GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Oct 2018, 23:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

It is widely accepted by nutritionists that calcium is strongly relate

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Technology
It is widely accepted by nutritionists that calcium is strongly relate  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2016, 21:29
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

62% (01:42) correct 38% (01:48) wrong based on 301 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

It is widely accepted by nutritionists that calcium is strongly related to bone growth and maintenance. However, dairy products, common containers of this chemical element, cannot be consumed by vegans or people with allergies and unfavorable reactions to milk. Because of the importance of this mineral to the body, people that cannot simply consume dairy products should search for alternative sources of it.

Which of the following, if true, most strengthens the author's conclusion?

A. Levels of calcium that exceed the necessary amount can be harmful to the kidney.
B. Calcium fulfills certain functions that can be performed by other minerals that are received from sources that are not dairy products.
C. Calcium is the most commonly found mineral in the human body.
D. Many people do not consume the amount of calcium they should due to a lack of understanding of its importance.
E. Substantial portions of calcium exist in non-dairy foods such as spinach and blackstrap molasses.
Retired Moderator
B
Status: On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sit on a throne of blood.
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: It is widely accepted by nutritionists that calcium is strongly relate  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2016, 01:43
It is widely accepted by nutritionists that calcium is strongly related to bone growth and maintenance. However, dairy products, common containers of this chemical element, cannot be consumed by vegans or people with allergies and unfavorable reactions to milk. Because of the importance of this mineral to the body, people that cannot simply consume dairy products should search for alternative sources of it.

A. Levels of calcium that exceed the necessary amount can be harmful to the kidney. Irrelevant
B. Calcium fulfills certain functions that can be performed by other minerals that are received from sources that are not dairy products. This weakens. If there are other minerals which can do what Calcium does, then we don't need Calcium.
C. Calcium is the most commonly found mineral in the human body. Irrelevant
D. Many people do not consume the amount of calcium they should due to a lack of understanding of its importance. Irrelevant again.
E. Substantial portions of calcium exist in non-dairy foods such as spinach and blackstrap molasses.Correct. We *should* be eating calcium from other sources and there are other sources besides dairy that give us this Calcium
Director
Director
B
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE: Business Development (Real Estate)
It is widely accepted by nutritionists that calcium is strongly relate  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2016, 05:04

<<<IMO:
    Premise-people that cannot simply consume dairy products(Vegans or people with allergies and unfavorable reactions to milk) cannot consume dairy product
    Conclusion-people that cannot simply consume dairy products(Vegans or people with allergies and unfavorable reactions to milk) should search alternative sources
    Reasoning of the Argument:Those who can not consume dairy product......>should search alternative sources
>>>

A. Levels of calcium that exceed the necessary amount can be harmful to the kidney......>Outside the scope of the argument

B. Calcium fulfills certain functions that can be performed by other minerals that are received from sources that are not dairy products......>Tempting answer Choice.Distorted the argument by presenting performance comparison between Calcium and other minerals.

C. Calcium is the most commonly found mineral in the human body........>information about calcium is irrelevant to the argument .

D. Many people do not consume the amount of calcium they should due to a lack of understanding of its importance......>Outside the scope of the argument

E. Substantial portions of calcium exist in non-dairy foods such as spinach and blackstrap molasses......>matched with the reasoning of the argument above and strengthened the argument

Correct Answer E

Md. Abdur Rakib

Please Press +1 Kudos,If it helps
Sentence Correction-Collection of Ron Purewal's "elliptical construction/analogies" for SC Challenges

Manager
Manager
B
Re: It is widely accepted by nutritionists that calcium is strongly relate  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2016, 05:22
E. Substantial portions of calcium exist in non-dairy foods such as spinach and blackstrap molasses.

Specifies the alternate source for calcium as required by the argument.

Good luck
=========================================================================================
"If a street performer makes you stop walking, you owe him a buck"
"If this post helps you on your GMAT journey, drop a +1 Kudo "

"Thursdays with Ron - Consolidated Verbal Master List - Updated"

Director
Director
B
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 24 Jul 2016, 12:06
ANSWER IS E

Conclusion of the argument:- Because calcium is a must have/important mineral for your body and because calcium is found is Diary products, if you cannot eat dairy, then you should eat other food items that have calcium

What would weaken this conclusion? - Except diary , no other food in the world has calcium (It's easy to find a weakener and then flip it to get a strengthener. )
WHAT WOULD STRENGTHEN THE CONCLUSION:- Apart from dairy there are many other food that contains calcium

Perfect !!!! Now we have found the Strengthener. Match it with your answer options. It matches only with option E

CORRECT ANSWER IS E

alpham wrote:

A. Levels of calcium that exceed the necessary amount can be harmful to the kidney.
B. Calcium fulfills certain functions that can be performed by other minerals that are received from sources that are not dairy products.
C. Calcium is the most commonly found mineral in the human body.
D. Many people do not consume the amount of calcium they should due to a lack of understanding of its importance.

Posting an answer without an explanation is "GOD COMPLEX". The world doesn't need any more gods. Please explain you answers properly.
FINAL GOODBYE :- 17th SEPTEMBER 2016. .. 16 March 2017 - I am back but for all purposes please consider me semi-retired.

Originally posted by LogicGuru1 on 24 Jul 2016, 08:05.
Last edited by LogicGuru1 on 24 Jul 2016, 12:06, edited 2 times in total.
Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2018, 20:00
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

-
April 2018: New Forum dedicated to Verbal Strategies, Guides, and Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: It is widely accepted by nutritionists that calcium is strongly relate &nbs [#permalink] 23 Sep 2018, 20:00

It is widely accepted by nutritionists that calcium is strongly relate

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap