GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Oct 2018, 03:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Is quadrilateral ABCD a rectangle?

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 Nov 2009
Posts: 219
Is quadrilateral ABCD a rectangle?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2010, 07:42
1
5
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  25% (medium)

Question Stats:

67% (00:49) correct 33% (00:59) wrong based on 335 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Is quadrilateral ABCD a rectangle?

(1) Angle ABC = 90 degrees
(2) AB = CD
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 06 Jun 2009
Posts: 290
Location: USA
WE 1: Engineering
Re: Rectangles  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2010, 07:59
agnok wrote:
Is quadrilateral ABCD a rectangle?

1. angle ABC = 90 degrees
2. AB=CD

Please explain your solution.


E

1. ABC = 90 ................ other angles can be of any value.

2. AB = CD ............... AC and BD might not be equal.

For rectangle, all angles have to be equal (hence, 90) and opposite sides should be equal. Neither of the two statement helps in determining if the two requirements are satisfied or not.
_________________

All things are possible to those who believe.

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 20 Jul 2010
Posts: 216
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Rectangles  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2010, 08:08
E

for rectangle = all have to be 90 and opp sides equal
1. ABC= 90 : dont know about other angles - insuff
2. AB= CD , other sides may or may not be equal - insuff

together - not necessarily a rectangle, may be a square - insuff
Ans is E
_________________

If you like my post, consider giving me some KUDOS !!!!! Like you I need them

Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 50004
Re: Rectangles  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2010, 09:02
1
2
agnok wrote:
Is quadrilateral ABCD a rectangle?

1. angle ABC = 90 degrees
2. AB=CD

Please explain your solution.


A rectangle is a quadrilateral with four right angles - this is necessary and sufficient condition for quadrilateral to be a rectangle.

(1) angle ABC = 90 degrees --> we know nothing about other angles. Not sufficient.
(2) AB=CD --> opposite sides AB and CD are equal, clearly insufficient.

(1)+(2) Look at the diagram:
Attachment:
rectangle.PNG
rectangle.PNG [ 4.39 KiB | Viewed 7063 times ]
It's possible quadrilateral to be a rectangle (case ABCD1) and it's also possible quadrilateral not to be a rectangle (case ABCD2). Not sufficient.

saxenashobhit wrote:
E

for rectangle = all have to be 90 and opp sides equal
1. ABC= 90 : dont know about other angles - insuff
2. AB= CD , other sides may or may not be equal - insuff

together - not necessarily a rectangle, may be a square - insuff
Ans is E

metallicafan wrote:
E

It may be a square.


It's not necessary ABCD to be square (look at the diagram, it can be simple rectangle). In fact if we knew that ABCD is a square then statements would be sufficient, because square is a special type of rectangle, which means that every square is a rectangle (but not vise-versa).

Hope it helps.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 Nov 2009
Posts: 219
Re: Rectangles  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2010, 12:07
The diagram made the difference in understanding the answer.. thanks
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 20 Jul 2010
Posts: 216
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Rectangles  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2010, 09:59
Thanks Bunuel for the diagram
_________________

If you like my post, consider giving me some KUDOS !!!!! Like you I need them

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 10 Mar 2014
Posts: 199
Premium Member
Re: Rectangles  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2014, 04:02
Bunuel wrote:
agnok wrote:
Is quadrilateral ABCD a rectangle?

1. angle ABC = 90 degrees
2. AB=CD

Please explain your solution.


A rectangle is a quadrilateral with four right angles - this is necessary and sufficient condition for quadrilateral to be a rectangle.

(1) angle ABC = 90 degrees --> we know nothing about other angles. Not sufficient.
(2) AB=CD --> opposite sides AB and CD are equal, clearly insufficient.

(1)+(2) Look at the diagram:
Attachment:
rectangle.PNG
It's possible quadrilateral to be a rectangle (case ABCD1) and it's also possible quadrilateral not to be a rectangle (case ABCD2). Not sufficient.

saxenashobhit wrote:
E

for rectangle = all have to be 90 and opp sides equal
1. ABC= 90 : dont know about other angles - insuff
2. AB= CD , other sides may or may not be equal - insuff

together - not necessarily a rectangle, may be a square - insuff
Ans is E

metallicafan wrote:
E

It may be a square.


It's not necessary ABCD to be square (look at the diagram, it can be simple rectangle). In fact if we knew that ABCD is a square then statements would be sufficient, because square is a special type of rectangle, which means that every square is a rectangle (but not vise-versa).

Hope it helps.


HI Bunnel,

One doubt. Here it is mentioned that angle ABC are 90 degrees. and quadrilateral have total of 360 degree. so fourth one should be 90 degree.

then why you have mentioned following statement.

angle ABC = 90 degrees --> we know nothing about other angles. Not sufficient

Thanks
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 50004
Re: Rectangles  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2014, 04:32
PathFinder007 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
agnok wrote:
Is quadrilateral ABCD a rectangle?

1. angle ABC = 90 degrees
2. AB=CD

Please explain your solution.


A rectangle is a quadrilateral with four right angles - this is necessary and sufficient condition for quadrilateral to be a rectangle.

(1) angle ABC = 90 degrees --> we know nothing about other angles. Not sufficient.
(2) AB=CD --> opposite sides AB and CD are equal, clearly insufficient.

(1)+(2) Look at the diagram:
Attachment:
rectangle.PNG
It's possible quadrilateral to be a rectangle (case ABCD1) and it's also possible quadrilateral not to be a rectangle (case ABCD2). Not sufficient.

saxenashobhit wrote:
E

for rectangle = all have to be 90 and opp sides equal
1. ABC= 90 : dont know about other angles - insuff
2. AB= CD , other sides may or may not be equal - insuff

together - not necessarily a rectangle, may be a square - insuff
Ans is E

metallicafan wrote:
E

It may be a square.


It's not necessary ABCD to be square (look at the diagram, it can be simple rectangle). In fact if we knew that ABCD is a square then statements would be sufficient, because square is a special type of rectangle, which means that every square is a rectangle (but not vise-versa).

Hope it helps.


HI Bunnel,

One doubt. Here it is mentioned that angle ABC are 90 degrees. and quadrilateral have total of 360 degree. so fourth one should be 90 degree.

then why you have mentioned following statement.

angle ABC = 90 degrees --> we know nothing about other angles. Not sufficient

Thanks


Yes, the Sum of Interior Angles of a polygon is \(180(n-2)\) degrees, where \(n\) is the number of sides (so is the number of angles). Thus the sum of the interior angles of a quadrilateral is 180*2=360 degrees.

But knowing that one of the angles of a quadrilateral is 90 degrees does not mean that the other angles must also be 90 degrees. The sum of the remaining three angles must be 360-90=270 degrees. So, the remaining three angles can be 100, 100 and 70 or 100, 110, and 60, ...

Hope it's clear.

Hope it's clear.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 08 Jan 2014
Posts: 19
Location: United States
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT Date: 06-30-2014
GPA: 3.99
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
Re: Is quadrilateral ABCD a rectangle?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2014, 12:00
Q1.
statement1>parallelogram
statement2>rectangle only if statement1 is true
answer:"C"
Q2.
answer:"B"
Q3
statement1>rectangle meaning all angles are 90
statement2> rhombus...
together it becomes a square..answer:"C"
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 50004
Re: Is quadrilateral ABCD a rectangle?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2014, 06:04
ravishankar1788 wrote:
Q1.
statement1>parallelogram
statement2>rectangle only if statement1 is true
answer:"C"
Q2.
answer:"B"
Q3
statement1>rectangle meaning all angles are 90
statement2> rhombus...
together it becomes a square..answer:"C"


Please note that the OA is E, not C. Check here: is-quadrilateral-abcd-a-rectangle-100729.html#p778263

Hope it helps.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 09 Sep 2013
Posts: 8465
Premium Member
Re: Is quadrilateral ABCD a rectangle?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2018, 21:09
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
_________________

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Is quadrilateral ABCD a rectangle? &nbs [#permalink] 12 Jan 2018, 21:09
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Is quadrilateral ABCD a rectangle?

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.