Last visit was: 05 May 2024, 07:11 It is currently 05 May 2024, 07:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 33279 [9]
Given Kudos: 5783
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 33279 [5]
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 416 [0]
Given Kudos: 778
Send PM
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 33279 [4]
Send PM
Re: Like our political society, the university is under severe attack toda [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
gvij2017 wrote:
Please explain q-4 .I marked E as world hunger is primary and long lasting problem.

The correct answer is (B). This is an application question. The author uses the term “primary problems” to refer to questions of grave importance that are not susceptible to an easy answer. Each of the incorrect answers poses a question that can be answered with a short answer. (A) can be answered with a yes or no. (C) can be answered with a name. (D) can be answered with a date. (E) can be answered with a series of proposals. And even if the answers are not absolutely indisputable, the questions will soon become dead issues. The only problem that is likely to still be around after “we are all dead” is the one of capital punishment.

Hope it Helps
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Re: Like our political society, the university is under severe attack toda [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Can anyone explain Q1.
I got answer as C.

Thanks in advance...
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 33279 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
narayandutta wrote:
Can anyone explain Q1.
I got answer as C.

Thanks in advance...

The correct answer is (A). This is an application question—with a thought reverser. The question asks us to identify the statement with which the author would be least likely to agree. In the fourth paragraph, the author introduces an example of a primary problem. What makes this a primary problem is that there are competing arguments on both sides of the issue: There are benefits to the individual and to society, but there are dangers as well. (A) is not likely to get the author’s agreement since the author acknowledges that the question is an open one. The author implies that society may have such a right, but points out also that the use of such measures must be studied very carefully. That same paragraph strongly suggests that the author would accept choices (B) and (C). As for (D) and (E), these are strands that are woven into the text at several points.

Hope It Helps
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Can anyone provide answers for Q2 n Q3 with explanation?

Sent from my Redmi 3S using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
GRE Forum Moderator
Send PM
Expert Reply
PrashanthMH wrote:
Can anyone provide answers for Q2 n Q3 with explanation?

Sent from my Redmi 3S using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

2. The correct answer is (A). This is a main idea question. The author describes a problem and proposes a solution. (B) is incorrect since the analysis of the system leads the author to propose a reform. (C) is incorrect since the author makes a definite recommendation. (D) is incorrect since the new idea the author outlines is defended in the text, not criticized. (E) is incorrect since the author does not develop the passage by raising questions.

3. The correct answer is (B). This too is a main idea question in that the question asks, “What is the general topic?” (B) is the best answer since the author is speaking about the university and he is addressing fundamental questions of educational philosophy. (A) and (C) are incorrect since politics and science are only tangentially related to the argument. (D) and (E) can be eliminated on the same ground and on the additional ground that though the author wants to make education practical, the decision to do that will be a decision based on philosophical concerns.

Hope It Helps
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
explainations to question3 and Q1?

(I choose A in 1 and C in question 3)

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hi,

Can someone please explain Q3?

Thank you,
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
please explain question 1 ?
GRE Forum Moderator
Send PM
Expert Reply
Sajal089 wrote:
q5 explanation?

Official Explanation

5. With which of the following statements about the use of scientific techniques to change an individual’s genetic makeup would the author LEAST likely agree?

Difficulty Level: 750

Explanation

This is an
application question—with a thought reverser. The question asks us to identify the statement with which the author would be least likely to agree. In the fourth paragraph, the author introduces an example of a primary problem. What makes this a primary problem is that there are competing arguments on both sides of the issue: There are benefits to the individual and to society, but there are dangers as well.

(A) is not likely to get the author’s agreement since the author acknowledges that the question is an open one. The author implies that society may have such a right, but points out also that the use of such measures must be studied very carefully. That same paragraph strongly suggests that the author would accept choices (B) and (C).

As for (D) and (E), these are strands that are woven into the text at several points.

The correct answer is (A).

Hope it helps
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 259
Send PM
gvij2017 wrote:
Please explain q-4 .I marked E as world hunger is primary and long lasting problem.

I also marked B. But if you have a closer look at the example given by the author, it says interfering with human destiny. Option B is very close to this example.

Please correct me if I am wrong.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Schools: Foster
Send PM
Sajjad1994 Could you provide explanation for Q6. I marked C as the answer.
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 33279 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Jaychoudhary wrote:
Sajjad1994 Could you provide explanation for Q6. I marked C as the answer.

Official Explanation

6. The primary purpose of the passage is to

Difficulty Level: 650

Explanation

This is a main idea question. The author describes a problem and proposes a solution.

(B) is incorrect since the analysis of the system leads the author to propose a reform.

(C) is incorrect since the author makes a definite recommendation.

(D) is incorrect since the new idea the author outlines is defended in the text, not criticized.

(E) is incorrect since the author does not develop the passage by raising questions.

The correct answer is (A).
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6922 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13979 posts