GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Sep 2018, 15:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Inequality and absolute value questions from my collection

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Math Expert
V
Re: Inequality and absolute value questions from my collection  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2015, 01:59
rohitd80 wrote:
lagomez wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
1. If 6*x*y = x^2*y + 9*y, what is the value of xy?
(1) y – x = 3
(2) x^3< 0

First let's simplify given expression \(6*x*y = x^2*y + 9*y\):

\(y*(x^2-6x+9)=0\) --> \(y*(x-3)^2=0\). Note here that we CAN NOT reduce this expression by \(y\), as some of you did. Remember we are asked to determine the value of \(xy\), and when reducing by \(y\) you are assuming that \(y\) doesn't equal to \(0\). We don't know that.

Next: we can conclude that either \(x=3\) or/and \(y=0\). Which means that \(xy\) equals to 0, when y=0 and x any value (including 3), OR \(xy=3*y\) when y is not equal to zero, and x=3.

(1) \(y-x=3\). If y is not 0, x must be 3 and y-x to be 3, y must be 6. In this case \(xy=18\). But if y=0 then x=-3 and \(xy=0\). Two possible scenarios. Not sufficient.

(2) \(x^3<0\). x is negative, hence x is not equals to 3, hence y must be 0. So, xy=0. Sufficient.

Answer: B.

This one was quite tricky and was solved incorrectly by all of you.

Never reduce equation by variable (or expression with variable), if you are not certain that variable (or expression with variable) doesn't equal to zero. We can not divide by zero.

Never multiply (or reduce) inequality by variable (or expression with variable) if you don't know the sign of it or are not certain that variable (or expression with variable) doesn't equal to zero.

would you think this is a 700+ question?

Hi Bunuel,

Can you please comment if my approach is correct?

Given: 6*x*y = x^2*y + 9*y, which is reduced to y*(x-3)^2 = 0.......(1)

Statement [1] y-x=3 or y = x+3
sub'ing y in (1)
(x+3)(x-3)(x-3) = 0
(x^2-9)(x-3)=0
so, x^2 = 9 or x = +/-3
and x=3
therefore, y = 6 or 0 for x = 3 and -3 respectively..........Not sufficient

Statement [2]....says x < 0, so (x-3)^2 will never be = 0, y has to be it.....therefore xy=0 so sufficient!

So my question to you is whether I handled [1] properly? and whether substituting y into the original problem equation and arriving at x = +/- 3 is correct?
So far, I've learnt that Sqrt(x) will only have +x as solution as GMAT doesn;t consider -ve solution, but x^2 =25 will have +/-5 as solution so we should consider both solutions for x^2 = 25 in our analysis.....Did I get this right?
Please opine.
Thanks!

Yes, everything tis correct.

When the GMAT provides the square root sign for an even root, such as a square root, fourth root, etc. then the only accepted answer is the positive root.

That is:
\(\sqrt{9} = 3\), NOT +3 or -3;
\(\sqrt[4]{16} = 2\), NOT +2 or -2;

Notice that in contrast, the equation x^2 = 9 has TWO solutions, +3 and -3.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2015, 03:30
EgmatQuantExpert wrote:
camlan1990 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
3. Is x^2 + y^2 > 4a?
(1) (x + y)^2 = 9a
(2) (x – y)^2 = a

(1) (x + y)^2 = 9a --> x^2+2xy+y^2=9a. Clearly insufficient.

(2) (x – y)^2 = a --> x^2-2xy+y^2=a. Clearly insufficient.

(1)+(2) Add them up 2(x^2+y^2)=10a --> x^2+y^2=5a. Also insufficient as x,y, and a could be 0 and x^2 + y^2 > 4a won't be true, as LHS and RHS would be in that case equal to zero. Not sufficient.

Answer: E.

Hi Bruel,

For (1): Because (x + y)^2 <= (1^2+1^2)(x^2+y^2) => x^2+y^2 >= 4.5a > 4a. So A is sufficient?

Could you help me find out whether there is any mistake in my solution?
Thanks Bruel,

Dear camlan1990

The highlighted part in your solution above is wrong.

The correct expansion for \((x+y)^2 = x^2 + y^2 + 2xy\).

You on the other hand have wrongly written: \((x+y)^2 = 2(x^2 + y^2)\).

Hope this helped. :)

Best Regards

Japinder

Dear Japinder,

As I highlighted, (x+y)^2 is smaller or equal 2(x^2 + y^2)
e-GMAT Representative
P

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2015, 04:14
camlan1990 wrote:
EgmatQuantExpert wrote:
camlan1990 wrote:
Hi Bruel,

For (1): Because (x + y)^2 <= (1^2+1^2)(x^2+y^2) => x^2+y^2 >= 4.5a > 4a. So A is sufficient?

Could you help me find out whether there is any mistake in my solution?
Thanks Bruel,

Dear camlan1990

The highlighted part in your solution above is wrong.

The correct expansion for \((x+y)^2 = x^2 + y^2 + 2xy\).

You on the other hand have wrongly written: \((x+y)^2 = 2(x^2 + y^2)\).

Hope this helped. :)

Best Regards

Japinder

Dear Japinder,

As I highlighted, (x+y)^2 is smaller or equal 2(x^2 + y^2)

Oops camlan1990, that was my bad! I didn't notice the '<' sign in the "<=" :-D

Now I do see how you got to x^2+y^2 >= 4.5a

But please note that x = 0, y = 0 and a = 0 is one set of values that satisfies this inequality. For these values of x, y and a, the answer to the question 'Is x^2 + y^2 > 4a' is NO

For all other values of x, y and a, the answer will be YES.

Since we are not able to rule out x, y, a = 0, we cannot infer a unique answer to the posed question using St. 1 alone. So, St. 1 is not sufficient.

Hope this helped.

Japinder

Register for free sessions
Number Properties | Algebra |Quant Workshop

Success Stories
Guillermo's Success Story | Carrie's Success Story

Ace GMAT quant
Articles and Question to reach Q51 | Question of the week

Must Read Articles
Number Properties – Even Odd | LCM GCD | Statistics-1 | Statistics-2
Word Problems – Percentage 1 | Percentage 2 | Time and Work 1 | Time and Work 2 | Time, Speed and Distance 1 | Time, Speed and Distance 2
Advanced Topics- Permutation and Combination 1 | Permutation and Combination 2 | Permutation and Combination 3 | Probability
Geometry- Triangles 1 | Triangles 2 | Triangles 3 | Common Mistakes in Geometry
Algebra- Wavy line | Inequalities

Practice Questions
Number Properties 1 | Number Properties 2 | Algebra 1 | Geometry | Prime Numbers | Absolute value equations | Sets

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2015, 03:13
Bunuel wrote:
3. Is x^2 + y^2 > 4a?
(1) (x + y)^2 = 9a
(2) (x – y)^2 = a

(1)+(2) Add them up 2(x^2+y^2)=10a --> x^2+y^2=5a. Also insufficient as x,y, and a could be 0 and x^2 + y^2 > 4a won't be true, as LHS and RHS would be in that case equal to zero. Not sufficient.

Hi Bunuel,

When you combine both statements 1 and 2, why do we need to substitute any value? This is the only part which I didn't understand. Could you please explain why '0' has to be substituted as the question just asks whether x^2 + y^2 = 4a. Nothing is mentioned about what 'a' is.

Awaiting your response.

Thanks.
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2015, 03:17
adityanukala wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
3. Is x^2 + y^2 > 4a?
(1) (x + y)^2 = 9a
(2) (x – y)^2 = a

Hi Bunuel,

When you combine both statements 1 and 2, why do we need to substitute any value? This is the only part which I didn't understand. Could you please explain why '0' has to be substituted as the question just asks whether x^2 + y^2 = 4a. Nothing is mentioned about what 'a' is.

Awaiting your response.

Thanks.

The question asks whether x^2 + y^2 > 4a. If x = y = a = 0, then the answer is NO but if this is not so then the answer is YES. Please read the whole thread. This was discussed many, many, many times before.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2015, 07:14
Bunuel wrote:
4. Are x and y both positive?
(1) 2x-2y=1
(2) x/y>1

(1) 2x-2y=1. Well this one is clearly insufficient. You can do it with number plugging OR consider the following: x and y both positive means that point (x,y) is in the I quadrant. 2x-2y=1 --> y=x-1/2, we know it's an equation of a line and basically question asks whether this line (all (x,y) points of this line) is only in I quadrant. It's just not possible. Not sufficient.

(2) x/y>1 --> x and y have the same sign. But we don't know whether they are both positive or both negative. Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) Again it can be done with different approaches. You should just find the one which is the less time-consuming and comfortable for you personally.

One of the approaches:
\(2x-2y=1\) --> \(x=y+\frac{1}{2}\)
\(\frac{x}{y}>1\) --> \(\frac{x-y}{y}>0\) --> substitute x --> \(\frac{1}{y}>0\) --> \(y\) is positive, and as \(x=y+\frac{1}{2}\), \(x\) is positive too. Sufficient.

Answer: C.

Hi Bunuel ,

I tried substituting values for x and y and seem to be getting a different ans.

If we take x=-1 and y=-1.5 the ans to the question is NO, whereas if we take x=1.5 & y=1 the ans is YES. Since we are unable to ans the question,

shouldn't the ans be E? if my reasoning is flawed can you please point out the flaw.. Thanks in advance
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2015, 07:34
NavenRk wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
(1) 2x-2y=1
(2) x/y>1

(1) 2x-2y=1. Well this one is clearly insufficient. You can do it with number plugging OR consider the following: x and y both positive means that point (x,y) is in the I quadrant. 2x-2y=1 --> y=x-1/2, we know it's an equation of a line and basically question asks whether this line (all (x,y) points of this line) is only in I quadrant. It's just not possible. Not sufficient.

(2) x/y>1 --> x and y have the same sign. But we don't know whether they are both positive or both negative. Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) Again it can be done with different approaches. You should just find the one which is the less time-consuming and comfortable for you personally.

One of the approaches:
\(\frac{x}{y}>1\) --> \(\frac{x-y}{y}>0\) --> substitute x --> \(\frac{1}{y}>0\) --> \(y\) is positive, and as \(x=y+\frac{1}{2}\), \(x\) is positive too. Sufficient.

Hi Bunuel ,

If we take x=-1 and y=-1.5 the ans to the question is NO, whereas if we take x=1.5 & y=1 the ans is YES. Since we are unable to ans the question,

shouldn't the ans be E? if my reasoning is flawed can you please point out the flaw.. Thanks in advance

x = -1 and y = -1.5 does not satisfy x/y > 1.

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

SVP
SVP
P
GMAT: INSIGHT
WE: Education (Education)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2015, 07:37
NavenRk wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
(1) 2x-2y=1
(2) x/y>1

One of the approaches:

Hi Bunuel ,

Hi NavinRK,

The Flaw is

You can NOT take Values x=-1 and y=-1.5 after combining the two statements because in that case second statement x/y>1 will NOT be satisfied.

Hence the only set of values that all allowed to be taken are the one in which
Absolute value of x is greater than Absolute value of y

and

the Sign of both x and y must be same

so only Positive values are acceptable now

I hope it answers your query.

Prosper!!!
GMATinsight
Bhoopendra Singh and Dr.Sushma Jha
e-mail: info@GMATinsight.com I Call us : +91-9999687183 / 9891333772
Online One-on-One Skype based classes and Classroom Coaching in South and West Delhi
http://www.GMATinsight.com/testimonials.html

22 ONLINE FREE (FULL LENGTH) GMAT CAT (PRACTICE TESTS) LINK COLLECTION

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Technology, Social Entrepreneurship
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2015, 19:38
Thanks for such post Bunuel,

Pls explain for Q #10 part B) how N will have only negative value when n<1/lnl

Thanks
SVP
SVP
P
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2015, 22:45
lipsi18 wrote:
Thanks for such post Bunuel,

Pls explain for Q #10 part B) how N will have only negative value when n<1/lnl

Thanks

Hi Lipsi18,

The Explanations is as mentioned below:

10. If n is not equal to 0, is |n| < 4 ?
(1) n^2 > 16
(2) 1/|n| > n

Statement 2: 1/|n| > n

Multiplying |n| which is a positive value on both sides of the inequation, we get,

1> n*|n|
i.e. n*|n| < 1

Case 1: n is positive:
i.e. n^2 <1
i.e. 0<n<1

Case 2: n is negative
n*|n| <1 is true for all negative values of n

But in context of question this statement is NOT SUFFICIENT as it doesn't provide us any specific value of n
and for n=-5, |n| >4
and for n=-3, |n| <4
INCONSISTENT answer
Hence, NOT SUFFICIENT

I hope it answers your query!!!

Prosper!!!
GMATinsight
Online One-on-One Skype based classes and Classroom Coaching in South and West Delhi

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 600 Q41 V31
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2015, 03:59
Bunuel wrote:
(1) 2x-2y=1
(2) x/y>1

One of the approaches:

Also - Viewing graphically
A. 2x - 2y = 1
Put x = 1, you get y = 1.
Put x = 2, you get y = 1.5.
Make a rough plot. This is a line which agrees to negative values of both x and y as well. Insufficient.

B. x/y > 1
Both x an y can be negative. Insufficient

A + B

which means for all values x > y, which 2x - 2y = 1. This is possible only in the first quadrant whenever the value of x > 1. Sufficient.
Answer C

sorry for the flipped image :)
Attachments

File comment: graph representation
20150825034905.jpg
20150825034905.jpg [ 114.49 KiB | Viewed 821 times ]

Its not over..

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
WE: Operations (Military & Defense)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2015, 19:55
Bunuel wrote:
(1) 2x-2y=1
(2) x/y>1

One of the approaches:

I found it easy to rule out (1) and (2) as individually being insufficient. but the conclusion I drew from (2) was obviously that the absolute value of \(x\) has to be bigger than \(y\) (and of course that they are the same size), so regardless of the sign \(2x\) had to be of greater magnitude than \(2y\), and the only way for \(2x-2y=1\) was if they were both positive... I know this isn't ground breaking but it's the very simple way I arrived at the correct answer without getting too "mathsy"

If you found my post useful, please consider throwing me a Kudos... Every bit helps :)

Manager
Manager
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2015, 18:39
Bunuel wrote:
12. Is r=s?
(1) -s<=r<=s
(2) |r|>=s

This one is tough.

(1) -s<=r<=s, we can conclude two things from this statement:
A. s is either positive or zero, as -s<=s;
B. r is in the range (-s,s) inclusive, meaning that r can be -s as well as s.
But we don't know whether r=s or not. Not sufficient.

(2) |r|>=s, clearly insufficient.

(1)+(2) -s<=r<=s, s is not negative, |r|>=s --> r>=s or r<=-s. This doesn't imply that r=s, from this r can be -s as well.
Consider: s=5, r=5 --> -5<=5<=5 |5|>=5
s=5, r=-5 --> -5<=-5<=5 |-5|>=5
Both statements are true with these values. Hence insufficient.

I thought of this one graphically...

____________________-s____________s____________________________
(1) xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(2) rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrxxxxxxxxxxxxxrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
(1)&(2) xxxxxxxxxxxxxrxxxxxxxxxxxxxrxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

(1) Everything between and including \(-s\) and \(s\) INSUFF
(2) Everything outside of but still including \(-s\) and \(s\) INSUFF
(1) & (2) \(r = -s\) or \(s\)... still INSUFF

If you found my post useful, please consider throwing me a Kudos... Every bit helps :)

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 540 Q39 V26
GMAT 2: 680 Q46 V37
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2015, 12:55
Bunuel wrote:
12. Is r=s?
(1) -s<=r<=s
(2) |r|>=s

This one is tough.

(1)+(2) -s<=r<=s, s is not negative, |r|>=s --> r>=s or r<=-s. This doesn't imply that r=s, from this r can be -s as well.

Can we eliminate B on the basis that it is just a reworded form of Statement A.

My understanding is |x| <1 means -1<x<1. Similarly, -s>=r>=s, which is not possible.

Fais de ta vie un rêve et d'un rêve une réalité

Manager
Manager
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2015, 13:29
SauravPathak27 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
12. Is r=s?
(1) -s<=r<=s
(2) |r|>=s

This one is tough.

Can we eliminate B on the basis that it is just a reworded form of Statement A.

My understanding is |x| <1 means -1<x<1. Similarly, -s>=r>=s, which is not possible.

Hi SauravPathak27

I'm no expert, but hope I might be able to help.

your understanding that |x| <1 means -1<x<1 is correct.

(1) is telling us that \(r\) falls between \(-s\) and \(s\) INCLUSIVE of \(-s\) and \(s\)...... INSUFFICIENT
(2) is telling us that \(r\) falls outside \(-s\) and \(s\) INCLUSIVE of \(-s\) and \(s\)........ INSUFFICIENT
(1) & (2) together tells us that \(r\) must be equal to either \(-s\) or \(s\) but cannot determine which one........ INSUFFICIENT

Hopefully my freehand below makes it a little clearer.

If it helps.... Throw me a Kudos :)
Attachments

IMG_20150829_22738.jpg
IMG_20150829_22738.jpg [ 43.72 KiB | Viewed 1070 times ]

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.2
WE: General Management (Retail)

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2015, 12:37
3. Is x^2 + y^2 > 4a?
(1) (x + y)^2 = 9a
(2) (x – y)^2 = a

(1) (x + y)^2 = 9a
x^2 + y^2 + 2xy = 9a
x^2 + y^2 = 9a - 2xy

(2) (x – y)^2 = a
x^2 + y^2 - 2xy = a
x^2 + y^2 = a +2xy

So we can conclude that:
9a - 2xy = a + 2xy
8a = 4xy
4a = 2xy

Hence, in the first conclusion is:
x^2 + y^2 = 9a - 4a
x^2 + y^2 = 5a

Answer is C (Together, they can answer the initial question).

Am I wrong, or right?
Current Student
S
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Kellogg '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2015, 13:34
RafaelPina wrote:
3. Is x^2 + y^2 > 4a?
(1) (x + y)^2 = 9a
(2) (x – y)^2 = a

(1) (x + y)^2 = 9a
x^2 + y^2 + 2xy = 9a
x^2 + y^2 = 9a - 2xy

(2) (x – y)^2 = a
x^2 + y^2 - 2xy = a
x^2 + y^2 = a +2xy

So we can conclude that:
9a - 2xy = a + 2xy
8a = 4xy
4a = 2xy

Hence, in the first conclusion is:
x^2 + y^2 = 9a - 4a
x^2 + y^2 = 5a

Answer is C (Together, they can answer the initial question).

Am I wrong, or right?

You are correct till \(x^2+y^2=5a\) but what if x=y=0 giving you a=0. In this case, \(x^2+y^2\) will be = 4a and NOT > 4a. This is the reason why E is the correct answer.

If you were given "is \(x^2+y^2 \geq 4a\) instead of just >4a", then yes, you would have marked C as the correct answer but you are asked >4a which may or may not be true.

Hope this helps.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2015, 22:22
Bunuel wrote:
2. If y is an integer and y = |x| + x, is y = 0?
(1) x < 0
(2) y < 1

Note: as \(y=|x|+x\) then \(y\) is never negative. For \(x>{0}\) then \(y=x+x=2x\) and for \(x\leq{0}\) then (when x is negative or zero) then \(y=-x+x=0\).

(1) \(x<0\) --> \(y=|x|+x=-x+x=0\). Sufficient.

(2) \(y<1\), as we concluded y is never negative, and we are given that \(y\) is an integer, hence \(y=0\). Sufficient.

Answer: D.

Hi Bunuel,

I do agree with option 1 but donot agree with option 2, as the x value can be positive value such as 0.25 etc.so the Y value shall be 0.50, in this case how do we deduce.

Kind Regards,

J

"When the going gets tough, the tough get going"

SVP
SVP
P
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2015, 05:57
Sapient wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
2. If y is an integer and y = |x| + x, is y = 0?
(1) x < 0
(2) y < 1

Note: as \(y=|x|+x\) then \(y\) is never negative. For \(x>{0}\) then \(y=x+x=2x\) and for \(x\leq{0}\) then (when x is negative or zero) then \(y=-x+x=0\).

(1) \(x<0\) --> \(y=|x|+x=-x+x=0\). Sufficient.

(2) \(y<1\), as we concluded y is never negative, and we are given that \(y\) is an integer, hence \(y=0\). Sufficient.

Answer: D.

Hi Bunuel,

I do agree with option 1 but donot agree with option 2, as the x value can be positive value such as 0.25 etc.so the Y value shall be 0.50, in this case how do we deduce.

Statement 2: \(y<1\)

Since we know that \(y = |x| + x\)

case 1: x>0.... In this case y = 2x and will be positive
case 2: x<0.... In this case y = 0
i.e. Y can never be Negative

This statement tells us that Y is an Integer less than 1 therefore 0 is the only possible value of y

Hence, SUFFICIENT

I hope this helps!

Prosper!!!
GMATinsight

Re: Inequality and absolute value questions from my collection &nbs [#permalink] 06 Oct 2015, 05:57

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11    Next  [ 214 posts ] 

Inequality and absolute value questions from my collection

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap