GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Oct 2018, 14:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

John can complete a given task in 20 days. Jane will take

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
P
Re: John can complete a given task in 20 days. Jane will take  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2018, 20:32
raissatianang wrote:
hello folks
i totaly agree that the total number spend on this work is 10 days. but i have a question regarding the way the question is ask. it is asking 'In how many days did the work get over from the time John and Jane started to work on it together?'. i feel like from the time they start work together it is 6 not 10 cuz john start alone. please can you explain me why it is 10. please somebody to respond to me

The question tells us: "John and Jane set out to complete the task by beginning to work together. However, Jane was indisposed 4 days before the work got over."

So they started working together and John completed it at the end. It took 10 days to complete.

It asks: "In how many days did the work get over from the time John and Jane started to work on it together"

From the time they started, how many days did it take to finish the work? From the time they started, it tool 10 days. Who worked for how many days doesn't matter. The work took 10 days to complete.

Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

GMAT self-study has never been more personalized or more fun. Try ORION Free!

Intern
Intern
B
Re: John can complete a given task in 20 days. Jane will take  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2018, 23:18
arjtryarjtry wrote:
John can complete a given task in 20 days. Jane will take only 12 days to complete the same task. John and Jane set out to complete the task by beginning to work together. However, Jane was indisposed 4 days before the work got over. In how many days did the work get over from the time John and Jane started to work on it together?

A. 6
B. 10
C. 8
D. 7.5
E. 3.5

Let's say there are 60 units of work to be done. So, John completes 3 units/day, while Jane completes 5 units/day.
If the work finished in d days from the time it started, then the work done by each 5(d-4) + 3d = 60 = > d = 10
GMAT Club Bot
Re: John can complete a given task in 20 days. Jane will take &nbs [#permalink] 03 Mar 2018, 23:18

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 22 posts ] 

John can complete a given task in 20 days. Jane will take

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap