GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Aug 2018, 18:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

M16-32

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Math Expert
V
M16-32  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2014, 01:00
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

47% (01:26) correct 53% (00:58) wrong based on 127 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Math Expert
V
Re M16-32  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2014, 01:00
Official Solution:

We have to find \((\frac{\frac{a}{b}}{ab})*100\% = (\frac{1}{b^2})*100\%\). To answer the question we need to know \(b^2\).

Statement (1) by itself is sufficient. From S1 it follows that \(b\) is either 6 or -2. But the stem stipulates that \(b\)is positive. Thus, \(b = 6\).

Statement (2) by itself is sufficient. From S2 it follows that \(b\) is either 6 or -3. But the stem stipulates that \(b\) is positive. Thus, \(b = 6\).

Answer: D

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: M16-32  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2014, 06:23
Good question.
I felt in trap. While solving i missed that it is given that a and b are positive.

Indeed each choice is correct

Consider +1 Kudos Please :)

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT Date: 06-26-2015
WE: Corporate Finance (Venture Capital)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2015, 06:46
IMO in Statement 2 solutions would be -6 and 3, not 6 and -3, nope ?
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2015, 10:49
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
M16-32  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2016, 01:17
I think this is a poor-quality question and the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate. What is wrong in these steps.

10% of 200 = 20, in the similar lines.

x% of ab = a/b
or (x/100) * (ab) = a/b

we have to find x here.
x/100 = 1/b^2

since b is positive, b = 10 and x = 1.
So 1 % ab = a/b.

Since we found b = 10, none of the statements s1 and s2 matches b = 10, so I choose option E as the correct answer.

I know , I cann't challenge bunuel's explanation.Please point me where I have gone wrong
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2016, 01:37
dharan wrote:
I think this is a poor-quality question and the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate. What is wrong in these steps.

x% of ab = a/b
or (x/100) * (ab) = a/b

we have to find x here.
x/100 = 1/b^2

So 1 % ab = a/b.

Since we found b = 10, none of the statements s1 and s2 matches b = 10, so I choose option E as the correct answer.

I know , I cann't challenge bunuel's explanation.Please point me where I have gone wrong

The red part is not correct. x = 1/b^2*100. How did you get from here that x=1 and b=10? We got from each of the statements that b=6, which gives the value of x. So each statement is sufficient.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2016, 02:50
Bunuel wrote:
dharan wrote:

x% of ab = a/b
or (x/100) * (ab) = a/b

we have to find x here.
x/100 = 1/b^2

So 1 % ab = a/b.

The red part is not correct. x = 1/b^2*100. How did you get from here that x=1 and b=10? We got from each of the statements that b=6, which gives the value of x. So each statement is sufficient.

Thanks for your response. Here is how I got b = 10 and x =1

x/100 = x/10^2 = 1/b^2
So if b = 10 then x = 1.
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2016, 02:53
dharan wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
dharan wrote:

x% of ab = a/b
or (x/100) * (ab) = a/b

we have to find x here.
x/100 = 1/b^2

So 1 % ab = a/b.

Thanks for your response. Here is how I got b = 10 and x =1

x/100 = x/10^2 = 1/b^2
So if b = 10 then x = 1.

IF b=10... Why 10? Why not 1 or 100, or 1/2?

We know that b is not 10, it's 6, for which you get the value of x.

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2016, 03:16
I agree, Since there are two variables x and b . we need two equations.

equation 1 : x/10^2 = 1 / b^2
equation 2 : either of the 2 statements to get b value.

The mistake I did is, from equation 1. I equated 10^2 = b^2, and found b = 10. I thought that is the only 'b' value I can get. Some where I felt that by substituting values I can find x and b values. Not sure, why I did like that. May be I was trying to utilize question stem more efficiently and ended up with wrong choice.

Appreciate your patience and detailed explanation
Retired Moderator
G
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 690 Q46 V40
GPA: 3.9
WE: Information Technology (Consumer Products)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2017, 20:13
how exactly do you solve statement 2 to get values of B ?
I am confused

My MBA Journey - https://smalldoubledouble.com

DS Forum Moderator
P
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2017, 22:54
mbsingh wrote:
how exactly do you solve statement 2 to get values of B ?
I am confused

This is factorisation of a quadratic equation.
If we are given a quadratic equation of the form: ax^2 + bx + c = 0
we need to figure out two such quantities whose sum is 'bx' and whose product is acx^2.

Lets understand with the help of given question.
We have to solve: b^2 - 3b - 18 = 0
We should think of two quantities whose sum is '-3b' and whose product is b^2*(-18) or -18b^2

These two are -6b and 3b (their sum is -3b and their product is -18b^2. Now we will re-write the given equation like this:
b^2 -6b + 3b - 18 = 0 . (notice that from first two terms, 'b' is common, and from the last two terms, '3' is common)
b(b-6) + 3(b-6) = 0 (now taking b-6 common from both)
(b-6)(b+3) = 0

So we have successfully factorised the equation. Now product of two quantities (b-6) and (b+3) equals 0 which means:
either b-6=0 which gives b=6
Or b+3=0 which gives b=-3

Thats how we get two values of b. Hope this helps.
Manager
Manager
S
M16-32  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2017, 11:44
Bunuel wrote:
If \(a\) and \(b\) are positive, \(\frac{a}{b}\) is what percent of \(ab\)?

(1) \(|b - 2| = 4\)

(2) \(b^2 - 3b - 18 = 0\)

The answer is relatively very simple. Point to remember a and b are positive. The question is asking \(a/b\)= x% of \(ab\), find x.
We can further simplify - expression \(a/b = x/100 * ab\)
----> \(100/b^2\) = x
All we have to know is b. So we can rephrase the question WHAT IS THE VALUE OF b?

1) \(|b - 2| = 4\)
b = 6 or b = -2
But since b>0, b=6 Suff

2) \(b^2 - 3b - 18 = 0\)

Solving we will get b =6 or -4
Again b>0, hence b = 6 Suff

option D winner :lol:

Sortem sternit fortem!

Retired Moderator
P
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.5

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2017, 13:30
Bunuel wrote:
If \(a\) and \(b\) are positive, \(\frac{a}{b}\) is what percent of \(ab\)?

(1) \(|b - 2| = 4\)

(2) \(b^2 - 3b - 18 = 0\)

We are looking for the value of \(\frac{1}{b^2} * 100\)

(1) \(|b - 2| = 4\)

Gives two values b = 6 & -2 as b is positive b = 6

Hence (1) =====> is SUFFICIENT

(2) [m]b^2 - 3b - 18 = 0

Gives two values b = 6 & -3 as b is positive b = 6

Hence (1) =====> is SUFFICIENT

Hence, Answer is D

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not: nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."

Best AWA Template: https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html#p470475

Manager
Manager
B
M16-32  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2017, 16:07
Bunuel,

On a totally side note, I had read it in MGMAT that in DS, the two answer choices must be fragments (missing parts) of the same problem. I think that would mean that the two options cannot contradict each other, or give different answers. In this case, option 1 gives -2 as one of the answers, and option 2 gives -3 as one of the answers. Shouldn't they be same? I mean.. if solving option 1 gives 6 and -2 as the answer, then the equation of option 2 should be formed in such a way (e.g. b^2 - 4b - 12 = 0) that we get same 6 and -2 as the answers. Is my understanding right?
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2017, 20:59
chaudhurysr wrote:
Bunuel,

On a totally side note, I had read it in MGMAT that in DS, the two answer choices must be fragments (missing parts) of the same problem. I think that would mean that the two options cannot contradict each other, or give different answers. In this case, option 1 gives -2 as one of the answers, and option 2 gives -3 as one of the answers. Shouldn't they be same? I mean.. if solving option 1 gives 6 and -2 as the answer, then the equation of option 2 should be formed in such a way (e.g. b^2 - 4b - 12 = 0) that we get same 6 and -2 as the answers. Is my understanding right?

Yes, on the GMAT, two data sufficiency statements always provide TRUE information and these statements never contradict each other. Here the statement do not contradict. (1) says that b is 6 OR -2, (2) says that b is 6 OR -3. f we take them together then we get that b is 6. No contradiction.

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2017, 22:06
Bunuel wrote:
chaudhurysr wrote:
Bunuel,

Yes, on the GMAT, two data sufficiency statements always provide TRUE information and these statements never contradict each other. Here the statement do not contradict. (1) says that b is 6 OR -2, (2) says that b is 6 OR -3. f we take them together then we get that b is 6. No contradiction.

Yes, agreed that there is no contradiction. But still the answers are different (1) 6 OR -2 vs (2) 6 or -3, Hence I was wondering if this is okay.
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2017, 22:40
chaudhurysr wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
chaudhurysr wrote:
Bunuel,

Yes, agreed that there is no contradiction. But still the answers are different (1) 6 OR -2 vs (2) 6 or -3, Hence I was wondering if this is okay.

Yes, there is nothing wrong. For example, consider the following question:

What is the value of x?

(1) x^2 = 4
(2) (x - 2)(x - 1) = 0.

From (1) x = 2 or x = -2.
From (1) x = 2 or x = 1.

(1)+(2) x can only be 2 to satisfy both statements. Sufficient.

Answer: C.

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Manager
Manager
B
M16-32  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2017, 10:22
Bunuel wrote:

Yes, there is nothing wrong. For example, consider the following question:

What is the value of x?

(1) x^2 = 4
(2) (x - 2)(x - 1) = 0.

From (1) x = 2 or x = -2.
From (1) x = 2 or x = 1.

(1)+(2) x can only be 2 to satisfy both statements. Sufficient.

Answer: C.

Okay! Thank you for clarifying!
M16-32 &nbs [#permalink] 07 Dec 2017, 10:22

M16-32

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, Bunuel

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap