Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 18:22 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 18:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Affiliations: CBS '13
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q50  V44
GPA: 3.3 from top 5 ivy
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: CFA
Own Kudos [?]: 142 [1]
Given Kudos: 64
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V43
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V45
Send PM
Current Student
 Q50  V44
Send PM
Re: LGBT applicants or previous applicants [#permalink]
For the sake of diversity, I think being LGBT is different from being a boy scout. So I hope that the schools don't just view involvement in the LGBT rights work as another form of community activity.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
Schools do have events for prospective LGBT applicants, and certainly the school wants to encourage as diverse a pool of applicants to apply to the school as possible. But at the same time there's really no place on the application that asks about sexual preference, nor from what I understand of the application process do they give any sort of preference to LGBT applicants when making an admit decision. As much outreach as schools do to traditionally underrepresented groups, the proportion of these groups in the student body generally matches the proportion of these groups in the applicant pool. Being in one of those groups does not give you a preference in admissions.

At the end of the day, the school isn't really going to want to make a value judgment on how people get involved in the community and say that involvement in one organization (whether it's a LGBT organization, PETA, Habitat for Humanity, the Salvation Army or whatever) is better than involvement in another organization.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [1]
 Q50  V44
Send PM
Kudos
Jerz wrote:
Schools do have events for prospective LGBT applicants, and certainly the school wants to encourage as diverse a pool of applicants to apply to the school as possible. But at the same time there's really no place on the application that asks about sexual preference, nor from what I understand of the application process do they give any sort of preference to LGBT applicants when making an admit decision. As much outreach as schools do to traditionally underrepresented groups, the proportion of these groups in the student body generally matches the proportion of these groups in the applicant pool. Being in one of those groups does not give you a preference in admissions.

At the end of the day, the school isn't really going to want to make a value judgment on how people get involved in the community and say that involvement in one organization (whether it's a LGBT organization, PETA, Habitat for Humanity, the Salvation Army or whatever) is better than involvement in another organization.

It's not about which organization or community experience is better than some other. The issue is that being involved in the LGBT organization as an LGBT person sort of transcends mere involvement in an organization. I am curious to see any proof that "the proportion of these groups in the student body generally matches the proportion of these groups in the applicant pool." Again, I am not asking whether the LGBT students will be treated preferentially. I am interested to know whether it's one of the factors in the deliberation of one's candidacy.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Marketing, Brand Management
Schools:Schulich class of 2012
 Q35  V48
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Kudos
I'm an LGBT applicant and I DESPERATELY wanted to put it on all my applications that I was minority (even though I'm a white male :D)

I would very much doubt any school would not give anyone an admit for being homosexual, but there is no way for them to know until you come to the school and actually say it their face. Almost every school has an LGBT club for MBA students, but let's face - there are very few of us that are out of the closet who make it to the MBA stage. We're fairly underrepresented in the business world, which is why I wanted to play the diversity card and mention my sexual orientation - but I didn't because I know that being gay or in a minority has nothing to do with how I'd succeed or what I can offer business classes. Plus, I hate how so many of us play the LGBT card to either get ahead or make excuses, and I didn't want it to seem like I was "Kruss the poor queer" instead of "Kruss the accomplished MBA prospect."

Being involved in the LGBT movement officially as an activist is great to just tuck away in your resume though, because it lets them know without you actually bringing attention to it!

Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
lawgonebusiness wrote:
It's not about which organization or community experience is better than some other. The issue is that being involved in the LGBT organization as an LGBT person sort of transcends mere involvement in an organization.

You are in a way benefiting from your actions as an activist. Why would you get "bonus points" for that ?
Being an LBGT activist (or for another cause) while not being a LBGT person would indeed transcend your actions.
Current Student
 Q50  V44
Send PM
hazay wrote:
lawgonebusiness wrote:
It's not about which organization or community experience is better than some other. The issue is that being involved in the LGBT organization as an LGBT person sort of transcends mere involvement in an organization.

You are in a way benefiting from your actions as an activist. Why would you get "bonus points" for that ?
Being an LBGT activist (or for another cause) while not being a LBGT person would indeed transcend your actions.

Bonus points? because just like any other underrepresented and under-privileged minority group.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
lawgonebusiness wrote:
Bonus points? because just like any other underrepresented and under-privileged minority group.

You mentioned 2 different things :
[*]How do schools view LGBT students?
[*]The issue is that being involved in the LGBT organization as an LGBT person sort of transcends mere involvement in an organization.

I agree with you on the first point, like any other underrepresented and under-privileged minority group, it should score some bonus points.

But I am answering on the second point. And it is likely that a member of an under-privileged minority group is expected to be an activist to support his minority group when applying for an MBA. It will not transcend his applications. It is the minimum required.
Current Student
 Q50  V44
Send PM
hazay wrote:
lawgonebusiness wrote:

You mentioned 2 different things :
[*]How do schools view LGBT students?
[*]The issue is that being involved in the LGBT organization as an LGBT person sort of transcends mere involvement in an organization.

I agree with you on the first point, like any other underrepresented and under-privileged minority group, it should score some bonus points.

But I am answering on the second point. And it is likely that a member of an under-privileged minority group is expected to be an activist to support his minority group when applying for an MBA. It will not transcend his applications. It is the minimum required.

Agreed on the point that one should be involved in the minority group to claim for any bonus points, but i don't know about whether it is the minimum required. See, other minorities.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Schools:UCLA
Send PM
hazay wrote:
lawgonebusiness wrote:

I agree with this statement--my boss is not LBGT and is an activist and is active in a group. To me that goes above and beyond....

Here is something that is a similar concept:

I volunteer at the local elementary school, help coach a local t-ball team and helped organize a large fundraiser for deployed military spouses--very time consuming activities that I volunteered for......should I get volunteer "bonus points" for these activity?

Now, would it change your response to know that I have a kid in the elementary school and a kid on the T-ball team, and oh, by the way, I am a military spouse so technically I benefit from all of my own volunteer activities. In my humble opinion, what you are saying is no different than being the T-ball coach with a kid on the team and then trying to say that you are going "above and beyond" and deserve to be recognized for the "extra" contribution...
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Yep you cannot ask for any extra contribution when you re already part of the group you re supporting.

lawgonebusiness wrote:
Agreed on the point that one should be involved in the minority group to claim for any bonus points, but i don't know about whether it is the minimum required. See, other minorities.

Not sure what you mean with involved, But due the qualities (Leadership, Impact player, Vision...) sought by the Top MBAs, it seems to be the bare minimum to support and contribute to your under-privileged peer group.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
While maybe the activism should be the more important part, sexuality alone is a bonus on the application, just like URM is a bonus. They want diversity in the class, and that is a diverse aspect. Where do you put it? Umm...how about in those couple of thousand words you get for the essays? I have heard that Tuck is especially LGBT admit friendly.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [1]
 Q50  V44
Send PM
Kudos
It's so funny that people on this board seem to be so indifferent to the sexuality issues. I really hope the real world just operates like this board. However, the discrimination is prevalent and is an issue openly LGBT people have to deal with everyday. It's ridiculous to equal LGBT activism to coaching kids soccer. One is on the level of human rights and social equality, whereas the other is just about contributing to the community. right, they don't ask about your sexuality in the application, but if it really defines you in terms of what you do and how you perceive the world, you are entitled to mention it in your application, be it in your leadership role or your workplace experience.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Schools:UCLA
Send PM
lawgonebusiness wrote:

It's not about which organization or community experience is better than some other. The issue is that being involved in the LGBT organization as an LGBT person sort of transcends mere involvement in an organization. I am curious to see any proof that "the proportion of these groups in the student body generally matches the proportion of these groups in the applicant pool." Again, I am not asking whether the LGBT students will be treated preferentially. I am interested to know whether it's one of the factors in the deliberation of one's candidacy.

This doesnt seem to match up with your last post which seems to say the opposite.

Anyways, I think regardless of what groups you are involved in ADCOMS are expecting you to take a leadership role because that is what they expect from a future MBA. Just my 2 cents...best of luck to you.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
lawgonebusiness wrote:
It's so funny that people on this board seem to be so indifferent to the sexuality issues. I really hope the real world just operates like this board. However, the discrimination is prevalent and is an issue openly LGBT people have to deal with everyday. It's ridiculous to equal LGBT activism to coaching kids soccer. One is on the level of human rights and social equality, whereas the other is just about contributing to the community.

Evn if you wrote just before :
lawgonebusiness wrote:
It's not about which organization or community experience is better than some other.

:wink:

Let s take another example. Because I can understand your point, let s make it much serious than the soccer coach.

Doctor A is volunteering and helping Army veterans suffering from extreme PTSD to get back to a normal life (family, friends, job .. ) He is doing so because he thinks that these soldiers deserve to be helped due the sacrifice they made. he has no ties to the Army.

Doctor B is volunteering and helping Army veterans suffering from extreme PTSD to get back to a normal life (family, friends, job .. ) He is doing so because his 2 brothers are army veterans suffering from extreme PTSD, and that he wants to cure them above anything in his life.

Doctor B is a fantastic guy, no doubt about that. He deserves some kudos.
Doctor A gets extra kudos for doing it just like that.

You are Doctor B, you dont get extra Kudos.

Edit : I might be a little too harsh with you due to my NGO background. Sorry
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
I think the underlying question under the original question was whether lawgonebusiness should mention his (or her) active involvement in LGBT org.

Also, I think we all know that NO MBA school is going to look at it negatively. The issue is the degree of positive-ness. Thus, regardless, YES, do mention your activity in app.

Now, people are somewhat arguing about whether involvement in some org deserves more recognition than others. The most cynical answer would be.... look, it doesn't matter what we think. What adcom (as in actual individual members, not as in a school overall) thinks matter :wink:

But to me, no activity is better than another. Someone might simply define softball coaching as a contribution to the community. But I can easily say that coaching softball to kids makes them more active and direct them to positive path. See how two sounds completely different?

Outright saying that my "volunteer" activity should be perceived with more weight b/c ___ sounds like the person is missing the definition of volunteer activity, and also that kinda reminds me of my high school days when I did community service just to satisfy IB requirement and to put it on my college app. If you are really involved and have done so much for org, I believe it will be naturally revealed in your story -- that will clearly show who you are to adcom, and if so, what's the worry?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 211 [0]
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
Send PM
I recently attended the LGBT open house at HBS and all of these questions came up in the various sessions we were able to attend.

I'm not going to try to make a statement of the supposed "value" of one activity over another, but I can answer what the HBS ad-com said.

When it comes to "outing" yourself on the application -- only do it if it makes sense. That is, feel free to write a story in one of the essays about an experience you've had as a member of the LGBT community if it actually responds to the prompt.

If you do want to "out" yourself without using an essay to do so -- a simple line in your resume could do the trick with your leadership role in an LGBT organization.

Contrary to popular and outdated thoughts, being LGBT is not something uncommon as an applicant. It doesn't help or hurt you all too much... You don't get bonus points or anything - there's no reason to add it in to your application unless it logically makes sense to do so.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot