GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Jul 2018, 06:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Is |x^2 + y^2| > |x^2 - y^2|?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User
Is |x^2 + y^2| > |x^2 - y^2|? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 05 Jun 2013, 00:12
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

42% (01:19) correct 58% (01:07) wrong based on 321 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

(1) x > y
(2) x > 0

Originally posted by makhija1 on 04 Jun 2013, 20:45.
Last edited by Bunuel on 05 Jun 2013, 00:12, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic and added the OA.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Answer without doing any algebra [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2013, 20:49
IMO, the answer should be E.

1) For (2,1), the answer to target ques is Yes; but for (1,0), the answer is No. Thus the statement is insuff.

2) The same values from above can be used to get two contradicting answers as there is no indication of what y should be. So this statement is also insuff.

Any thoughts? :)

FYI, I got this question from an article posted in Beat the GMAT forum; it didn't say the what the OA was... Sorry!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2013, 21:41
I am also going with E. When Y = 0, it's never true.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2013, 22:01
Yahtzeefish wrote:
I am also going with E. When Y = 0, it's never true.

I like this succinct answer from Yahtzeefish! The question is baiting you into thinking about negatives, but answer will never be negative because all the terms are squared. Since the terms are squared, they must necessarily be positive (or zero). The absolute values thus change nothing to the equation and can be ignored. However, all values of Y, positive or negative, will end up being positive under the square, and therefore smaller in the second half of the equation than in the first. The number that will mess everything up is zero. Had statement 2 indicated that y>0, we'd have a different answer, but since the statements only care about the value of x and offer no real limitations on the value of y, the answer will be that both statements combined are still not sufficient (answer E)

Hope this helps!
-Ron

Ron Awad
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting Services
Veritas Prep Reviews

3 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Premium Member
Re: Is |x^2 + y^2| > |x^2 - y^2|? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 06 Jun 2013, 02:42
WholeLottaLove wrote:
Could someone post a step by step explanation? This is an interesting problem but I am having some trouble figuring it out!

Thanks!

|x| is always a non-negative entity. Thus, the given expression can be safely squared on both sides --> Is \((x^2+y^2)^2>(x^2-y^2)^2\)

or \((x^2+y^2 + x^2-y^2)[x^2+y^2 -( x^2-y^2)] >0 --> IS 2x^2*2y^2>0.\) Thus, we have to answer the questions : Is \(4x^2y^2>0\). Now we know that this expression WILL always be greater than zero, irrespective of any non-zero real values of x and y. However, if x=0 OR y=0 OR both x = y = 0, then we wouldn't be able to say that the given expression is greater than 0. The two fact statements, provide some idea about both x and y, both they don't guide us to the conclusion as to whether both x and y are non-zero values or not. Hence, we can't conclude even after using the 2 fact statements.

For the same problem,imagine 2 fact statements like this :

1. x>0
2. xy<0.

From F.S 1, all we know is that x is a non-zero(positive) number. However, y could still be zero.
From F.S 2, we know that both x AND y are non-zero numbers, thus, Sufficient.

You could also visualize the given problem as this:

\(x^2\) and \(y^2\) are both positive quantities(assuming x and y are non-zero numbers). Thus, ADDING two positive numbers will always be greater than the DIFFERENCE of the same two positive numbers. Thus, what the given expression asks, is invariably ALWAYS true, except for the one case where x=0 OR y=0 OR x = y = 0.

All that is equal and not-Deep Dive In-equality

Hit and Trial for Integral Solutions

Originally posted by mau5 on 06 Jun 2013, 00:25.
Last edited by mau5 on 06 Jun 2013, 02:42, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2013, 01:33
WholeLottaLove wrote:
Could someone post a step by step explanation? This is an interesting problem but I am having some trouble figuring it out!

Thanks!

The easiest way to solve this is by picking numbers

Is \(|x^2 + y^2| > |x^2 - y^2|\)?

The left term will always be \(\geq{0}\) because is the sum of two \(\geq{0}\) numbers, so we can safely rewrite it as:

\(x^2 + y^2 > |x^2 - y^2|\), here x^2, and y^2 can be seen as \(number\geq{0}\), so is
\((num_1\geq{0})+(num_2\geq{0})>|(num_1\geq{0})-(num_2\geq{0})|\)

Even though this seems to be true, it does not hold true if \(y=0\), \(num_2=0\) for example
So in this case we have \(x^2=|x^2|\), and since both statement do not exclude this possibility

(1) x > y
(2) x > 0

the correct answer is E

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Intern
Intern
WE: Project Management (Real Estate)

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2013, 02:14
Ans is E

This is how I solved...

\(|x^2 + y^2|\)> \(|x^2 - y^2|\) given
simply
say squaring on both sides and solving gives us
Is XY > 0 ? i.e do X and Y have same signs

Stmt 1 Not Sufficient As X > Y Does not provide sufficient the information on the signs, they may be of the may sign or may be not.

Stmt 2 Not sufficient As X > 0 , Y can be + ve or -ve

Combined Stmt 1 & 2 , still Y can be + ve or -ve.

Therefore Ans E.

Correct me If I'm wrong !! looking for valuable inputs

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2013, 02:41
Manhnip wrote:

(1) x > y
(2) x > 0

Ans is E

This is how I solved...

simply

Stmt 1 Not Sufficient As X > Y Does not provide sufficient the information on the signs, they may be of the may sign or may be not.

Therefore Ans E.

That's not correct. If you square, the questions becomes: is \(x^2y^2>0\)? Now, this holds true if \(xy\neq{0}\). But even when we consider the statements together we cannot say whether y=0 or not. Therefore the answer is E.

Similar questions to practice:
is-x-y-x-y-123108.html
if-a-y-z-b-is-y-a-y-b-82673.html
is-x-y-146991.html
is-x-y-x-y-1-x-y-2-x-y-132654.html
is-x-y-x-y-137050.html
is-x-y-x-z-1-y-z-2-x-86132.html

Hope it helps.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Intern
Intern
WE: Project Management (Real Estate)

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2013, 02:48
Thanks Bunuel for correcting me, I learned the trick of squaring of mods from one of your posts

I took Square root of the \(x^2y^2>0\)

Can't we take square root ??? please explain if we cannot.

Correct me If I'm wrong !! looking for valuable inputs

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2013, 02:50
Manhnip wrote:
Thanks Bunuel for correcting me, I learned the trick of squaring of mods from one of your posts

I took Square root of the \(x^2y^2>0\)

Can't we take square root ??? please explain if we cannot.

We can, but \(\sqrt{x^2}=|x|\), not x. So, \(\sqrt{x^2y^2}=|xy|\): is \(x^2y^2>0\)? --> is \(|xy|>0\)?

Hope it's clear.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2013, 15:11
I thought we can only square both inequalities only if we know that both sides are positive (for example, what if x^2 - y^2 =2^2 - 5^2 = -19)?

Thanks!

Bunuel wrote:
Manhnip wrote:

(1) x > y
(2) x > 0

Ans is E

This is how I solved...

simply

Therefore Ans E.

That's not correct. If you square, the questions becomes: is \(x^2y^2>0\)? Now, this holds true if \(xy\neq{0}\). But even when we consider the statements together we cannot say whether y=0 or not. Therefore the answer is E.

is-x-y-x-y-123108.html
is-x-y-146991.html
is-x-y-x-y-137050.html

Hope it helps.
Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2013, 15:18
WholeLottaLove wrote:
I thought we can only square both inequalities only if we know that both sides are positive (for example, what if x^2 - y^2 =2^2 - 5^2 = -19)?

Thanks!

Bunuel wrote:
Manhnip wrote:

(1) x > y
(2) x > 0

Ans is E

This is how I solved...

simply

Therefore Ans E.

is-x-y-x-y-123108.html
is-x-y-146991.html
is-x-y-x-y-137050.html

Hope it helps.

We can square an inequality if both sides are non-negative.

ADDING/SUBTRACTING INEQUALITIES:

You can only add inequalities when their signs are in the same direction:

If \(a>b\) and \(c>d\) (signs in same direction: \(>\) and \(>\)) --> \(a+c>b+d\).
Example: \(3<4\) and \(2<5\) --> \(3+2<4+5\).

You can only apply subtraction when their signs are in the opposite directions:

If \(a>b\) and \(c<d\) (signs in opposite direction: \(>\) and \(<\)) --> \(a-c>b-d\) (take the sign of the inequality you subtract from).
Example: \(3<4\) and \(5>1\) --> \(3-5<4-1\).

RAISING INEQUALITIES TO EVEN/ODD POWER:

A. We can raise both parts of an inequality to an even power if we know that both parts of an inequality are non-negative (the same for taking an even root of both sides of an inequality).
For example:
\(2<4\) --> we can square both sides and write: \(2^2<4^2\);
\(0\leq{x}<{y}\) --> we can square both sides and write: \(x^2<y^2\);

But if either of side is negative then raising to even power doesn't always work.
For example: \(1>-2\) if we square we'll get \(1>4\) which is not right. So if given that \(x>y\) then we can not square both sides and write \(x^2>y^2\) if we are not certain that both \(x\) and \(y\) are non-negative.

B. We can always raise both parts of an inequality to an odd power (the same for taking an odd root of both sides of an inequality).
For example:
\(-2<-1\) --> we can raise both sides to third power and write: \(-2^3=-8<-1=-1^3\) or \(-5<1\) --> \(-5^2=-125<1=1^3\);
\(x<y\) --> we can raise both sides to third power and write: \(x^3<y^3\).

For multiplication check here: help-with-add-subtract-mult-divid-multiple-inequalities-155290.html#p1242652

THEORY ON INEQUALITIES:

x2-4x-94661.html#p731476
inequalities-trick-91482.html
data-suff-inequalities-109078.html
range-for-variable-x-in-a-given-inequality-109468.html
everything-is-less-than-zero-108884.html
graphic-approach-to-problems-with-inequalities-68037.html
inequations-inequalities-part-154664.html
inequations-inequalities-part-154738.html

QUESTIONS:

All DS Inequalities Problems to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=184
All PS Inequalities Problems to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=189

700+ Inequalities problems: inequality-and-absolute-value-questions-from-my-collection-86939.html

Hope it helps.

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2013, 14:08
Odd man Out.. My answer is A.
The question boils down to is XY>0?
1) x>y => x-y>0 It does mean both are positive and hence XY>0. -- Sufficient

2) X> 0 => we dont know any thing about Y and hence IN Sufficient

please let me know what I am missing here..
Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2013, 14:24
gsgunturu wrote:
Odd man Out.. My answer is A.
The question boils down to is XY>0?
1) x>y => x-y>0 It does mean both are positive and hence XY>0. -- Sufficient

2) X> 0 => we dont know any thing about Y and hence IN Sufficient

please let me know what I am missing here..

Please read the thread.

1. The question boils down to: is x^2y^2>0, not xy>0.
2. x>y does not mean that both are positive. Consider x=1>y=-1 or x=1>y=0 or x=-1>y=-2.

Hope it helps.

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Manager
Manager
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Is |x^2+y^2| > |x^2-y^2|? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2015, 01:53
Bunuel wrote:
Is |x^2+y^2| > |x^2-y^2|?

(1) x > y
(2) x > 0

Kudos for a correct solution.

Solution : |x^2+y^2| > |x^2-y^2| is always true except for x=y=0.

Statement1 : x != y. Sufficient

Statement2 : x != 0. Sufficient

Option D
Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2018, 19:35
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Re: Is |x^2 + y^2| > |x^2 - y^2|?   [#permalink] 21 Mar 2018, 19:35

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap