It is currently 24 Nov 2017, 01:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Manhattan SC: Usage of will and would

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 10 [1], given: 255

Concentration: Economics, International Business
Schools: ISB '19, Fox"19
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GPA: 3
Manhattan SC: Usage of will and would [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2017, 09:35
This post received
KUDOS
The usual sequences are EITHER Present + Future OR Past +
Conditional.
Right: The scientist BELIEVES that the machine WILL BE wonderful.
Present Future
Right: The scientist BELIEVED that the machine WOULD BE wonderful.
Past Conditional
Wrong: The scientist BELIEVES that the machine WOULD BE wonderful.
Present Conditional
Wrong: The scientist BELIEVED that the machine WILL BE wonderful.
Past Future

Source :Manhattan SC

Doubt:
1. Noting that the price of oil and other fuel components, a major factor in the cost structure of an airline,
have risen and will continue to rise, the company management was pessimistic about their outlook for the
upcoming quarter.
• have risen and will continue to rise, the company management was pessimistic about their
• have risen and will continue to rise, the company management was pessimistic about the
• will continue to rise, the company management was pessimistic about the
• has risen and will continue to rise, the company management was pessimistic about their
• will continue to rise, the company management was pessimistic about their
Now in above question what I can see is that the correct answer is C, but the entire statement is addressed in past tense so usage of 'would' is justified in this case if we go by Manhattan SC .
Correct me if my understanding is wrong

Kudos [?]: 10 [1], given: 255

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Manhattan Prep Instructor
S

Kudos [?]: 258 [1], given: 61

GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: Manhattan SC: Usage of will and would [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2017, 13:26
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
You're correct. "Would" is okay in this sentence. I'm not certain whether 'will' is also okay.

I suspect that 'will' is good, though, because you can read the sentence as if it's reporting what the management originally said. When the management made their claim, the words they would have used were "The price will continue to rise!". That's because they were talking about the future. In this sentence, we could say that we're just repeating the management's claim directly, using the same verb.

For instance, this seems fine to me (although again, I'm not 100% certain whether it's GMAT accurate):

'In his award-winning article, the scientist wrote that machines will one day take over the Earth.'

That seems okay, because the scientist would have used the word 'will' in his article, because he was talking about the future. If that's right, it would mean that 'will' is okay as long as we're describing something that a person said. In your 'scientist believed' example, 'will' would be wrong, because the scientist didn't say or write anything.

I'd be interested to hear other opinions on this, though.

Chelsey Cooley | Manhattan Prep Instructor | Seattle and Online

My upcoming GMAT trial classes | GMAT blog archive

Kudos [?]: 258 [1], given: 61

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 97

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V35
WE: Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Reviews Badge
Re: Manhattan SC: Usage of will and would [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2017, 10:43
ccooley wrote:
You're correct. "Would" is okay in this sentence. I'm not certain whether 'will' is also okay.

I suspect that 'will' is good, though, because you can read the sentence as if it's reporting what the management originally said. When the management made their claim, the words they would have used were "The price will continue to rise!". That's because they were talking about the future. In this sentence, we could say that we're just repeating the management's claim directly, using the same verb.

For instance, this seems fine to me (although again, I'm not 100% certain whether it's GMAT accurate):

'In his award-winning article, the scientist wrote that machines will one day take over the Earth.'

That seems okay, because the scientist would have used the word 'will' in his article, because he was talking about the future. If that's right, it would mean that 'will' is okay as long as we're describing something that a person said. In your 'scientist believed' example, 'will' would be wrong, because the scientist didn't say or write anything.

I'd be interested to hear other opinions on this, though.

Excellent point of view, I had been confused about contradictory usage of would and will in certain guide books, this has definitely given some clarity.
Thankyou.

GMAT chronicles : 670-->660--> 700--> 650--> 680-->660--> 610-->700 (main exam)-->710--740-->700 (main exam again) -->Target 740+

Never never never never NEVER give up!!

I can and I will- watch me.

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 97

Re: Manhattan SC: Usage of will and would   [#permalink] 13 Apr 2017, 10:43

Manhattan SC: Usage of will and would

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap