Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:19 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GPA: 3.73
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q45 V47
GPA: 4
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GPA: 3.73
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Re: MAcc Admissions Weight!!! [#permalink]
RhettGMAT wrote:
UTMPA2011 wrote:
RhettGMAT wrote:
Hey Everyone,

I am new to the GMAT Club and have a few questions. I take the GMAT in less than two weeks and I am getting nervous. I have been studying through Kaplan and feel much better then I started off. Even so, every practice GMAT I have taken (five so far) has been right at a 500. I was just curious to how much the GMAT weighs when in comes to MAcc admissions. I know it is important of course, but how much does it play into admission compared to a 3.73 GPA from a AACSB accreditied university. Also with multiple leadership roles in school such as Student Body President, CEO of the student business society, Treasurer of fraternity and etc. And lastly with multiple venues of professional experience such as tax intern at local community servious group, tax intern at a regionally sized firm, and tax preparer at a logal accouting firm. How much will these factors play into MAcc admissions.

My programs of interest are: University of Georgia, University of South Carolina, Clemson University, Auburn, and Alabama.

-Thank you,

Rhett

It really depends on the school. Top programs will care more about your GMAT than lower ranked programs. I would suggest that you change your way of thinking about the GMAT. If you approach the GMAT with the intent to get into a program, you might be leaving money on the table. The GMAT is a very big consideration for scholarships. I would take the GMAT as seriously as possible. I have heard too many stories of people that only studied for a week or two. Don't be that person. If you are scoring 500 on the practice GMAT, examine what your problems areas are. What are your raw Q and V scores on the practice exams?

Well thats the thing, I have been studying off and on since June. But intensely since December. I have never in my life been a strong standardized test take. Even so, I try to compensate by busting my butt in the class room. But now that I am on the final stretch before my exam I am trying to get as much in as I can. But so far my raw Q scores seem to be from 34-42 (average probably 35) and my V scores from 20-35 (average probably 25). I am take the GMAT seriously because I know it's no joke. It a monster. But I have working hard and consistent. Opinions?

OP, get the Manhattan GMAT guides and study those concepts heavily. Those guides are absolutely the most useful I've found and took my score from a 550 to a 660 after studying maybe 50 hours total while working. I know my score isn't that great, but I could have done A LOT better if I had studied harder instead of being lazy after work and taken more practice tests (I only took ONE of the official practice tests before taking the GMAT, didn't even bother with the manhattan practice tests...'nuff said). Maybe they'll help you as well.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q45 V47
GPA: 4
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Quote:
Well thats the thing, I have been studying off and on since June. But intensely since December. I have never in my life been a strong standardized test take. Even so, I try to compensate by busting my butt in the class room. But now that I am on the final stretch before my exam I am trying to get as much in as I can. But so far my raw Q scores seem to be from 34-42 (average probably 35) and my V scores from 20-35 (average probably 25). I am take the GMAT seriously because I know it's no joke. It a monster. But I have working hard and consistent. Opinions?

Quote:
OP, get the Manhattan GMAT guides and study those concepts heavily. Those guides are absolutely the most useful I've found and took my score from a 550 to a 660 after studying maybe 50 hours total while working. I know my score isn't that great, but I could have done A LOT better if I had studied harder instead of being lazy after work and taken more practice tests (I only took ONE of the official practice tests before taking the GMAT, didn't even bother with the manhattan practice tests...'nuff said). Maybe they'll help you as well.

660 is still a good score for a MAcc program. I agree that concept building is the best strategy. I would look at your practice tests for common themes. Is there a particular type of question that you find difficult? Are there parallels in logic, reading comprehensive, etc. that you are not seeing? I would troubleshoot your problems. Attack your weakest points first, then sharpen your skills. I used the official GMAT study guide to prepare for the GMAT. I took 10 problems from each type of question and timed it. I then scored my work to see whether I was Strong/Average/Weak on that type of question. You might be able to better assess your weak points by doing this. Once you have identified problem areas, read the pointers and concepts for the type of question. Look for keys and strategies that will make sense to you. For example, sentence completion can often boil down to subject/verb agreement or tense. Try reading the options out loud. Does it sound correct to you? I would say that the quant section is probably the most challenging to learn. The questions typically require you to use several concepts at once and there are many approaches that can be used to answer the question. The key when you take the GMAT is timing. Don't allow yourself to spend too much time on one question. Give yourself a threshold time period when you will guess and move on. If you can eliminate answers before guessing, do it. There seems to be more variance in your verbal score. I would determine the cause for this. Good luck to you on test day!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts