Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 15:40 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 15:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Practice! 3-4 months for that jump (I am in the same boat, 590! But I am making progress).

Don't just find your weaknesses, capitalize on your strengths: Q or V Get your BEST scores in your best subject... don't neglect practicing your strength areas.

Hard work, dedication, practice everyday. It isn't easy!

All the best.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks a lot guys for your valuable comments. i do understand that i need to work on both areas if i want a 700. I was just indicating that i feel more confident in improving my skills in verbal than in quant.

Based on your feedback, i would rather not re-takre the real test before 2-3 months. It does not sound like i can hit a 700 in one month. But that would mean that i won't make it to the MBA class starting in 2007:( i never imagined that GMAT preparation would take at least half a year. I under-estimated the time of prepartion from the very beginning.

By the way kidderek, i got three probability/permutations questions in my GMAT test, and i am sure i got them all wrong. Frankly, i was surprised how i got three of them while i am still in the late 500 level. I believe it is a myth that you only see this kind of questions in the 700 level. Can you please elaborte more on the Nova GMAT Review book?

Many thanks

Wessam
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Do you know what schools you are applying to and what round you are applying for? If you are looking at 700+, then I will assume you are looking at the top 10~20 schools. if that is the case, i suggest you postpone the application for 1 year. This give you more time for both GMAT and your applications.

I am in a similar boat as you and decided to postpone mine for 1 year. This way I have more time for the application and also research what school I really want.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hello Grooby,
I am glad i found someone who is facing a similar dilemma. My targeted two US programs are Wharton and Chicago. I hate to think that i have to postpone application to next year. I am already 29 and i really wish i can make it to the 2007 class.

I dont know if it is a good alternative to apply in the third round at these schools to give myself more time to improve GMAT score. I know that chances of acceptance in the third round are slim; but what do you think is better: applying in third round despite slim chances of acceptance or postponing application altogether to next year?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
wessam,

If you are insistent on going next fall, you can go ahead and take the test, maybe you'll get lucky and hit the 700 mark. But if you don't, I would recommend allotting 2-3 months of intensive study before taking it again. As for the Nova book, it's a good tool if you have the time. Think of it as a more fleshed out version of Princeton Review. But if you plan on taking the exam soon, skip it and go for the MGMAT books. They are the best, especially for quant.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
wessam20 wrote:
Hello Grooby,
I am glad i found someone who is facing a similar dilemma. My targeted two US programs are Wharton and Chicago. I hate to think that i have to postpone application to next year. I am already 29 and i really wish i can make it to the 2007 class.

I dont know if it is a good alternative to apply in the third round at these schools to give myself more time to improve GMAT score. I know that chances of acceptance in the third round are slim; but what do you think is better: applying in third round despite slim chances of acceptance or postponing application altogether to next year?

You should NOT apply R3. Look at most schools and you will find specific statements that STRONGLY ENCOURAGE international applicants to NOT apply in R3. The reason is VISAs - the school needs time to get you an F1. It's also generally harder to get in on R3s.

Also, definetly consider ManhattanGMAT for verbal as well.

I underestimated the GMAT too, but for the sake of comparison - it took me about three months to go from 640 to 730. One month, I'm sorry to say, won't be long enough. Better to prepare well than to prepare poorly. Take your time, get it right, get your score, then worry about applications for next year.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi Wessam,

Heres another person whose in the same boat as you are. I scored 550 in May 06 studying from OG 10 and Princeton review.

I started off again in late August and still am preparing- slowly n steadily.
This forum is great. I have improved on many points. my recent scores are 680 and 650 in PR tests but still know that im not prepared yet. As for the apps,...well if u wanna go to your dream school, one year delay is not a big thing I suppose.

Best of luck with your prep. Keep visiting this forum....there are gurus here who can actually help you in n out with ur concepts.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks a lot Usman7 and rhyme for your encouraging comments. You guys made me feel that i am not deserted in this GMAT marathon ... I will definitely consider Manhattan GMAT for both the quant and verbal, although the reviews on Amazon are not very encouraging especially on the quant books.

Best of luck for you all
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi Wessam20,
I am also 29 years old myself and I don't think postponing it 1 year will impact you that much. Many people also said that you have really 1 good chance to get into the school you want. The school really scrutinize you when you reapply the second time. Another thing is applications. I do not know if you have started your application process but it is, in some ways, worst than studying for GMAT. My last GMAT was 640 and my main weakness is verbal. i am giving myself about 3 months to work on my weaknesses and am planing to retake the exam next February. I am using the Manhattan SC and CR books and finding them very helpful (at least for my SC).
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Ohh Grooby , really you are 29 too? I used to think of myself as an MBA oldie :) Your words are assuring. Thanks a lot. Regarding the application process, i had started writing a couple of essays and contacted one of my referees but then lost momentum when i got the disappointing 570 in the GMAT.

I really wish you the best of luck in your GMAT preparation. By the way, how many schools do you plan to apply for? WHat have you read or heard about the optimal number of schools in your shortlist?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
I am looking at around 5 to 6 schools at this point. As for the optimal number, I do not know what that number is.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts