It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 17:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Last year, the composite El-Hi education (CEHE) ranking for Silver

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 2423 [1], given: 178

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Last year, the composite El-Hi education (CEHE) ranking for Silver [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2015, 13:05
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

83% (01:28) correct 17% (01:09) wrong based on 132 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Last year, the composite El-Hi education (CEHE) ranking for Silver County was its lowest score on record, since composite were first calculated in 1964. The CEHE ranking is a sophisticated weighed average of standardized testing results from Grade 1 to Grade 12. This year, the testing result for grades 1-6 in Silver County are about the same as they were last year, and the testing results for high school (grades 9-12) in Silver County are lower than last year's high school results in Silver County. Surely the middle school testing results (grades 7-9) in Silver County will also be as low as, or lower than, last year's results. Therefore, Silver County will undoubtedly establish a new low in its CEHE ranking.

In the argument, the two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?

A) The first is a prediction that, if accurate, would provide support for the main conclusion of the argument; the second is that main conclusion.
B) The first is a claim that has been advanced in support of a position the argument opposes; the second is a claim advanced in support of the main conclusions of the argument.
C) The first is a prediction that, if accurate, would provide support for the main conclusion of the argument; the second is a conclusion drawn in order to support the main conclusion.
D) The first is an objection that the main argument rejects; the second present a conclusion that could be drawn if that object were allowed to stand.
E) The first is an objection that the main argument rejects; the second is that main conclusion.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Simple way to always control time during the quant part.
How to solve main idea questions without full understanding of RC.
660 (Q48, V33) - unpleasant surprise
740 (Q50, V40, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)

Kudos [?]: 2423 [1], given: 178

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 8946 [0], given: 111

Re: Last year, the composite El-Hi education (CEHE) ranking for Silver [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2015, 15:03
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Harley1980 wrote:
Last year, the composite El-Hi education (CEHE) ranking for Silver County was its lowest score on record, since composite were first calculated in 1964. The CEHE ranking is a sophisticated weighed average of standardized testing results from Grade 1 to Grade 12. This year, the testing result for grades 1-6 in Silver County are about the same as they were last year, and the testing results for high school (grades 9-12) in Silver County are lower than last year's high school results in Silver County. Surely the middle school testing results (grades 7-9) in Silver County will also be as low as, or lower than, last year's results. Therefore, Silver County will undoubtedly establish a new low in its CEHE ranking.

In the argument, the two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?

A) The first is a prediction that, if accurate, would provide support for the main conclusion of the argument; the second is that main conclusion.
B) The first is a claim that has been advanced in support of a position the argument opposes; the second is a claim advanced in support of the main conclusions of the argument.
C) The first is a prediction that, if accurate, would provide support for the main conclusion of the argument; the second is a conclusion drawn in order to support the main conclusion.
D) The first is an objection that the main argument rejects; the second present a conclusion that could be drawn if that object were allowed to stand.
E) The first is an objection that the main argument rejects; the second is that main conclusion.

Dear Harley1980,
I'm happy to respond. :-) I wrote a tricky boldface question here. :-)

The main conclusion of the argument is the last sentence, the second BF passage. There are three pieces of evidence for this conclusion
(a) "the testing result for grades 1-6 in Silver County are about the same as they were last year"
(b) "the testing results for high school (grades 9-12) in Silver County are lower than last year's high school results in Silver County"
(c) "the middle school testing results (grades 7-9) in Silver County will also be as low as, or lower than, last year's results"
The first two sound completely factual, as if the data is already in. The third, which is the first BF, is a prediction, and if this prediction were true, it would certainly support the conclusion.

Thus,
BF #1 = a prediction that would support the main conclusion, if it's true
BF #2 = the main conclusion
Very straightforward. OA = (A)

Many of the other answer choices create confusing scenarios that are not correct. BF #1 is not an objection and it wouldn't oppose the main conclusion, BF #2 is the main conclusion, plain and simple, not something supporting something else. It's important to have a good understand of the relationship of the two BF statements before sifting through the answer choices.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Kudos [?]: 8946 [0], given: 111

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 275 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Last year, the composite El-Hi education (CEHE) ranking for Silver [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2017, 06:57
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 275 [0], given: 0

Re: Last year, the composite El-Hi education (CEHE) ranking for Silver   [#permalink] 28 Oct 2017, 06:57

Last year, the composite El-Hi education (CEHE) ranking for Silver

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap