GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Jul 2018, 00:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

M02-18

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Math Expert
V
M02-18  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2014, 00:17
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

36% (01:10) correct 64% (01:06) wrong based on 232 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Set S consists of more than two integers. Are all the integers in set S negative?

(1) The product of any three integers in the set is negative.

(2) The product of the smallest and largest integers in the set is a prime number.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Math Expert
V
Re M02-18  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2014, 00:17
Official Solution:

(1) The product of any three integers in the set is negative. If the set consists of only 3 terms, then the set could be either {negative, negative, negative} or {negative, positive, positive}. If the set consists of more than 3 terms, then the set can only have negative numbers. Not sufficient.

(2) The product of the smallest and largest integers in the set is a prime number. Since only positive numbers can be primes, then the smallest and largest integers in the set must be of the same sign. Thus the set consists of only negative or only positive integers. Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) Since the second statement rules out {negative, positive, positive} case which we had from (1), then we have that the set must have only negative integers. Sufficient.

Answer: C

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

Current Student
Concentration: Human Resources, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.5
WE: Human Resources (Consumer Products)
Re: M02-18  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2015, 08:27
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

(1) The product of any three integers in the set is negative. If the set consists of only 3 terms, then the set could be either {negative, negative, negative} or {negative, positive, positive}. If the set consists of more than 3 terms, then the set can only have negative numbers. Not sufficient.

(2) The product of the smallest and largest integers in the set is a prime number. Since only positive numbers can be primes, then the smallest and largest integers in the set must be of the same sign. Thus the set consists of only negative or only positive integers. Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) Since the second statement rules out {negative, positive, positive} case which we had from (1), then we have that the set must have only negative integers. Sufficient.

Hello!

I didnt get this one. What if the set has 4 values - 2 positive and 2 negative.

-> [2,3,-1,-5]

Now if we pick any 3 values it can be either positive or negative. e.g 2*3*-1 = -6 but -5*-1*2 - 10

Can you please explain. :oops:

Thanks!

Thanks,
aimtoteach

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please give Kudos if you find this post useful.

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2015, 09:41
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

I didn't get it how is it C ?

and the order can be { positive, negative , positive } rite then how is c correct ?
5 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '16, IIMA , IIMB, IIMC
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2015, 10:38
Hi appu5
{ positive, negative , positive }
In this case the first condition holds true i.e. product of 3 no's is negative.
Now, lets check he 2nd condition. The product of smallest and largest no. is a prime no.Here smallest would be the negative no. and largest would be one of the positive no., that gives us a negative no.(prime no's are always postiive). So, this example does not satisfy the 2nd condition.
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Healthcare
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2015, 12:04
aimtoteach wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

Hello!

I didnt get this one. What if the set has 4 values - 2 positive and 2 negative.

-> [2,3,-1,-5]

Now if we pick any 3 values it can be either positive or negative. e.g 2*3*-1 = -6 but -5*-1*2 - 10

Can you please explain. :oops:

Thanks!

Hi,

It seems you are trying to falsify what is already established in the statement. Statement A states that product of ANY three nos. is negative. Hence we take only those sets of nos. where this condition holds true.

Statement A states that the product of ANY 3 nos. in the set is negative. This can only be true when all the nos. are negative or one or two nos. are positive based on the size of the set. (if it is a three no. set, then two positive nos., for more than 3 no. sets, 1 positive no.) {simply because if there are 3 positive nos., it will hold the Statement A false}. As nos. can be either positive(one or two) or negative, Hence A is not sufficient.

And B states that the product of min and max value is prime. Since only positive nos. can be prime, min and max values should both be either positive or negative. Again B is not sufficient

Thus taking A & C together, both min and max can not be positive since A has already established that all the nos. can not be positive (if min and max are both positive this means all the nos., lie between min and max, will also be positive)
Thus if min and max are both negative, all the nos. are negative which back the inference we made in A.

Hence C is the answer.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B
Re M02-18  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2015, 21:50
I think this is a poor-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation. Set (1,-2,3 ) and (-1,-2,-3) can satisfy both conditions
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2015, 03:23
harshada1 wrote:
I think this is a poor-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation. Set (1,-2,3 ) and (-1,-2,-3) can satisfy both conditions

You did not understand the question and the solution.

(2) says: the product of the smallest and largest integers in the set is a prime number.

The product of the smallest and largest integers of (1, -2, 3) is -2*3 = -6, which is not a prime.

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Intern
Intern
Premium Member
Re M02-18  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2015, 02:03
I think this is a high-quality question and the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate. Consider the sets {1,-2, 5} and {-1,-2,-5}. These sets satisfy both St.1 and 2, and so you cannot definitively answer the question. Ans E for me. Not satisfied with the explanation
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2015, 04:42
sidney123 wrote:
I think this is a high-quality question and the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate. Consider the sets {1,-2, 5} and {-1,-2,-5}. These sets satisfy both St.1 and 2, and so you cannot definitively answer the question. Ans E for me. Not satisfied with the explanation

You did not understand the question.

(2) says: the product of the smallest and largest integers in the set is a prime number.

The product of the smallest and largest integers of {1, -2, 5} is -2*5 = -10, which is NOT prime!

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Intern
Intern
Re M02-18  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2016, 08:15
I think this the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate. in stat. 2 it doesnt have to mean that all the integers in the set are positive. i can be
-ve +ve -ve
or
+ve -ve +ve (just an example)
we cant say that all the int. have to be of the same sign.
Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2016, 10:46
nishantdoshi wrote:
I think this the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate. in stat. 2 it doesnt have to mean that all the integers in the set are positive. i can be
-ve +ve -ve
or
+ve -ve +ve (just an example)
we cant say that all the int. have to be of the same sign.

Please read the discussion above.

The smallest integer in your examples above would be negative and the largest one would be positive giving negative product, which cannot be a prime.

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V34
GPA: 3.8
WE: Operations (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2016, 08:19
Great question!
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
GPA: 2.75
Reviews Badge
Re M02-18  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2016, 13:07
I think this is a high-quality question and I agree with explanation.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V34
GPA: 3.8
WE: Operations (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re M02-18  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2016, 04:38
Intern
Intern
B
Re M02-18  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2016, 06:41
I think this is a poor-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation. I got the answer as B. The question is are all the integers in the set negative? S2 suggests the smallest and the largest are positive. So all the numbers are not negative. So S2 is sufficient. What am I missing?
Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2016, 08:39
njj1984 wrote:
I think this is a poor-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation. I got the answer as B. The question is are all the integers in the set negative? S2 suggests the smallest and the largest are positive. So all the numbers are not negative. So S2 is sufficient. What am I missing?

Please re-read the solution:

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Intern
Intern
B
Re M02-18  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2016, 05:35
I think this is a high-quality question.
Intern
Intern
B
Re M02-18  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2016, 05:36
Intern
Intern
B
Premium Member
Re M02-18  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2016, 20:12
Re M02-18 &nbs [#permalink] 25 Nov 2016, 20:12

Go to page    1   2   3    Next  [ 41 posts ] 

M02-18

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, Bunuel

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap