Last visit was: 02 May 2024, 14:09 It is currently 02 May 2024, 14:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 620777 [2]
Given Kudos: 81730
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1048 [6]
Given Kudos: 630
Schools: Ross '25 (M$)
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Re: Ioan Culianu, a historian of religion, eventually became a professor [#permalink]
Kudos
Why not (E)? We have 2 past events.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 620777 [1]
Given Kudos: 81730
Send PM
Re: Ioan Culianu, a historian of religion, eventually became a professor [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:
Ioan Culianu, a historian of religion, eventually became a professor at the University of Chicago and defected from his native Romania.

A. eventually became a professor at the University of Chicago and defected from his native Romania
B. eventually became a professor at the University of Chicago and had defected from his native Romania
C. eventually became a professor at the University of Chicago and he defected from his native Romania
D. defected from his native Romania and eventually became a professor at the University of Chicago
E. had defected from his native Romania and he eventually became a professor at the University of Chicago

Official Explanation:

Read the Original Sentence Carefully, Looking for Errors:

The order of events in this sentence is unclear. A citizen of one country does not usually become a professor in another country until after he has defected from his native country—or at least immigrated to the new country. So look for an answer choice that puts first things first. Furthermore, in the original, “eventually” can confuse the reader into thinking, at least momentarily, that both the professorship and the defection were eventual. The more likely case is that the defection eventually led to a professorship.

Scan and Group the Answer Choices:

(A), (B), and (C) keep "became a professor" and "defected" in the original order, retaining the ambiguity. (D) and (E) clear things up by moving "became a professor" to a later part of the sentence.

Eliminate Wrong Answer Choices:

(A), (B), and (C) fail to make the order of events clear, so they can be eliminated.

(E) makes the sequence clear but adds the unnecessary words "had" (before "defected") and "he" (before "eventually").

(D) makes the order of events clear without inserting redundant words. Therefore, it is correct.

TAKEAWAY: If the events in a sentence must have happened in a particular order, choose the answer that presents them in that order without making any additional errors.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts