution: inequality-and-absolute-value-questions-from-my-collection-86939-40.html#p653740

7. \(|x+2|=|y+2|\) what is the value of x+y?
(1) \(xy<0\)
(2) \(x>2\), \(y<2\)

Solution: inequality-and-absolute-value-questions-from-my-collection-86939-40.html#p653783 AND inequality-and-absolute-value-questions-from-my-collection-86939-160.html#p1111747

8. \(a*b \neq 0\). Is \(\frac{|a|}{|b|}=\frac{a}{b}\)?
(1) \(|a*b|=a*b\)
(2) \(\frac{|a|}{|b|}=|\frac{a}{b}|\)

Solution: inequality-and-absolute-value-questions-from-my-collection-86939-40.html#p653789

9. Is n<0?
(1) \(-n=|-n|\)
(2) \(n^2=16\)

Solution: inequality-and-absolute-value-questions-from-my-collection-86939-40.html#p653792

10. If n is not equal to 0, is |n| < 4 ?
(1) \(n^2 > 16\)
(2) \(\frac{1}{|n|} > n\)

Solution: inequality-and-absolute-value-questions-from-my-collection-86939-40.html#p653796

11. Is \(|x+y|>|x-y|\)?
(1) \(|x| > |y|\)
(2) \(|x-y| < |x|\)

Solution: inequality-and-absolute-value-questions-from-my-collection-86939-40.html#p653853

12. Is r=s?
(1) \(-s \leq r \leq s\)
(2) \(|r| \geq s\)

Solution: inequality-and-absolute-value-questions-from-my-collection-86939-40.html#p653870

13. Is \(|x-1| < 1\)?
(1) \((x-1)^2 \leq 1\)
(2) \(x^2 - 1 > 0\)

Solution: inequality-and-absolute-value-questions-from-my-collection-86939-40.html#p653886

Official answers (OA's) and detailed solutions are in my posts on pages 2 and 3.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Kudos [?]: 128514 [100], given: 12179

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 22

Re: Inequality and absolute value questions from my collection [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2015, 22:22
Bunuel wrote:
2. If y is an integer and y = |x| + x, is y = 0?
(1) x < 0
(2) y < 1

Note: as \(y=|x|+x\) then \(y\) is never negative. For \(x>{0}\) then \(y=x+x=2x\) and for \(x\leq{0}\) then (when x is negative or zero) then \(y=-x+x=0\).

(1) \(x<0\) --> \(y=|x|+x=-x+x=0\). Sufficient.

(2) \(y<1\), as we concluded y is never negative, and we are given that \(y\) is an integer, hence \(y=0\). Sufficient.

Answer: D.

Hi Bunuel,

I do agree with option 1 but donot agree with option 2, as the x value can be positive value such as 0.25 etc.so the Y value shall be 0.50, in this case how do we deduce.

Kind Regards,

J

"When the going gets tough, the tough get going"

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 22

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Kudos [?]: 128514 [0], given: 12179

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2015, 04:35
Sapient wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
(1) x < 0
(2) y < 1

Note: as \(y=|x|+x\) then \(y\) is never negative. For \(x>{0}\) then \(y=x+x=2x\) and for \(x\leq{0}\) then (when x is negative or zero) then \(y=-x+x=0\).

(2) \(y<1\), as we concluded y is never negative, and we are given that \(y\) is an integer, hence \(y=0\). Sufficient.

Hi Bunuel,

I do agree with option 1 but donot agree with option 2, as the x value can be positive value such as 0.25 etc.so the Y value shall be 0.50, in this case how do we deduce.

Your question is not clear... Also, notice that we are given that y is an integer, so it cannot be 0.5.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

Expert Post
SVP
SVP
G

Kudos [?]: 2272 [0], given: 51

GMAT: INSIGHT
WE: Education (Education)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2015, 05:57
Sapient wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
(1) x < 0
(2) y < 1

Hi Bunuel,

Statement 2: \(y<1\)

Since we know that \(y = |x| + x\)

case 1: x>0.... In this case y = 2x and will be positive
case 2: x<0.... In this case y = 0
i.e. Y can never be Negative

This statement tells us that Y is an Integer less than 1 therefore 0 is the only possible value of y

Hence, SUFFICIENT

I hope this helps!

Prosper!!!
GMATinsight
Bhoopendra Singh and Dr.Sushma Jha
e-mail: info@GMATinsight.com I Call us : +91-9999687183 / 9891333772
Online One-on-One Skype based classes and Classroom Coaching in South and West Delhi
http://www.GMATinsight.com/testimonials.html

22 ONLINE FREE (FULL LENGTH) GMAT CAT (PRACTICE TESTS) LINK COLLECTION

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 16

GMAT 1: 620 Q38 V37
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
WE: Analyst (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2015, 13:34
Bunuel wrote:
jayaddula wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
7. |x+2|=|y+2| what is the value of x+y?
(1) xy<0
(2) x>2 y<2

This one is quite interesting.

First note that |x+2|=|y+2| can take only two possible forms:

A. x+2=y+2 --> x=y. This will occur if and only x and y are both >= than -2 OR both <= than -2. In that case x=y. Which means that their product will always be positive or zero when x=y=0.
B. x+2=-y-2 --> x+y=-4. This will occur when either x or y is less then -2 and the other is more than -2.

When we have scenario A, xy will be nonnegative only. Hence if xy is negative we have scenario B and x+y=-4. Also note that vise-versa is not right. Meaning that we can have scenario B and xy may be positive as well as negative.

(1) xy<0 --> We have scenario B, hence x+y=-4. Sufficient.

(2) x>2 and y<2, x is not equal to y, we don't have scenario A, hence we have scenario B, hence x+y=-4. Sufficient.

Hi Bunuel,

I am getting E and just cannot understand D. Please see my solution below -
I used number picking.

A. xy<0,
x=+ and y=- For this condition choosing different values of x and y (x=2,y=-6: x=3, y=-7)satisfies the given condition in modulus. Hence x=y can be different value
or x=- and y=+ - This condition doesn't satisfy the modulus condiotion

B- x>2 and y<2 - As per the above stmt 1 - condition 1, there can be various values for x and y, hence x+y is different.

Hence E. I know I am going wrong some where, please help.

thanks
jay

In your example, both pairs give the same value for x+y: 2-6=-4 and 3-7=-4.

We can solve this question in another way:

Square both sides: \(x^2+4x+4=y^2+4y+4\) --> \(x^2-y^2+4x-4y=0\) --> \((x+y)(x-y)+4(x-y)=0\) --> \((x-y)(x+y+4)=0\) --> either \(x=y\) or \(x+y=-4\).

(1) xy<0 --> the first case is not possible, since if \(x=y\), then \(xy=x^2\geq{0}\), not \(<0\) as given in this statement, hence we have the second case: \(x+y=-4\). Sufficient.

(2) x>2 and y<2. This statement implies that \(x\neq{y}\), therefore \(x+y=-4\). Sufficient.

Hope it's clear.

Hi @Buenel, i'm having a really hard time understanding this question. First, I don't understand why x=y should imply a unique answer for x+y. Same for the second stantement, I don't fully understand why having the equation x+y=-4 ensures a unique answer. Maybe I am missing some steps. Would greatly appreciate your help, or any1 else's help (maybe different approaches will help me understand better).

Thanks in advance!

Help me with kudos to unlock tests!

Expert Post
SVP
SVP
G

GMAT: INSIGHT
WE: Education (Education)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2015, 21:22
petocities wrote:
(1) xy<0
(2) x>2 y<2

Hi @Buenel, i'm having a really hard time understanding this question. First, I don't understand why x=y should imply a unique answer for x+y. Same for the second stantement, I don't fully understand why having the equation x+y=-4 ensures a unique answer. Maybe I am missing some steps. Would greatly appreciate your help, or any1 else's help (maybe different approaches will help me understand better).

Thanks in advance!

Hi petocities,

I think this question requires more of observation about given information

|x+2|=|y+2| will be true for two possible cases of x and y

Case 1: when x = y
Case 2: For Values like (x=1 and y=-5) or (x=2 and y=-6) or (x=3 and y=-7) ...etc.

Case 1 gives inconsistent answers because for each different value of x and y, x+ywill be different
but
Case 2 always gives a consistent value of x+y=-4 (Check all set of values mentioned above in Case 2)

Statement 1 suggests that x and y are not equal (for x and y equal, their product must be Non-Negative) i.e. Case 2 prevails which always gives us x+y=-4
i.e. SUFFICIENT

Statement 2 also rules out the scenario in which x and y may be equal i.e. Case 2 prevails again leading to a consistent value of x+y=-4
i.e. SUFFICIENT

Answer: Option D

Prosper!!!
GMATinsight
Bhoopendra Singh and Dr.Sushma Jha
e-mail: info@GMATinsight.com I Call us : +91-9999687183 / 9891333772
Online One-on-One Skype based classes and Classroom Coaching in South and West Delhi
http://www.GMATinsight.com/testimonials.html

22 ONLINE FREE (FULL LENGTH) GMAT CAT (PRACTICE TESTS) LINK COLLECTION

Intern
Intern

GMAT 1: 620 Q38 V37
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
WE: Analyst (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2015, 07:36
GMATinsight wrote:
petocities wrote:
(1) xy<0
(2) x>2 y<2

Thanks in advance!

Hi petocities,

I think this question requires more of observation about given information

|x+2|=|y+2| will be true for two possible cases of x and y

Case 1: when x = y
Case 2: For Values like (x=1 and y=-5) or (x=2 and y=-6) or (x=3 and y=-7) ...etc.

Case 1 gives inconsistent answers because for each different value of x and y, x+ywill be different
but
Case 2 always gives a consistent value of x+y=-4 (Check all set of values mentioned above in Case 2)

Statement 1 suggests that x and y are not equal (for x and y equal, their product must be Non-Negative) i.e. Case 2 prevails which always gives us x+y=-4
i.e. SUFFICIENT

Statement 2 also rules out the scenario in which x and y may be equal i.e. Case 2 prevails again leading to a consistent value of x+y=-4
i.e. SUFFICIENT

Answer: Option D

Thanks a lot Bunuel, it's crystal clear now. Greatly appreciate your help. Would you say this question is 600-700?

Help me with kudos to unlock tests!

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 457 [0], given: 200

Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 580 Q46 V24
GPA: 3.88
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2015, 13:18
Bunuel wrote:
(1) n^2 > 16
(2) 1/|n| > n

Question basically asks is -4<n<4 true.

(1) n^2>16 --> n>4 or n<-4, the answer to the question is NO. Sufficient.

(2) 1/|n| > n, this is true for all negative values of n, hence we can not answer the question. Not sufficient.

Answer: A.

Hi Bunuel, I've solved this one correctly, but have one question. A is ok - no questions.
Can we manipulate Statement 2 and say |n|*n<1 as |n| is always positive we must be able to do this - but |n|*n can be also positive as it's not stated that n must be an integer, let's say 1/2*1/2<1 and it can be also any negative value as stated above.

When you’re up, your friends know who you are. When you’re down, you know who your friends are.

Share some Kudos, if my posts help you. Thank you !

800Score ONLY QUANT CAT1 51, CAT2 50, CAT3 50
GMAT PREP 670
MGMAT CAT 630
KAPLAN CAT 660

Kudos [?]: 457 [0], given: 200

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2015, 13:25
BrainLab wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
(1) n^2 > 16
(2) 1/|n| > n

Question basically asks is -4<n<4 true.

(1) n^2>16 --> n>4 or n<-4, the answer to the question is NO. Sufficient.

(2) 1/|n| > n, this is true for all negative values of n, hence we can not answer the question. Not sufficient.

Answer: A.

Hi Bunuel, I've solved this one correctly, but have one question. A is ok - no questions.
Can we manipulate Statement 2 and say |n|*n<1 as |n| is always positive we must be able to do this - but |n|*n can be also positive as it's not stated that n must be an integer, let's say 1/2*1/2<1 and it can be also any negative value as stated above.

\(\frac{1}{| n |}>n\) --> multiply by \(|n|\) (we can safely do that since |n|>0): \(n*|n| < 1\).

If \(n>0\), then we'll have \(n^2<1\) --> \(-1<n<1\). Since we consider the range when \(n>0\), then for this range we'll have \(0<n<1\).
If \(n<0\), then we'll have \(-n^2<1\) --> \(n^2>-1\). Which is true for any n from the range we consider. So, \(n*|n| < 1\) holds true for any negative value of n.

Thus \(\frac{1}{| n |}>n\) holds true if \(n<0\) and \(0<n<1\).

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 8

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2015, 08:45
Bunuel wrote:
(1) 2x-2y=1
(2) x/y>1

(1) 2x-2y=1. Well this one is clearly insufficient. You can do it with number plugging OR consider the following: x and y both positive means that point (x,y) is in the I quadrant. 2x-2y=1 --> y=x-1/2, we know it's an equation of a line and basically question asks whether this line (all (x,y) points of this line) is only in I quadrant. It's just not possible. Not sufficient.

(2) x/y>1 --> x and y have the same sign. But we don't know whether they are both positive or both negative. Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) Again it can be done with different approaches. You should just find the one which is the less time-consuming and comfortable for you personally.

One of the approaches:
\(2x-2y=1\) --> \(x=y+\frac{1}{2}\)
\(\frac{x}{y}>1\) --> \(\frac{x-y}{y}>0\) --> substitute x --> \(\frac{1}{y}>0\) --> \(y\) is positive, and as \(x=y+\frac{1}{2}\), \(x\) is positive too. Sufficient.

Answer: C.

Can you please tell me where I am going wrong:

(1)+(2)

x-y = 0.5 AND x>y
1.0 - 0.5 = 0.5 --- x>y and x,y --- both positive
-1.5 - (-2) = 0.5 --- x>y and x,y --- both negative.

So my answer was E.

Expert Post
Math Forum Moderator
B

Kudos [?]: 1722 [0], given: 792

Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Kellogg '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2015, 08:51
gauraku wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
(1) 2x-2y=1
(2) x/y>1

(1) 2x-2y=1. Well this one is clearly insufficient. You can do it with number plugging OR consider the following: x and y both positive means that point (x,y) is in the I quadrant. 2x-2y=1 --> y=x-1/2, we know it's an equation of a line and basically question asks whether this line (all (x,y) points of this line) is only in I quadrant. It's just not possible. Not sufficient.

(2) x/y>1 --> x and y have the same sign. But we don't know whether they are both positive or both negative. Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) Again it can be done with different approaches. You should just find the one which is the less time-consuming and comfortable for you personally.

One of the approaches:
\(\frac{x}{y}>1\) --> \(\frac{x-y}{y}>0\) --> substitute x --> \(\frac{1}{y}>0\) --> \(y\) is positive, and as \(x=y+\frac{1}{2}\), \(x\) is positive too. Sufficient.

Can you please tell me where I am going wrong:

(1)+(2)

x-y = 0.5 AND x>y
1.0 - 0.5 = 0.5 --- x>y and x,y --- both positive
-1.5 - (-2) = 0.5 --- x>y and x,y --- both negative.

So my answer was E.

The red part above is your mistake. When you are given, x/y > 1 --> this may or may not mean that x>y. This only means that both x and y have the same sign.

Consider the 2 cases:

x/y > 1 ---> y=1, x=3 ---> x>y but
x/y>1 ---> x= -3, y = -1 ---> x < y

This is where you are going wrong. Make sure to not multiple or divide by variables in DS questions when you dont know explicitly the signs of the variables.

Hope this helps.

Thursday with Ron updated list as of July 1st, 2015: http://gmatclub.com/forum/consolidated-thursday-with-ron-list-for-all-the-sections-201006.html#p1544515
Rules for Posting in Quant Forums: http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-please-read-this-before-posting-133935.html
Writing Mathematical Formulae in your posts: http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-please-read-this-before-posting-133935.html#p1096628
GMATCLUB Math Book: http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-math-book-in-downloadable-pdf-format-130609.html
Everything Related to Inequalities: http://gmatclub.com/forum/inequalities-made-easy-206653.html#p1582891
Inequalities tips: http://gmatclub.com/forum/inequalities-tips-and-hints-175001.html
Debrief, 650 to 750: http://gmatclub.com/forum/650-to-750-a-10-month-journey-to-the-score-203190.html

Kudos [?]: 1722 [0], given: 792

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2015, 11:04
I feel like breaking my head :-)
Thanks a lot for your response.
Will make a good note of it.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 10

Schools: IIMB (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.2
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2015, 03:57
Bunuel wrote:
3. Is x^2 + y^2 > 4a?
(1) (x + y)^2 = 9a
(2) (x – y)^2 = a

(1) (x + y)^2 = 9a --> x^2+2xy+y^2=9a. Clearly insufficient.

(2) (x – y)^2 = a --> x^2-2xy+y^2=a. Clearly insufficient.

(1)+(2) Add them up 2(x^2+y^2)=10a --> x^2+y^2=5a. Also insufficient as x,y, and a could be 0 and x^2 + y^2 > 4a won't be true, as LHS and RHS would be in that case equal to zero. Not sufficient.

Answer: E.

I have a doubt regarding this one.
The equation in the question is of a circle whose radius is \(2\sqrt{a}\).
We should find if the point (x,y) is outside this region or not. Which is also equivalent to finding the distance of the point (x,y) from origin as the center of the given circle is the origin.

stmt-1: it represents a straight line \(y=-x+3\sqrt{a}\).
Now, the nearest point on this line from origin will be at a distance equal to the perpendicular distance from origin to this line.
so that distance is \(3\sqrt{a}/ \sqrt{2}\)..... and this is greater than \(2\sqrt{a}\).
so no point represented by this line lies inside the circle. hence stmt 1 is sufficient.

stmt-2: it represents a straight line \(y=x-\sqrt{a}\).
The perpendicular distance from origin to this line is \(\sqrt{a}/\sqrt{2}\) and is less than the radius of circle.
Hence this line intersects circle at two points and this is not sufficient to say that every point on this line is outside the circle.

therefore Ans: A

Please correct me if i am wrong.

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 10

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2015, 06:40
jamesav wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
3. Is x^2 + y^2 > 4a?
(1) (x + y)^2 = 9a
(2) (x – y)^2 = a

(1) (x + y)^2 = 9a --> x^2+2xy+y^2=9a. Clearly insufficient.

(2) (x – y)^2 = a --> x^2-2xy+y^2=a. Clearly insufficient.

(1)+(2) Add them up 2(x^2+y^2)=10a --> x^2+y^2=5a. Also insufficient as x,y, and a could be 0 and x^2 + y^2 > 4a won't be true, as LHS and RHS would be in that case equal to zero. Not sufficient.

I have a doubt regarding this one.
The equation in the question is of a circle whose radius is \(2\sqrt{a}\).
We should find if the point (x,y) is outside this region or not. Which is also equivalent to finding the distance of the point (x,y) from origin as the center of the given circle is the origin.

stmt-1: it represents a straight line \(y=-x+3\sqrt{a}\).
Now, the nearest point on this line from origin will be at a distance equal to the perpendicular distance from origin to this line.
so that distance is \(3\sqrt{a}/ \sqrt{2}\)..... and this is greater than \(2\sqrt{a}\).
so no point represented by this line lies inside the circle. hence stmt 1 is sufficient.

stmt-2: it represents a straight line \(y=x-\sqrt{a}\).
The perpendicular distance from origin to this line is \(\sqrt{a}/\sqrt{2}\) and is less than the radius of circle.
Hence this line intersects circle at two points and this is not sufficient to say that every point on this line is outside the circle.

therefore Ans: A

Please correct me if i am wrong.

Please read the whole thread. Lot of useful posts there including solutions for this problem.

For example, consider a case when x=y=0 for a NO answer and x=1, y=2 and a=1 for an YES answer.

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 16

Concentration: Strategy, Other
GMAT 1: 670 Q45 V36
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 2.97
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2015, 19:46
Bunuel wrote:
(1) 2x-2y=1
(2) x/y>1

One of the approaches:

How did you figure out that \(\frac{x}{y}>1\) --> \(\frac{x-y}{y}>0\) ? Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
V

Kudos [?]: 128514 [1], given: 12179

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2015, 01:28
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Johnbreeden85 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
(1) 2x-2y=1
(2) x/y>1

One of the approaches:

How did you figure out that \(\frac{x}{y}>1\) --> \(\frac{x-y}{y}>0\) ? Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

This is explained couple of times on the previous pages:
\(\frac{x}{y}>1\)

\(\frac{x}{y}-1>0\)

\(\frac{x}{y}-\frac{y}{y}>0\)

\(\frac{x-y}{y}>0\).

Hope it's clear.

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Kudos [?]: 128514 [1], given: 12179

Intern
Intern
B

Concentration: Strategy, Other
GMAT 1: 670 Q45 V36
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 2.97
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Inequality and absolute value questions from my collection [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2015, 14:34
Bunuel wrote:
Johnbreeden85 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
(1) 2x-2y=1
(2) x/y>1

One of the approaches:

\(\frac{x}{y}>1\)

\(\frac{x}{y}-1>0\)

\(\frac{x-y}{y}>0\).

Hope it's clear.

Thank you. The only part I'm still unclear on is transitioning from \(\frac{x}{y}-1>0\) to \(\frac{x}{y}-\frac{y}{y}>0\) . I'm not sure how you would know that -1 is equal to \(\frac{y}{y}\) or what law/concept allows for the conversion of -1 to \(\frac{y}{y}\) . Thank you again.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 251

Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, General Management
WE: Engineering (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2015, 07:34
Bunuel wrote:
12. Is r=s?
(1) -s<=r<=s
(2) |r|>=s

This one is tough.

(1) -s<=r<=s, we can conclude two things from this statement:
A. s is either positive or zero, as -s<=s;
B. r is in the range (-s,s) inclusive, meaning that r can be -s as well as s.
But we don't know whether r=s or not. Not sufficient.

(2) |r|>=s, clearly insufficient.

(1)+(2) -s<=r<=s, s is not negative, |r|>=s --> r>=s or r<=-s. This doesn't imply that r=s, from this r can be -s as well.
Consider: s=5, r=5 --> -5<=5<=5 |5|>=5
s=5, r=-5 --> -5<=-5<=5 |-5|>=5
Both statements are true with these values. Hence insufficient.

Hi Bunuel,

This was my thought process, is it correct?

Stmt 1: -s<=r<=s => |r| <= s => Not sufficient since r can also be less than s
Stmt 2: |r|>=s => Not sufficient since r can be greater than s

Combining: |r| <= s and |r| >= s --> |r| = s --> r = s or r = -s --> Not sufficient

Hence, E

+1 Kudos if you liked my post! Thank you!

Manager
Manager

Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, General Management
WE: Engineering (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2015, 07:39
Johnbreeden85 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Johnbreeden85 wrote:

\(\frac{x}{y}>1\)

\(\frac{x}{y}-1>0\)

\(\frac{x-y}{y}>0\).

Hope it's clear.

Thank you. The only part I'm still unclear on is transitioning from \(\frac{x}{y}-1>0\) to \(\frac{x}{y}-\frac{y}{y}>0\) . I'm not sure how you would know that -1 is equal to \(\frac{y}{y}\) or what law/concept allows for the conversion of -1 to \(\frac{y}{y}\) . Thank you again.

Hi,

Forget about thinking how -1 is equal to \(\frac{y}{y}\)
You must be aware of cross multiplication, so here it goes:

\(\frac{x}{y}-1>0\)
cross multiply now to get a common denominator:
\(\frac{x - y}{y}>0\)

Visualise it with numbers:
\(\frac{9}{5}-1>0\)
cross multiply now to get a common denominator:
\(\frac{9 - 5}{5}>0\)

Hope this helps.

+1 Kudos if you liked my post! Thank you!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2016, 12:20
3. Is x^2 + y^2 > 4a?
(1) (x + y)^2 = 9a
(2) (x – y)^2 = a

x^2 + y^2 >= 2xy
(x-y)^2 >= 0
=> x^2 +y^2-2xy >= 0
=> x^2 + y^2 >= 2xy

With this in mind,
Statement 1: (x+y)^2 = 9a
=> (x^2+y^2)+2xy = 9a
X^2+y^2 >= 4.5a

Sufficient

II is not sufficient

Answer: A

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2016, 12:22
anirbanroy wrote:
3. Is x^2 + y^2 > 4a?
(1) (x + y)^2 = 9a
(2) (x – y)^2 = a

x^2 + y^2 >= 2xy
(x-y)^2 >= 0
=> x^2 +y^2-2xy >= 0
=> x^2 + y^2 >= 2xy

With this in mind,
Statement 1: (x+y)^2 = 9a
=> (x^2+y^2)+2xy = 9a
X^2+y^2 >= 4.5a

Sufficient

II is not sufficient

Answer: A

The answer is E. Check here: inequality-and-absolute-value-questions-from-my-collection-86939-40.html#p653697

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Re: Inequality and absolute value questions from my collection   [#permalink] 04 Jan 2016, 12:22

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23    Next  [ 457 posts ] 

Inequality and absolute value questions from my collection

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap