GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Oct 2019, 12:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

M10-12

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 58320
M10-12  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2014, 00:41
1
8
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  15% (low)

Question Stats:

82% (01:27) correct 18% (01:47) wrong based on 91 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 58320
Re M10-12  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2014, 00:41
1
1
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 Jul 2013
Posts: 3
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: M10-12  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2014, 08:07
I'd appreciate if you could explain what you did for st 2.. how did you get x/8 ?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Dec 2009
Posts: 86
GMAT Date: 12-03-2014
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: M10-12  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2014, 15:24
1
1
Split 24N + 10 ==> (24N+8) + 2

It can further be written as 8(3N+1) + 2. When this is divided by 8 the remainder is 2.
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 27 Aug 2014
Posts: 70
Re: M10-12  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2016, 00:48
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:


Statement (1) by itself is sufficient. From S1 it follows that \(X = 16N + 2\) where \(N\) is an integer. Thus, the remainder of \(\frac{X}{8}\) is 2.

Statement (2) by itself is sufficient. From S2 it follows that \(X = 24N + 10 = (24N + 8) + 2\) where \(N\) is an integer. Thus, the remainder of \(\frac{X}{8}\) is 2.


Answer: D


Hi

I think I am missing some concept here. I framed equations like this:
Stem=X=8a+R; To find R=X-8a
Stmt1=X=16b+2
Stmt2=X=24c+10

Hence got E as cant find a or X from any of the stmts. I knw logically what I did is not wrong but dont know how to proceed from here. Read something about primes but how does the concept come about? Pls elaborate. Thanks.
Math Expert
avatar
V
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 7953
M10-12  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2016, 01:01
3
3
sinhap07 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:


Statement (1) by itself is sufficient. From S1 it follows that \(X = 16N + 2\) where \(N\) is an integer. Thus, the remainder of \(\frac{X}{8}\) is 2.

Statement (2) by itself is sufficient. From S2 it follows that \(X = 24N + 10 = (24N + 8) + 2\) where \(N\) is an integer. Thus, the remainder of \(\frac{X}{8}\) is 2.


Answer: D


Hi

I think I am missing some concept here. I framed equations like this:
Stem=X=8a+R; To find R=X-8a
Stmt1=X=16b+2
Stmt2=X=24c+10

Hence got E as cant find a or X from any of the stmts. I knw logically what I did is not wrong but dont know how to proceed from here. Read something about primes but how does the concept come about? Pls elaborate. Thanks.


Hi,
NOTE:-
whatever is the remainder by an integer, the remainder will remain teh same if div by its factors..
only thing to check is if the R is further div by that factor

what you should have done after making your statements..
Stmt1=X=16b+2
we do not require X or a, we are interested in R..
so what does x/8 mean..
(16b+2)/8=16b/8 + 2/8..
16b is div by 8 so will not leave any remainder but 2/8 will leave a remainder of 2..
suff

Stmt2=X=24c+10

same way ( 24c+10)/8= 3c +10/8..
when 10 is div by 8, it will give us 2 as remainder ..
again suff

D

_________________
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 27 Nov 2015
Posts: 122
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: M10-12  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2016, 06:09
could someone explain to me how does it follow from statement 1 that

that X=16N+2X=16N+2 where N is an integer?
Math Expert
avatar
V
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 7953
Re: M10-12  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2016, 06:22
nausherwan wrote:
could someone explain to me how does it follow from statement 1 that

that X=16N+2X=16N+2 where N is an integer?


hi
I. (1) The remainder of \(\frac{X}{16}\) is 2...
it can be written as -- when x is divided by 16, the remainder is 2...
we do not know the quotient(Q) here but just know the remainder..
how do I write it in a equation-
x = 16a + 2..
a is the quotient and 2 is the remainder..
say a is 5.. so x= 5*16 +2 = 82..
I can write it as-- the remainder of 82/16 is 2..

so x=16n+2 is just another way of writing -- The remainder of \(\frac{X}{16}\) is 2
_________________
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 58320
Re: M10-12  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2016, 06:24
1
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Aug 2016
Posts: 7
Concentration: International Business, Sustainability
Re: M10-12  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2016, 22:58
why did you consider N as an integer.it was not given in the question?
Manager
Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 12 Jun 2016
Posts: 212
Location: India
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: M10-12  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2017, 10:08
Another approach - Write out few of the Numbers and check

S1: The Remainder of \(\frac{X}{16}= 2\)
This means X = 2, 18, 34...
Remainders when divided by 8 in all the cases = 2
Suff

S2: The Remainder of \(\frac{X}{24}= 10\)
This means X = 10, 34, 58...
Remainder when X is divided by 8 in all cases = 2
Suff

Final answer : D
_________________
My Best is yet to come!
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 09 Jan 2018
Posts: 1
Reviews Badge
Re M10-12  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2018, 00:53
I think this is a high-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation. what if we take x=14 for statement 1.
then 14/16 gives rem as 2
but 14/8 gives rem as 6.
so the correct answer should be B.
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 58320
Re: M10-12  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2018, 01:49
muditsingh0616 wrote:
I think this is a high-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation. what if we take x=14 for statement 1.
then 14/16 gives rem as 2
but 14/8 gives rem as 6.
so the correct answer should be B.


14 divided by 16 gives the remainder of 14, not 2. From (1) x could be 2, 18, 34, 50, 66, ... Each of these values gives a remainder of 2 when divided by 8, so (1) is sufficient.
_________________
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 06 Oct 2018
Posts: 29
Re: M10-12  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2018, 11:05
Don't see how S) 1 is sufficient.

x/16 gives remainder 2.

Hence X = 16q + 2

if q=0,
x= 16(0) + 2
=2

if q=1
x= 16 + 2
= 18

lets take x=2. 2/8 gives 0 remainder 8.
lets take x=18 18/8 gives 2 remainder 2.

Insufficient.

S) 2 on the other hand..

X = 24p + 10

if p=0
x= 10

p=1
x = 34

10/8 gives remainder 2
34/8 gives remainder 2.

Statement 2 works, but 1 doesn't.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 Feb 2019
Posts: 4
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V31
Re: M10-12  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2019, 13:59
PierTotti17 wrote:
Don't see how S) 1 is sufficient.

x/16 gives remainder 2.

Hence X = 16q + 2

if q=0,
x= 16(0) + 2
=2

if q=1
x= 16 + 2
= 18

lets take x=2. 2/8 gives 0 remainder 8.
lets take x=18 18/8 gives 2 remainder 2.

Insufficient.

S) 2 on the other hand..

X = 24p + 10

if p=0
x= 10

p=1
x = 34

10/8 gives remainder 2
34/8 gives remainder 2.

Statement 2 works, but 1 doesn't.


PierTotti17 All is good in what you wrote, except, 2/8 gives a remainder of 2, not 8. Hence 1 is sufficient as well.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
P
Status: Gathering chakra
Joined: 05 Feb 2018
Posts: 433
Premium Member
Re: M10-12  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2019, 08:12
Easy to prove sufficiency with number picking, just plug in 2, 18 for St 1) you will get remainder 2 both times when dividing by 8.
St 2) must give the same remainder... you get 2 when dividing by 8 as well, plug in 2 and 34.
This is because both 16 and 24 are multiples of 8 so they all share the same remainder when dividing X. As chetan2u mentioned the only thing is to make sure remainder/divisor is in the most reduced form.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: M10-12   [#permalink] 25 Aug 2019, 08:12
Display posts from previous: Sort by

M10-12

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, Bunuel






Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne