GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Nov 2018, 23:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
28293031123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
2526272829301
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

     November 17, 2018

     November 17, 2018

     07:00 AM PST

     09:00 AM PST

    Nov. 17, 7 AM PST. Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.
  • GMATbuster's Weekly GMAT Quant Quiz # 9

     November 17, 2018

     November 17, 2018

     09:00 AM PST

     11:00 AM PST

    Join the Quiz Saturday November 17th, 9 AM PST. The Quiz will last approximately 2 hours. Make sure you are on time or you will be at a disadvantage.

Is n > 6?

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 11 Dec 2010
Posts: 106
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Is n > 6?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2012, 23:18
2
6
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  15% (low)

Question Stats:

74% (00:33) correct 26% (00:32) wrong based on 485 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Is n > 6?

(1) \(\sqrt{n} > 2.5\)
(2) \(n > \sqrt{37}\)

The answer to option 2 can be n>6 or n<-6. Please explain why option 2 is sufficient. Thanks.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 50615
Re: Is n > 6?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2012, 14:23
5
8
riteshv wrote:
can Sqrt take a negative form . ?


When the GMAT provides the square root sign for an even root, such as \(\sqrt{x}\) or \(\sqrt[4]{x}\), then the only accepted answer is the positive root.

That is, \(\sqrt{25}=5\), NOT +5 or -5. In contrast, the equation \(x^2=25\) has TWO solutions, \(\sqrt{25}=+5\) and \(-\sqrt{25}=-5\). Even roots have only non-negative value on the GMAT.

Odd roots will have the same sign as the base of the root. For example, \(\sqrt[3]{125} =5\) and \(\sqrt[3]{-64} =-4\).

Hope it helps.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

General Discussion
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 50615
Is n > 6?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2012, 23:31
2
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 06 Apr 2011
Posts: 17
Re: Is n > 6?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2012, 09:38
can Sqrt take a negative form . ?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Sep 2011
Posts: 61
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 520 Q34 V27
GMAT 3: 690 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.01
WE: Information Technology (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Is n > 6?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2012, 13:06
2
riteshv wrote:
can Sqrt take a negative form . ?

Square roots are always positive.

If the problem said \(n^2 > 36\), then n could be > or < 6.
VP
VP
User avatar
Status: Far, far away!
Joined: 02 Sep 2012
Posts: 1073
Location: Italy
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Is n > 6?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2013, 22:34
MissionIIM2014 wrote:
Is n>6?

1) square root(n)>2.5
2) n>(square root 37)

===============

Typical DS options applicable:

----
answers please.

1.\(\sqrt{n}>2,5\) becomes \(n>(2,5)^2\), 2,5^2 (because 25*25=625) is 6,25 so n>6,25. Sufficient

2.\(n>\sqrt{37}\) because \(\sqrt{36}=6,\sqrt{37}>6\), we combine this equations in one: \(n>\sqrt{37}>6\) so n>6. Sufficient
IMO D
_________________

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 12 Mar 2013
Posts: 2
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
GPA: 2.76
Re: Is n > 6?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2013, 22:16
Hi,
Thanks for the response, but got one question.
How can you be sure that (square root 37) is only 6...why did not you consider (-6)..
when (square root 37) is considered as (-6) n>6 may not be possible...
so B option is not giving an answer with certainty..what do you say?

regards

Zarrolou wrote:
MissionIIM2014 wrote:
Is n>6?

1) square root(n)>2.5
2) n>(square root 37)

===============

Typical DS options applicable:

----
answers please.

1.\(\sqrt{n}>2,5\) becomes \(n>(2,5)^2\), 2,5^2 (because 25*25=625) is 6,25 so n>6,25. Sufficient

2.\(n>\sqrt{37}\) because \(\sqrt{36}=6,\sqrt{37}>6\), we combine this equations in one: \(n>\sqrt{37}>6\) so n>6. Sufficient
IMO D
VP
VP
User avatar
Status: Far, far away!
Joined: 02 Sep 2012
Posts: 1073
Location: Italy
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Is n > 6?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2013, 22:45
1
MissionIIM2014 wrote:
Hi,
Thanks for the response, but got one question.
How can you be sure that (square root 37) is only 6...why did not you consider (-6)..
when (square root 37) is considered as (-6) n>6 may not be possible...
so B option is not giving an answer with certainty..what do you say?

regards


In the GMAT \(\sqrt{25}=5\) and \(\sqrt{36}=6\), the square root of a number is its positive value.
_________________

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Dec 2011
Posts: 66
Schools: Smith '16 (I)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Is n > 6?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2013, 09:55
Zarrolou wrote:
MissionIIM2014 wrote:
Hi,
Thanks for the response, but got one question.
How can you be sure that (square root 37) is only 6...why did not you consider (-6)..
when (square root 37) is considered as (-6) n>6 may not be possible...
so B option is not giving an answer with certainty..what do you say?

regards


In the GMAT \(\sqrt{25}=5\) and \(\sqrt{36}=6\), the square root of a number is its positive value.


Hi, even though it may seems like basic and stupid, but I just want to ask it for clearing my brain.
If in GMAT square root is always positive that why cant I take any given number, for eg in the 2nd statement in above equation and say since \(n>\sqrt{37}\) than \(n^2 >37\) and if I again do a Square root n>6 since I can ignore the -tive -6. since even square-root cannot have a negative value.
Can I do that? if no, can someone explain me why, and what stops me to do that? can anyone explain me with illustration or an eg?
_________________

Life is very similar to a boxing ring.
Defeat is not final when you fall down…
It is final when you refuse to get up and fight back!

1 Kudos = 1 thanks
Nikhil

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 21 Jan 2010
Posts: 272
Re: Is n > 6?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2013, 11:08
nikhil007 wrote:
Zarrolou wrote:
MissionIIM2014 wrote:
Hi,
Thanks for the response, but got one question.
How can you be sure that (square root 37) is only 6...why did not you consider (-6)..
when (square root 37) is considered as (-6) n>6 may not be possible...
so B option is not giving an answer with certainty..what do you say?

regards


In the GMAT \(\sqrt{25}=5\) and \(\sqrt{36}=6\), the square root of a number is its positive value.


Hi, even though it may seems like basic and stupid, but I just want to ask it for clearing my brain.
If in GMAT square root is always positive that why cant I take any given number, for eg in the 2nd statement in above equation and say since \(n>\sqrt{37}\) than \(n^2 >37\) and if I again do a Square root n>6 since I can ignore the -tive -6. since even square-root cannot have a negative value.
Can I do that? if no, can someone explain me why, and what stops me to do that? can anyone explain me with illustration or an eg?


Something like n^2 = 36 is different from n= square root 36. In the first case, n can have both positive and negative value because both value satisfy the equation. In the 2nd case, you are explicitly saying that n is positive square root of 36 which is +6. If you try to take the square root of a negative number than that square root takes you to the concept of imaginary numbers. GMAT is not concerned with it and hence you will never see something like n^2 = -36.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Dec 2011
Posts: 66
Schools: Smith '16 (I)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Is n > 6?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2013, 13:19
[/quote]
Bluelagoon wrote:
you are explicitly saying that n is positive square root of 36 which is +6. If you try to take the square root of a negative number than that square root takes you to the concept of imaginary numbers. GMAT is not concerned with it and hence you will never see something like n^2 = -36.


Yes I am explicitly saying that because for \(\sqrt{36}\) as per Gmat -6 shouldn't be an option other wise if your are given statement like x= \(\sqrt{36}\) you will have to consider 2 roots +-6, whereas we say that even square root will only have positive number as a answer in Gmat, coz -6 is imaginary
_________________

Life is very similar to a boxing ring.
Defeat is not final when you fall down…
It is final when you refuse to get up and fight back!

1 Kudos = 1 thanks
Nikhil

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Aug 2006
Posts: 91
Location: United States
WE: Consulting (Telecommunications)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Is n > 6?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2013, 18:56
nikhil007 wrote:
Bluelagoon wrote:
you are explicitly saying that n is positive square root of 36 which is +6. If you try to take the square root of a negative number than that square root takes you to the concept of imaginary numbers. GMAT is not concerned with it and hence you will never see something like n^2 = -36.


Yes I am explicitly saying that because for \(\sqrt{36}\) as per Gmat -6 shouldn't be an option other wise if your are given statement like x= \(\sqrt{36}\) you will have to consider 2 roots +-6, whereas we say that even square root will only have positive number as a answer in Gmat, coz -6 is imaginary



- 6 is NOT imaginary, SQUARE ROOT (or any even root) of a negative integer is imaginary (imaginary numbers are out of scope for GMAT).

Guys, could you please point me to the instructions where we are asked to consider only positive roots for numbers?
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 50615
Re: Is n > 6?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2013, 01:47
anilisanil wrote:
nikhil007 wrote:
Bluelagoon wrote:
you are explicitly saying that n is positive square root of 36 which is +6. If you try to take the square root of a negative number than that square root takes you to the concept of imaginary numbers. GMAT is not concerned with it and hence you will never see something like n^2 = -36.


Yes I am explicitly saying that because for \(\sqrt{36}\) as per Gmat -6 shouldn't be an option other wise if your are given statement like x= \(\sqrt{36}\) you will have to consider 2 roots +-6, whereas we say that even square root will only have positive number as a answer in Gmat, coz -6 is imaginary



- 6 is NOT imaginary, SQUARE ROOT (or any even root) of a negative integer is imaginary (imaginary numbers are out of scope for GMAT).

Guys, could you please point me to the instructions where we are asked to consider only positive roots for numbers?


Any nonnegative real number has a unique non-negative square root called the principal square root and unless otherwise specified, the square root is generally taken to mean the principal square root.

When the GMAT provides the square root sign for an even root, such as \(\sqrt{x}\) or \(\sqrt[4]{x}\), then the only accepted answer is the positive root.

That is, \(\sqrt{25}=5\), NOT +5 or -5. In contrast, the equation \(x^2=25\) has TWO solutions, \(\sqrt{25}=+5\) and \(-\sqrt{25}=-5\). Even roots have only non-negative value on the GMAT.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 15 Aug 2013
Posts: 251
Re: Is n > 6?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2014, 16:19
Bunuel wrote:
Is n > 6?

(1) \(\sqrt{n} > 25\) --> \(n>25^2\). Sufficient.

(2) \(n > \sqrt{37}\). Since \(\sqrt{37}> \sqrt{36}\), then \(n > \sqrt{37}>\sqrt{36}\) --> \(n>6\). Sufficient.

Answer: D.


Hi Bunuel,

My question showed stated one as "2.5" not "25'.

I didn't what the (2.5) ^2 was so I did 2^2 = 4 and (1/2)^2 = 1/4, therefore, less than 5.

How are we supposed to square something like 2.5?
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 50615
Re: Is n > 6?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2014, 05:08
russ9 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Is n > 6?

(1) \(\sqrt{n} > 25\) --> \(n>25^2\). Sufficient.

(2) \(n > \sqrt{37}\). Since \(\sqrt{37}> \sqrt{36}\), then \(n > \sqrt{37}>\sqrt{36}\) --> \(n>6\). Sufficient.

Answer: D.


Hi Bunuel,

My question showed stated one as "2.5" not "25'.

I didn't what the (2.5) ^2 was so I did 2^2 = 4 and (1/2)^2 = 1/4, therefore, less than 5.

How are we supposed to square something like 2.5?


2.5^2 = (5/2)^2 = 25/4. Or just square 25 and move decimal point two places to the left: 25^2 = 625, thus 2.5^2 = 6.25.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 21 Jul 2015
Posts: 16
Is n > 6? (Please help me understand why the answer is that.)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2015, 08:58
Is n > 6?

(1) \(\sqrt{n} > 2.5\)
(2) \(n> \sqrt{37}\)


Could someone please explain why the answer is
D?

My thought is this:
In statement (2), \(\sqrt{36}\) can be either 6 or -6. Because -6 is possible, statement (2) shouldn't be sufficient to answer the question.
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 50615
Re: Is n > 6?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2015, 09:04
stelle wrote:
Is n > 6?

(1) \(\sqrt{n} > 2.5\)
(2) \(n> \sqrt{37}\)


Could someone please explain why the answer is
D?

My thought is this:
In statement (2), \(\sqrt{36}\) can be either 6 or -6. Because -6 is possible, statement (2) shouldn't be sufficient to answer the question.


Merging topics.

Please refer to the discussion above.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

CEO
CEO
User avatar
D
Joined: 11 Sep 2015
Posts: 3120
Location: Canada
Re: Is n > 6?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2017, 06:58
Top Contributor
gmatprep2011 wrote:
Is n > 6?

(1) \(\sqrt{n} > 2.5\)
(2) \(n > \sqrt{37}\)


Target question: Is n > 6?

Statement 1: √n > 2.5
Square both sides to get: n > (2.5)²
Evaluate to get: n > 6.25
If n > 6.25, then we can be CERTAIN that n > 6
Since we can answer the target question with certainty, statement 1 is SUFFICIENT

Statement 2: n > √37
First recognize that √36 < √37
In other words, 6 < √37
Statement 2 tells us that √37 < n
So, we can COMBINE the inequalities to get 6 < √37 < n
From this, we can conclude that n > 6
Since we can answer the target question with certainty, statement 2 is SUFFICIENT

Answer:

RELATED VIDEO

_________________

Brent Hanneson – GMATPrepNow.com
Image

Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 09 Sep 2013
Posts: 8779
Premium Member
Re: Is n > 6?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2018, 10:41
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
_________________

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Is n > 6? &nbs [#permalink] 23 Oct 2018, 10:41
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Is n > 6?

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.