It is currently 20 Nov 2017, 14:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

It is proposed to introduce mosquitoes into the wild with geneti

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

3 KUDOS received
Senior RC Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 1533 [3], given: 277

GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V34
WE: General Management (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
It is proposed to introduce mosquitoes into the wild with geneti [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2014, 04:08
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

64% (01:59) correct 36% (02:02) wrong based on 329 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

It is proposed to introduce mosquitoes into the wild with genetic alterations that destroy their disease-carrying capacity. In this way, the dangerous wild population could eventually be replaced with a harmless one without leaving room for another disease-transmitting type to flourish. One candidate gene would interfere with the mosquito’s finding mates; another would cause destruction of a disease parasite before the stage at which it could be transmitted; another would disable the mosquito’s own resistance to disease, so that it would die before transmitting the disease.

Which of the following identifies a discrepancy in the proposal above?

A.It is presupposed that the three genes would prove equally easy to isolate and insert into the cells of the mosquitoes.

B.Two of the ways of destroying disease carrying capacity in the wild would jeopardize the goal of the proposal.

C.It does not take into account positive roles that mosquitoes play in the environment, such as serving, in the larval stage, as food for fish.

D. None of the proposed alternatives would ensure that there would be fewer mosquitoes in any given area.

E. Evidence is not presented to show that each alternative method has been successfully tested on a wide scale.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Become a GMAT Club Premium member to avail lot of discounts

Last edited by carcass on 24 Sep 2014, 05:07, edited 1 time in total.
Adding the stem

Kudos [?]: 1533 [3], given: 277

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 51

GMAT 1: 630 Q42 V35
Re: It is proposed to introduce mosquitoes into the wild with geneti [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2014, 04:46
Which ways compromise the proposal and why??

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 51

2 KUDOS received
Board of Directors
G

Kudos [?]: 9289 [2], given: 1169

Re: It is proposed to introduce mosquitoes into the wild with geneti [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2014, 05:12
This post received
KUDOS

Kudos [?]: 9289 [2], given: 1169

2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Status: Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.

Kudos [?]: 1899 [2], given: 229

GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2014, 05:17
This post received
KUDOS
Gnpth wrote:
It is proposed to introduce mosquitoes into the wild with genetic alterations that destroy their disease-carrying capacity. In this way, the dangerous wild population could eventually be replaced with a harmless one without leaving room for another disease-transmitting type to flourish. One candidate gene would interfere with the mosquito’s finding mates; another would cause destruction of a disease parasite before the stage at which it could be transmitted; another would disable the mosquito’s own resistance to disease, so that it would die before transmitting the disease.

Which of the following identifies a discrepancy in the proposal above?

A.It is presupposed that the three genes would prove equally easy to isolate and insert into the cells of the mosquitoes.

B.Two of the ways of destroying disease carrying capacity in the wild would jeopardize the goal of the proposal.

C.It does not take into account positive roles that mosquitoes play in the environment, such as serving, in the larval stage, as food for fish.

D. None of the proposed alternatives would ensure that there would be fewer mosquitoes in any given area.

E. Evidence is not presented to show that each alternative method has been successfully tested on a wide scale.

B it is.

Last 2 genes are conflicting.
another would cause destruction of a disease parasite before the stage at which it could be transmitted; another would disable the mosquito’s own resistance to disease, so that it would die before transmitting the disease.

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Kudos [?]: 1899 [2], given: 229

Senior RC Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 1533 [0], given: 277

GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V34
WE: General Management (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2014, 05:49
carcass wrote:
Please: whenever post a question be really careful.

A CR without the stem is like a car without the steering wheel.

Thank you for your collaboration

Oops. Thanks :) carcass.

I missed that while posting.

Become a GMAT Club Premium member to avail lot of discounts

Kudos [?]: 1533 [0], given: 277

Current Student
Status: Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.

Kudos [?]: 1899 [0], given: 229

GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2014, 06:03
carcass wrote:
A CR without the stem is like a car without the steering wheel.

:lol: , nice analogy; carcass +1.
I was even confused; what to do with this question, and even TAG: "Method of reasoning" was not making sense with answer choices.

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Kudos [?]: 1899 [0], given: 229

Board of Directors
G

Kudos [?]: 9289 [0], given: 1169

It is proposed to introduce mosquitoes into the wild with geneti [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2014, 06:45
Basically, Gmat is an exam (fortunately) with finitive patterns.

Whenever a question has this unfolding: we do this (experiment, survey or else) through this and bla bla bla........at the end of the day the question will ask to weaken or strnghten or a discrepancy ( weaken in such a way).

If you do a lot of practice, then you already know what is going on before to finish the stimulus.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS AND RESOURCES
Quant: 1. ALL GMATPrep questions Quant/Verbal 2. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 3. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 4. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version 5. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Quant Videos
Verbal:1. Verbal question bank and directories by Carcass 2. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Verbal Videos 3. Critical Reasoning_Oldy but goldy question banks 4. Sentence Correction_Oldy but goldy question banks 5. Reading-comprehension_Oldy but goldy question banks

Kudos [?]: 9289 [0], given: 1169

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 550 Q44 V19
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.21
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2015, 12:48
"Two of the ways ..."(not mating & dying) Does this mean the 2nd gene would not jeopardize the goal of the proposal?

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Retired Moderator
S

Kudos [?]: 895 [0], given: 75

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2015, 14:26
tough question indeed. I chose A and realized I was wrong.

The only time you can lose is when you give up. Try hard and you will suceed.
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-in-verbal-gmat-forum-134642.html
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources.

My posts
http://gmatclub.com/forum/beauty-of-coordinate-geometry-213760.html#p1649924
http://gmatclub.com/forum/calling-all-march-april-gmat-takers-who-want-to-cross-213154.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/possessive-pronouns-200496.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/double-negatives-206717.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-greatest-integer-function-223595.html#p1721773
https://gmatclub.com/forum/improve-reading-habit-233410.html#p1802265

Kudos [?]: 895 [0], given: 75

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 79

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2016, 05:06
Hi Experts / chetan2u ,

I am not able to understand this argument. Can you please help.

PiyushK,
Can you please suggest how Last 2 genes are conflicting...?

In-fact I think the last 2 genes are similar, Second gene is causing destruction in disease parasite so that the disease can't be transferred and other is killing the mosquito so that the disease can't be transferred.

Actually, I am not able to comprehend this argument what it is trying to say.

Please assist.
Thanks and Regards,
Prakhar

Thanks and Regards,
Prakhar

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Math Expert
P

Kudos [?]: 5855 [2], given: 117

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2016, 05:55
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
PrakharGMAT wrote:
Hi Experts / chetan2u ,

PiyushK,

In-fact I think the last 2 genes are similar, Second gene is causing destruction in disease parasite so that the disease can't be transferred and other is killing the mosquito so that the disease can't be transferred.

Please assist.
Thanks and Regards,
Prakhar

HI,
I will straight talk of the role of three genes..
1) 1 is unambiguous about the role- it will not allow the population to increase by decreasing the mating between the wild mosquitos.
2) 2 will increase the immunity within the mosquito to fight the parasite so that the parasite spreading disease to humans via mosquito is killed by mosquito before it can spread the disease.
3) 3rd will decrease the resistance power of the mosquitos wherein the mosquitos instead of just spreading it get affected themselves and get killed by the parasite..

so if you look at it, in a way the 2nd gene is increasing the immunity and 3rd is decreasing the immunity of the mosquito. they are working in opposite directions

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

Kudos [?]: 5855 [2], given: 117

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 87 [1], given: 23

Concentration: International Business, Organizational Behavior
GPA: 3.49
WE: Web Development (Insurance)

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2016, 05:57
This post received
KUDOS
PrakharGMAT wrote:
Hi Experts / chetan2u ,

PiyushK,

Please assist.
Thanks and Regards,
Prakhar

Hi Prakhar,

the question is basically this : creating a breed of mosquito with the following characteristics :

1) One candidate gene would interfere with the mosquito’s finding mates
2) Another would cause destruction of a disease parasite before the stage at which it could be transmitted
3) another would disable the mosquito’s own resistance to disease, so that it would die before transmitting the disease.

So the assumption is that that particular breed of mosquito will breed with mosquitoes in the wild and produce offsprings with those characteristics and so on... resulting in reducing the parasite which kills the diseases.

But if you look closely at 1 and 3

1)One candidate gene would interfere with the mosquito’s finding mates

This means the mosquito will not be able to breed. Destroying the assumption

3) another would disable the mosquito’s own resistance to disease, so that it would die before transmitting the disease.

Which means the mosquito is highly vulnerable to that disease. So as soon as it goes into the wild, it dies and shall no longer be able to breed or fulfill the assumption in the first place

These two points cancel assumption

As for 2) It's saying it will destroy the parasite before it is transmitted; not the mosquito. While 3 says that the mosquito will die. They are not the same at all 2 is killing the disease, 3 is killing the messenger

Kudos if I helped ;)

Kudos [?]: 87 [1], given: 23

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2016, 06:18
Hi Folks / chetan2u,

Thanks for your contribution and helping me to understand the argument.
I just want to reiterate the situation so that you can confirm I understood it correctly-

The are 2 entities-
1. Parasite
2. Mosquito
3. Human

Parasite enters in the mosquito to find mate
Mosquito gets the disease.
So, when Mosquito attack to human, Human gets the disease.

Talking about last 2 genes-

-->another would cause destruction of a disease parasite before the stage at which it could be transmitted;
This says, the gene will destruct PARASITE before it could transmit to MOSQUITO.

-->another would disable the mosquito’s own resistance to disease, so that it would die before transmitting the disease.
This says, the gene will destruct MOSQUITO's resistance to PARASITE before it could transmit disease to HUMAN.

Am I thinking in right direction..??

Thanks and Regards,,
Prakahr

Thanks and Regards,
Prakhar

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
P

Kudos [?]: 5855 [1], given: 117

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2016, 06:46
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
PrakharGMAT wrote:
Hi Folks / chetan2u,

Thanks for your contribution and helping me to understand the argument.
I just want to reiterate the situation so that you can confirm I understood it correctly-

The are 2 entities-
1. Parasite
2. Mosquito
3. Human

Parasite enters in the mosquito to find mate
Mosquito gets the disease.
So, when Mosquito attack to human, Human gets the disease.

Talking about last 2 genes-

-->another would cause destruction of a disease parasite before the stage at which it could be transmitted;
This says, the gene will destruct PARASITE before it could transmit to MOSQUITO.

-->another would disable the mosquito’s own resistance to disease, so that it would die before transmitting the disease.
This says, the gene will destruct MOSQUITO's resistance to PARASITE before it could transmit disease to HUMAN.

Am I thinking in right direction..??

Thanks and Regards,,
Prakahr

Hi,
the beginning of whole thing could be--
1) The wild mosquitos are susceptible to these parasite, which cause disease. So, they get this parasite from some other diseased person or animal when they bite that person or animal, and they just become carrier/transmitter of it. The moment they bite some healthy person, they transmit the disease to him/her but in the process they do not get affected because of immunity in their body against these parasite.
2) Now what is the role of these genes..
a) 1st will make changes in their body such that they find it difficult to find a partner to mate. this will effect their population. slowly this NEW breed will replace the existing parasite carrying breed.
2) 2nd will produce changes such that they kill the parasite before it becomes powerful enough to get transmitted.
3) 3rd stage will weaken the resistance power of these mosquitos so that they themselves die of it rather than transmit..

Now the TWO discrepancies--
1) On one hand we are making changes 2 and 3 so that this new breed kills the parasite and slowly replaces the existing breed, BUT simultaneously the 1st gene is making it difficult to find partner to mate, finally this will effect this new breed too and their gene will not allow them to find partner, which we want to replace with.
2) 2nd and 3rd are almost doing the opposite thing - In a way one is increasing the immunity and the OTHER is destroying it..

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

Kudos [?]: 5855 [1], given: 117

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 1056

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2017, 21:16
the source of this question is from veritas prep.
Such question will be modified in the actually gmat, I believe so.

B is a common pattern, but in this question, it is hard to recognize the pattern in B.
B is indeed the correct b/c if mosquitoes cannot find mates, or die by its own disease, then mosquitoes will not serve the goal that "the dangerous wild population could eventually be replaced with a harmless one without leaving room for another disease-transmitting type to flourish."

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 1056

Re: It is proposed to introduce mosquitoes into the wild with geneti   [#permalink] 03 Nov 2017, 21:16

It is proposed to introduce mosquitoes into the wild with geneti

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap