GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Oct 2019, 06:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Less than half of a committee that is to be formed out of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Director
Director
S
Less than half of a committee that is to be formed out of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2013, 19:11
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

19% (01:59) correct 81% (01:45) wrong based on 83 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Less than half of a committee that is to be formed out of certain group, are to be men. If there are 100 possible ways of forming the committee, then the number of men in the committee can be,

A. 2
B. 3
C. 4
D. 5
E. cannot be determined

Holistic and Systematic Approach
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 440 Q33 V13
GPA: 3
Re: Less than half of a committee that is to be formed out of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2013, 20:13
SravnaTestPrep wrote:
Less than half of a committee that is to be formed out of certain group, are to be men. If there are 100 possible ways of forming the committee, then the number of men in the committee can be,

A. 2
B. 3
C. 4
D. 5
E. cannot be determined

100 possible ways means.
\(T^2\) = 100
so T= 10
So there are of total 10 members, making out of 100 members different ways.

Less than half of a committee that is to be formed out of certain group, are to be men.
m < \(1/2 T\)
m < 2.5
So m will be 2

Guys I have a doubt in this. If my abve method is correct, 100 possible ways means will give 10 by means of combinations or permutations ?
Director
S

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2013, 22:46
SravnaTestPrep wrote:

A. 2
B. 3
C. 4
D. 5
E. cannot be determined

1. Let there be m men and w women out of which the committee is formed.
2. mCn * wCr = 100, where n is the number of men chosen and r is the number of women chosen
3. The possible products for LHS of (2) are, 100 * 1, 50 * 2, 25 * 4, 20 * 5, 10 * 10
4. Since the number of women is greater than the number of men, the first three products in (3) can be rejected as they would not satisfy this condition.
5. In the case of the fourth product, 20 * 5 may be given by 6C3 * 5C1. Though this may satisfy the condition with 3 women and 1 man, 1 man is not in the choices given.
6. The last product 10 * 10 may be given by 5C2 * 5C3 with 2 men and 3 women. This satisfies the condition and also 2 men is one of the choices given.

Therefore the answer is choice A.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2013, 04:58
SravnaTestPrep wrote:
SravnaTestPrep wrote:

A. 2
B. 3
C. 4
D. 5
E. cannot be determined

2. mCn * wCr = 100, where n is the number of men chosen and r is the number of women chosen
3. The possible products for LHS of (2) are, 100 * 1, 50 * 2, 25 * 4, 20 * 5, 10 * 10
4. Since the number of women is greater than the number of men, the first three products in (3) can be rejected as they would not satisfy this condition.
5. In the case of the fourth product, 20 * 5 may be given by 6C3 * 5C1. Though this may satisfy the condition with 3 women and 1 man, 1 man is not in the choices given.
6. The last product 10 * 10 may be given by 5C2 * 5C3 with 2 men and 3 women. This satisfies the condition and also 2 men is one of the choices given.

"the first three products in (3) can be rejected as they would not satisfy this condition."
could not understand that y these 3 products r not satisfying the condition. :( as 100*1 can mean that there are 100 women and 1 man....50*2 means that 50 women and 2 men....25*4 means that 4 men 25 women.....

my other concern is how to calculate quickly that 20 is 6C3 or 10 is 5C2.

Please help me on this...Thanks
Director
Director
S

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2013, 05:06
Perhaps wrote:
SravnaTestPrep wrote:
SravnaTestPrep wrote:

A. 2
B. 3
C. 4
D. 5
E. cannot be determined

"the first three products in (3) can be rejected as they would not satisfy this condition."
could not understand that y these 3 products r not satisfying the condition. :( as 100*1 can mean that there are 100 women and 1 man....50*2 means that 50 women and 2 men....25*4 means that 4 men 25 women.....

my other concern is how to calculate quickly that 20 is 6C3 or 10 is 5C2.

Please help me on this...Thanks

100 can mean only 100 C1, as you are selecting 1 woman out of 100 women. So you are selecting only 1 woman. 1 can mean only nCn and so you are selecting at least one man. But this does not satisfy the condition that the committee should have fewer men than women. Similarly other two cases can be ruled out.

I really do not know any short cut for figuring out how 20 is 6C3 and so on but you can try to remember them for smaller values.

Non-Human User

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2019, 21:26
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Less than half of a committee that is to be formed out of   [#permalink] 08 Apr 2019, 21:26

Less than half of a committee that is to be formed out of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics