It is currently 20 Sep 2017, 04:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Is there always a need to identify the assumption, and then

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 285 [0], given: 5

Is there always a need to identify the assumption, and then [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2008, 07:53
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Is there always a need to identify the assumption, and then strengthening it?

Or do we just focus on the conclusion and find something that directly strengthens the conclusion.

From MGMAT:
1. Fix a potential weakness of the conclusion OR
2. introduce additional supporting evidence.

For example, when doing weakening questions, it's critical to find the assumption and attack it.

I'm wondering if the same applies to strengthening questions, but we support it instead of attack it.

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 10 [1], given: 0

Re: What's the best strategy for strengthening CR questions? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2008, 10:37
This post received
KUDOS
Q1: No, I don't think you will always be able to find an assumption in an argument. There are too many possibilities. For example, I can say that I will get a burger from Inn-n-out today. There are many assumptions one can make (i.e. I have transportation to get there, Inn-n-out will still sell have burgers, I won't get hit by an asteroid, etc...).

Q2: Yes, for strengthen questions you would do the opposite and find information to support the argument.

Here is the approach I would take for strengthen/weaken questions:

ID conclusion and its supporting evidence
(1) ID the author's assumptions (if any). If present, prephrase something to prevent you from choosing a wrong answer choice.
AND/OR
(2) Add additional information to make the argument stronger/weaker.

Also, for strengthen/weaken questions the stronger claim is usually correct. You do not need to totally destroy an argument but merely strengthen/weaken it by 0.0000001%.

Consider the claim from Bobby, "eating lots of Halloween candy can cause cavities".

(a) Some people who eat lots of Halloween candy do not develop cavities. (this statement is still consistent with the claim that eating lots of candy can cause cavities) Eliminate - this claim does nothing to the argument.

(b) All people who eat lots of Halloween candy will eventually develop cavities. (This statement is right because it doesn't leave any gaping holes in the argument. When one eats candy, they will develop cavities)

HTH

Kudos [?]: 10 [1], given: 0

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 688 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2008, 10:47
somerandomguy wrote:
Q1: No, I don't think you will always be able to find an assumption in an argument. There are too many possibilities. For example, I can say that I will get a burger from Inn-n-out today. There are many assumptions one can make (i.e. I have transportation to get there, Inn-n-out will still sell have burgers, I won't get hit by an asteroid, etc...).

Q2: Yes, for strengthen questions you would do the opposite and find information to support the argument.

Here is the approach I would take for strengthen/weaken questions:

ID conclusion and its supporting evidence
(1) ID the author's assumptions (if any). If present, prephrase something to prevent you from choosing a wrong answer choice.
AND/OR
(2) Add additional information to make the argument stronger/weaker.

Also, for strengthen/weaken questions the stronger claim is usually correct. You do not need to totally destroy an argument but merely strengthen/weaken it by 0.0000001%.

Consider the claim from Bobby, "eating lots of Halloween candy can cause cavities".

(a) Some people who eat lots of Halloween candy do not develop cavities. (this statement is still consistent with the claim that eating lots of candy can cause cavities) Eliminate - this claim does nothing to the argument.

(b) All people who eat lots of Halloween candy will eventually develop cavities. (This statement is right because it doesn't leave any gaping holes in the argument. When one eats candy, they will develop cavities)

HTH

Thanks :) :P some random guy comes out of nowhere and helps :lol:

+1 for you

"You have to find it. No one else can find it for you." - Bjorn Borg

Kudos [?]: 688 [0], given: 1

Retired Moderator

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2008, 10:59
That's a good post. I think that's where I've been beating myself up too much.

When I read the premise, i ALWAYS try to find the assumption, and I think this gets me in trouble because I over assume.

Do you guys read the question before jumping into the passage?

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2008, 11:05
bigfernhead wrote:
That's a good post. I think that's where I've been beating myself up too much.

When I read the premise, i ALWAYS try to find the assumption, and I think this gets me in trouble because I over assume.

Do you guys read the question before jumping into the passage?

It's relative. For myself, I've been instructed to read the question first. However, others think that reading the stimulus first allows them to be more critical of the information. To each, his own! :)

Edited: For randomness....

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

CEO
CEO

Kudos [?]: 903 [0], given: 781

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2008, 15:56
I thought you may find some useful tips in these threads.

Useful Tips for CR
> http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=14833

If X then Y, help for CR
> http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=14547

CR- Bank Executives
> http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=13782

Logical Fallacies - help on CR and AWA
> http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=40345

Kudos [?]: 903 [0], given: 781

Retired Moderator

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2008, 08:40
Awesome! Thanks!

Re: What's the best strategy for strengthening CR questions?   [#permalink] 03 Nov 2008, 08:40