GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Oct 2019, 18:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Is quadrilateral ABCD a square?

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Retired Moderator
avatar
Joined: 29 Apr 2015
Posts: 822
Location: Switzerland
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: LBS MIF '19
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User
Is quadrilateral ABCD a square?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2015, 04:05
1
19
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  65% (hard)

Question Stats:

43% (01:11) correct 57% (01:17) wrong based on 344 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Is quadrilateral ABCD a square?

(1) ABCD is a rectangle whose diagonals intersect at right angles.
(2) AC, a diagonal of ABCD, is also the hypotenuse of isosceles right triangles ABC and ADC.

_________________
Saving was yesterday, heat up the gmatclub.forum's sentiment by spending KUDOS!

PS Please send me PM if I do not respond to your question within 24 hours.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Feb 2014
Posts: 4
Re: Is quadrilateral ABCD a square?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2015, 05:41
Answer should be A

I also had the same issue. I went through all the properties of different quadrilaterals.

1. ABCD is a rectangle and if diagnals intersect at 90 degree, square is the only option. Suff.

2. In the second case, it can be either square or a kite as per the given properties Insuff.
Retired Moderator
avatar
Joined: 29 Apr 2015
Posts: 822
Location: Switzerland
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: LBS MIF '19
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Is quadrilateral ABCD a square?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2015, 05:52
Answer is D, the second cannot be a kite
_________________
Saving was yesterday, heat up the gmatclub.forum's sentiment by spending KUDOS!

PS Please send me PM if I do not respond to your question within 24 hours.
CEO
CEO
avatar
S
Joined: 20 Mar 2014
Posts: 2595
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Kellogg '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Is quadrilateral ABCD a square?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 28 Sep 2015, 11:32
1
reto wrote:
Is quadrilateral ABCD a square?

(1) ABCD is a rectangle whose diagonals intersect at right angles.
(2) AC, a diagonal of ABCD, is also the hypotenuse of isosceles right triangles ABC and ADC.

I am always struggling with such questions. Any sources to prepare for those?


reto, look at the attached picture of quadrilateral family in GMAT. It is taken from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhombus

Statement 2, is sufficient to answer as it can only be a square. Kite would have been possible had the statement mentioned that the triangles are isosceles but not necessarily right angled.

Statement 1 eliminates rhombus as it is not a rectangle.

Thus D is the correct answer.
Attachments

Symmetries_of_square.svg.png
Symmetries_of_square.svg.png [ 30.7 KiB | Viewed 3482 times ]


Originally posted by ENGRTOMBA2018 on 28 Sep 2015, 06:04.
Last edited by ENGRTOMBA2018 on 28 Sep 2015, 11:32, edited 1 time in total.
Updated the picture
CEO
CEO
avatar
S
Joined: 20 Mar 2014
Posts: 2595
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Kellogg '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Is quadrilateral ABCD a square?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2015, 06:07
apoorva2890 wrote:
Answer should be A

I also had the same issue. I went through all the properties of different quadrilaterals.

1. ABCD is a rectangle and if diagnals intersect at 90 degree, square is the only option. Suff.

2. In the second case, it can be either square or a kite as per the given properties Insuff.


It can not be a kite as the resulting triangle must be RIGHT ANGLED ISOSCELES triangle. Kite does not provide that. Thus, square is the only option.
Retired Moderator
avatar
Joined: 29 Apr 2015
Posts: 822
Location: Switzerland
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: LBS MIF '19
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Is quadrilateral ABCD a square?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2015, 10:59
Engr2012 wrote:
reto wrote:
Is quadrilateral ABCD a square?

(1) ABCD is a rectangle whose diagonals intersect at right angles.
(2) AC, a diagonal of ABCD, is also the hypotenuse of isosceles right triangles ABC and ADC.

I am always struggling with such questions. Any sources to prepare for those?


reto, look at the attached picture of quadrilateral family in GMAT.

Statement 2, is sufficient to answer as it can only be a square. Kite would have been possible had the statement mentioned that the triangles are isosceles but not necessarily right angled.

Statement 1 eliminates rhombus as it is not a rectangle.

Thus D is the correct answer.


Thanks - I also found this overview here: quadrilateral-properties-136155.html#p1106572
_________________
Saving was yesterday, heat up the gmatclub.forum's sentiment by spending KUDOS!

PS Please send me PM if I do not respond to your question within 24 hours.
CEO
CEO
avatar
S
Joined: 20 Mar 2014
Posts: 2595
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Kellogg '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Is quadrilateral ABCD a square?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2015, 11:07
1
reto wrote:
Engr2012 wrote:
reto wrote:
Is quadrilateral ABCD a square?

(1) ABCD is a rectangle whose diagonals intersect at right angles.
(2) AC, a diagonal of ABCD, is also the hypotenuse of isosceles right triangles ABC and ADC.

I am always struggling with such questions. Any sources to prepare for those?


reto, look at the attached picture of quadrilateral family in GMAT.

Statement 2, is sufficient to answer as it can only be a square. Kite would have been possible had the statement mentioned that the triangles are isosceles but not necessarily right angled.

Statement 1 eliminates rhombus as it is not a rectangle.

Thus D is the correct answer.


Thanks - I also found this overview here: quadrilateral-properties-136155.html#p1106572


Instead of just rote memorizing these properties make sure to draw them out so that you remember how to apply these properties as well.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 24 Oct 2014
Posts: 13
Location: Spain
Schools: LBS '21 (II)
Re: Is quadrilateral ABCD a square?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2018, 12:01
I don't understand why (1) is Suff.

Don't the diagonals of rhombus intersect at 90º?
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 58396
Re: Is quadrilateral ABCD a square?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2018, 20:50
Fernandocma wrote:
I don't understand why (1) is Suff.

Don't the diagonals of rhombus intersect at 90º?


(1) says that ABCD is a rectangle. Rectangular rhombus is a square.

Check Properties of Polygons Questions for similar problems.

23. Geometry




24. Coordinate Geometry




25. Triangles




26. Polygons




27. Circles




28. Rectangular Solids and Cylinders




29. Graphs and Illustrations




For other subjects:
ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT ! ! !
Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread

Hope it helps.
_________________
Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 09 Sep 2013
Posts: 13382
Re: Is quadrilateral ABCD a square?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2019, 10:16
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
_________________
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Is quadrilateral ABCD a square?   [#permalink] 10 Jan 2019, 10:16
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Is quadrilateral ABCD a square?

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





cron

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne