GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 May 2019, 11:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Judge 2016 FT ranking

new topic post reply Update application status  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Judge 2016 FT ranking  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2016, 11:04
Hey guys,

I can see that Judge improved from last year according to the FT ranking ==> from 13th to 10th place. Also, the the average salary is 156 k as opposed to 154 k of LBS. How can that be explained ? At the same time average gmat is relatively low at around 690 and acceptance rate relatively high at around 30%. How can that be explained ? So highlly ranked, but at the same time, such high acceptance rate and low gmat ?
Manager
Manager
Re: Judge 2016 FT ranking  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2016, 11:18
Ivan91 wrote:
Hey guys,

I can see that Judge improved from last year according to the FT ranking ==> from 13th to 10th place. Also, the the average salary is 156 k as opposed to 154 k of LBS. How can that be explained ? At the same time average gmat is relatively low at around 690 and acceptance rate relatively high at around 30%. How can that be explained ? So highlly ranked, but at the same time, such high acceptance rate and low gmat ?

Salaries are massaged
GMAT is decent enough vs European average
Don't trust rankings

Posted from my mobile device
Schools: Judge'17 (A)
GPA: 3.45

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2016, 11:44
First the average GMAT of 690, as PlastMan mentioned, is not significantly lower than LBS, which has just recently increased from 690/5 to 700. The highest ranked programs in Europe (LBS & INSEAD) both have average GMATs of 700. This is most likely a function of the number of non-native English speakers attending these schools.

Secondly, both LBS and INSEAD are rumored to have acceptance rates that fluctuate significantly. Some say INSEAD & LBS acceptance rates are over 25% in certain years, and others state LBS as low as 13%. My guess is that it is somewhere in between. The fact that they don't publish their acceptance rate suggests that it is much higher than comparative US schools that all tend to be under/around 20%.

Lastly, I don't think you can discount the salary figures so readily, PlastMan. Judge is a 1-year program and attracts a different type of student than LBS. The average age tends to be slightly higher at Judge and people are likely further along in their career. When these people graduate and take jobs in industry (versus consulting/banking) they will command a higher wage in the market.

i think you will continue to see Judge climb in the rankings. It is a relatively new program, but you cannot discount the brand of Cambridge, and their career statistics are on par with LBS and US programs ranked 8-12. I wouldn't be surprised to see it surpass the Spanish schools, that have no name recognition outside of Europe, in rankings other than the FT in the next few years.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2016, 11:49
MBYAY wrote:
First the average GMAT of 690, as PlastMan mentioned, is not significantly lower than LBS, which has just recently increased from 690/5 to 700. The highest ranked programs in Europe (LBS & INSEAD) both have average GMATs of 700. This is most likely a function of the number of non-native English speakers attending these schools.

Secondly, both LBS and INSEAD are rumored to have acceptance rates that fluctuate significantly. Some say INSEAD & LBS acceptance rates are over 25% in certain years, and others state LBS as low as 13%. My guess is that it is somewhere in between. The fact that they don't publish their acceptance rate suggests that it is much higher than comparative US schools that all tend to be under/around 20%.

Lastly, I don't think you can discount the salary figures so readily, PlastMan. Judge is a 1-year program and attracts a different type of student than LBS. The average age tends to be slightly higher at Judge and people are likely further along in their career. When these people graduate and take jobs in industry (versus consulting/banking) they will command a higher wage in the market.

i think you will continue to see Judge climb in the rankings. It is a relatively new program, but you cannot discount the brand of Cambridge, and their career statistics are on par with LBS and US programs ranked 8-12. I wouldn't be surprised to see it surpass the Spanish schools, that have no name recognition outside of Europe, in the next few years.

Then Canbridge graduates salary is not a function of the brand but of the graduates' experience/age, thus I would discount the salary as a decision variable.

Schools: Judge'17 (A)
GPA: 3.45

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2016, 11:57
PlastMan wrote:

Then Canbridge graduates salary is not a function of the brand but of the graduates' experience/age, thus I would discount the salary as a decision variable.

Touche.

Although I don't think you can discredit it entirely because they do have about 50 percent of their class going into consulting/banking, and 66 percent (according to most recent report) switched functions. So perhaps it should be downplayed as a decision factor but not entirely discounted.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2016, 01:33
As a person who is currently doing MSc Finance in Germany and will finish it in December and start working full time in January, when I am 25, if I do 4 years of WE and at 29 I decide to do an MBA, Judge will be my first choice. I want to do long-term politics and the brand name of Cambridge and the appeal to the common people cannot be discarted. Cambridge and Oxford for example are way better than LBS or Wharton, for these purposes. But apart from that, the school really seems to do pretty well and it wouldnt be too much to claim that it is #3 in Europe right now, after INSEAD and LBS. The Spanish schools are strong but with the Spanish economy at the moment ?
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2016, 02:50
Ivan91 wrote:
As a person who is currently doing MSc Finance in Germany and will finish it in December and start working full time in January, when I am 25, if I do 4 years of WE and at 29 I decide to do an MBA, Judge will be my first choice. I want to do long-term politics and the brand name of Cambridge and the appeal to the common people cannot be discarted. Cambridge and Oxford for example are way better than LBS or Wharton, for these purposes. But apart from that, the school really seems to do pretty well and it wouldnt be too much to claim that it is #3 in Europe right now, after INSEAD and LBS. The Spanish schools are strong but with the Spanish economy at the moment ?

No intentions to offend but MBAs are not the same as undergrads at Oxbridge and people know the difference.

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2016, 02:53
MBYAY wrote:
PlastMan wrote:

Touche.

Although I don't think you can discredit it entirely because they do have about 50 percent of their class going into consulting/banking, and 66 percent (according to most recent report) switched functions. So perhaps it should be downplayed as a decision factor but not entirely discounted.

Agree. I think 3-4 years ago the MBA at Cambridge was relatively cheap. Not so much nowadays.

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2016, 15:42
PlastMan wrote:
Ivan91 wrote:

No intentions to offend but MBAs are not the same as undergrads at Oxbridge and people know the difference.

Sure, but I doubt the average person in Eastern Europe can make a difference :) Or even people from outisde the UK who are not familiar with MBAs and educational ''terms'' in general. When you go into politics, you need to win the average voter nad he is not that informed. If you went to Cambridge then you went there, go figure what does "MBA" or "Undergrad" mean :)
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2016, 15:44
Ivan91 wrote:
PlastMan wrote:
Ivan91 wrote:

Sure, but I doubt the average person in Eastern Europe can make a difference :) Or even people from outisde the UK who are not familiar with MBAs and educational ''terms'' in general. When you go into politics, you need to win the average voter nad he is not that informed. If you went to Cambridge then you went there, go figure what does "MBA" or "Undergrad" mean :)

True. I guess you have what it takes to make it in politics

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2017, 10:30
MBYAY wrote:

i think you will continue to see Judge climb in the rankings. It is a relatively new program, but you cannot discount the brand of Cambridge, and their career statistics are on par with LBS and US programs ranked 8-12. I wouldn't be surprised to see it surpass the Spanish schools, that have no name recognition outside of Europe, in rankings other than the FT in the next few years.

You were right: Judge has climbed to the 5th place worldwide this year surpassing LBS and all the spanish schools (making it 2nd in Europe).

Quote:

This is only in the UK .But even in the UK the attitudes change as more employers realise that graduates from isolated business schools (like LBS. IE,ESADE or INSEAD) cant offer as much in terms of creativity and weaker on the entrepreneurship scene. The reason is that there is no collaboration with wider academia (engineers, scientists etc) and subsequently there are less startup ideas floating around.
GMAT Club Bot
Judge 2016 FT ranking   [#permalink] 07 Jul 2017, 10:30

Judge 2016 FT ranking

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: SamuelWitwicky

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap