GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Dec 2018, 08:49

TODAY:

MIT Sloan R1 Decisions - Join MIT Chat for Live Updates | Chat with UCLA Anderson Adcom @9am PT | Chat with Yale SOM R1 Admit 10am PT

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Happy Christmas 20% Sale! Math Revolution All-In-One Products!

December 20, 2018

December 20, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

This is the most inexpensive and attractive price in the market. Get the course now!
  • Key Strategies to Master GMAT SC

December 22, 2018

December 22, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Attend this webinar to learn how to leverage Meaning and Logic to solve the most challenging Sentence Correction Questions.

M11-02

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Math Expert
V
M11-02  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2014, 23:43
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

69% (01:00) correct 31% (00:54) wrong based on 143 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

If \(X\) is a three-digit positive integer, what is the value of its tens digit?

(1) The tens digit of \((X + 8)\) is 5.

(2) The units digit of \((X + 9)\) is 7.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Math Expert
V
Re M11-02  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2014, 23:43
Official Solution:

Statement (1) by itself is insufficient. Consider 149 and 150.

Statement (2) by itself is insufficient. We only know that the units digit of \(X\) is 8.

Statements (1) and (2) combined are sufficient. The fact that the units digit of \(X\) is 8 means that the tens digit of \(X + 8\) is 1 greater than the tens digit of \(X\). Thus, the tens digit of \(X\) is 4.

Answer: C

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: IIM A '15
GMAT 1: 650 Q46 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.67
WE: Engineering (Non-Profit and Government)
Reviews Badge
Re: M11-02  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2014, 19:20
Hi Bunuel,

This question says 3 digit integer but does not say it is positive or negative.

If it was a negative number then we can have numbers such as -166 it satisfies both stmt 1&2 and if its positive your solution is correct.

I believe the answer to this question should be "E".

Please advice.

Regards,
Arun

Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

Statement (2) by itself is insufficient. We only know that the units digit of \(X\) is 8.

Statements (1) and (2) combined are sufficient. The fact that the units digit of \(X\) is 8 means that the tens digit of \(X + 8\) is 1 greater than the tens digit of \(X\). Thus, the tens digit of \(X\) is 4.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2015, 14:28
Can you explain how tens digit of X + 8 = 5, gives us two options 4 and 5. I would think it should be 6 and 7
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2015, 05:50
waqasbinjamal wrote:
Can you explain how tens digit of X + 8 = 5, gives us two options 4 and 5. I would think it should be 6 and 7

If x = 149, then x + 8 = 149 + 8 = 157 --> the tens digit is 5.
If x = 150, then x + 8 = 150 + 8 = 158 --> the tens digit is 5.

Hope it's clear.

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V31
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.6
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2015, 08:59
Bunuel wrote:
waqasbinjamal wrote:

If x = 149, then x + 8 = 149 + 8 = 157 --> the tens digit is 5.
If x = 150, then x + 8 = 150 + 8 = 158 --> the tens digit is 5.

Hope it's clear.

Hi Bunuel,

The way the question is written, one may understand that "the whole X" + 8 gives you a tens digit of 5, though one may also understand that X´s tens digit + 8 = 5.
I think that´s what "waqasbinjamal" meant.
Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2015, 06:11
Hi,

Very interesting... Means that If I know the restriction statement (No what matter it is, for instance: if it is (1) The tens digit of X+3 is 5 or (2) The units digit of X+9 is 3) for all lower digits than the one asked in the question stem, then always is going to be only an answer and then sufficient...

For instance:

If tens digits is asked in question stem, then I should know the restrictions for the lowers: Units and tens, then always will be sufficient no matter what restriction it is... I am talking about X + 1, X + 2, X +3 kind of restrictions. Same thing would happen for hundreds, If I want to know hundreds then I need to know hundreds, tens and units in restrictions in order to have a definite answer... is it true?

Is it correct?

Thanks a lot.

Luis Navarro
Looking for 700
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V31
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.6
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2015, 09:38
luisnavarro

I may be wrong, but I personally wouldn´t approach it that way. The reason is that you are trying to memorize a rule for a question that can get very tricky or twisted. I would suggest you to set the restriction on paper and start searching for what values make the statement insufficient. At least that is the approach I´ve learnt with Ron (in his videos).
For other types of questions, knowing the rule will help you (such as knowing that |x| = x^2 for X= -1, 1 or 0 only), but not for this one.

Best!
Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2015, 11:29
michaelyb wrote:
luisnavarro

I may be wrong, but I personally wouldn´t approach it that way. The reason is that you are trying to memorize a rule for a question that can get very tricky or twisted. I would suggest you to set the restriction on paper and start searching for what values make the statement insufficient. At least that is the approach I´ve learnt with Ron (in his videos).
For other types of questions, knowing the rule will help you (such as knowing that |x| = x^2 for X= -1, 1 or 0 only), but not for this one.

Best!

Yes, I agree, It is better to be careful with this kind of problems.

Thanks a lot¡¡¡
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: ISB '18, SPJ GMBA '17
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2016, 02:58
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

This looks to be an interesting Q's

Pls suggest me similar Q's
GMAT Club Bot
Re: M11-02 &nbs [#permalink] 26 Jan 2016, 02:58

M11-02

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, Bunuel

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap