It is currently 23 Sep 2017, 15:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Many companies now have employee assistance programs that

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

Many companies now have employee assistance programs that [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2008, 07:29
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

88% (00:43) correct 12% (00:39) wrong based on 212 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Many companies now have employee assistance programs that enable employees, free of charge, to improve their physical fitness, reduce stress, and learn ways to stop smoking. These programs increase worker productivity, reduce absenteeism, and lessen insurance costs for employee health care. Therefore, these programs benefit the company as well as the employee.

Which of the following, if true, most significantly strengthens the conclusion above?

(A) Physical fitness programs are often the most popular services offered to employees.
(B) Studies have shown that training in stress management is not effective for many people.
(C) Regular exercise reduces people’s risk of heart disease and provides them with increased energy.
(D) Physical injuries sometimes result from entering a strenuous physical fitness program too quickly.
(E) Employee assistance programs require companies to hire people to supervise the various programs offered.

I got A and C left among other choices. But C is quite normal choice, at least in my opinion. NOrmally right but I couldn't find any remark on "regular exercise" from the question statement. Rather, in A, if the program is the most popular ones for employees, then, the conclusion ("therefore, these programs benefit the company as well as the employee") should be strengthened. How do you guys think???
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Richardson on 21 Sep 2008, 16:16, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 1

Re: CR - Employee Assistance Program. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2008, 07:49
Richardson wrote:
Not clear...

Many companies now have employee assistance programs that enable employees, free of charge, to improve their physical fitness, reduce stress, and learn ways to stop smoking. These programs increase worker productivity, reduce absenteeism, and lessen insurance costs for employee health care. Therefore, these programs benefit the company as well as the employee.

Which of the following, if true, most significantly strengthens the conclusion above?

(A) Physical fitness programs are often the most popular services offered to employees.
(B) Studies have shown that training in stress management is not effective for many people.
(C) Regular exercise reduces people’s risk of heart disease and provides them with increased energy.
(D) Physical injuries sometimes result from entering a strenuous physical fitness program too quickly.
(E) Employee assistance programs require companies to hire people to supervise the various programs offered.

IMO C)

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 1

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [1], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2008, 08:39
This post received
KUDOS
Richardson wrote:
Not clear...

"B" and "D" weaken the arconclusion
"A" and "E" does not tell anything about the conclusion
"C" is the answer IMO

Nik...
Score Big
time is Less WORK is more

Kudos [?]: 8 [1], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2008, 11:04
But how does C benefits the company as the conclusion says.

Is the OA A?

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 0

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 392 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2008, 17:34
Richardson wrote:
Not clear...

(B) Studies have shown that training in stress management is not effective for many people.-> WEAKENS
(D) Physical injuries sometimes result from entering a strenuous physical fitness program too quickly. -> OOS
(E) Employee assistance programs require companies to hire people to supervise the various programs offered. ->WEAKENS

I got A and C left among other choices. But C is quite normal choice, at least in my opinion. NOrmally right but I couldn't find any remark on "regular exercise" from the question statement. Rather, in A, if the program is the most popular ones for employees, then, the conclusion ("therefore, these programs benefit the company as well as the employee") should be strengthened. How do you guys think???

IMO C
Strengthen means proicide support to premise or assumption to reach the concl :
A->physical fitness service being often offered does not strengthen that they are helpful to employee and employer !!!No comments about increased productivity and reduced absenteesm etc!!Just saying this service is a big hit or often used does not explain why its good Eliminate

C is just better in the given scenario !!!it just strengthens the premise that physical health of emloyees is improved by regular exercise !!!But yes no where in the argument regular exercise is mentioned !!But among given FIVE optins this is the best

HTH

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Kudos [?]: 392 [0], given: 0

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2008, 17:41
C

This choice provides two advantages:
1. Improves employees health and thereby provides increased energy to perform job and other activity

2. Also, helps the companies to reduce the insurance costs

I hope this helps!

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 137 [0], given: 4

Many companies now have employee assistance programs that [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2011, 17:55
This post was
BOOKMARKED

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 327 [0], given: 6

Re: Employee assistance programs [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2011, 23:25
Only option C talks about the positives of the program. Hence the answer.

Kudos [?]: 327 [0], given: 6

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 6

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2011, 19:48
C

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2011, 22:46
But the stimulus does not mention anything about regular exercise...This is an additional assumption we will have to make. So, I chose A

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 212 [1], given: 13

Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: HBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2011, 23:25
This post received
KUDOS
C, not a perfect answer,is the better of the other worst options.
A talks of popularity of the program. We have to strengthen the conclusion that the program is beneficial for both employees and the company. Even if you assume that the program being popular means it is beneficial to the employees, there is no mention here of how the popularity of the program makes it beneificial to the employer. Hence eliminated.

B and C actually highlight the negatives of the program- one says the program is not effective, and the second says that it may lead to physical injuried. both deny/negate/dilute the benefots to both employees and employers. Hence straight eliminater.

E is actually unrelated. Hiring more people - is it beneficial to employer or employees? we dont know- no direct correlation. Thue eliminated

C says that regular exercise decreases risk of heart attack- beneficial to employees- and increases energy- can be assumed that this extra energy is used at work and leads to better results- thus beneficial to employer. As for regularity of exercise, nowhere does the question statement talks of programs beig regular or not, it just says that programs help improve fitness etc. So we need not go into how the program does it.

Therefore, I think C with the minor assumption (extra energy = extra work) is the best option we can take out of the available ones.

Kudos [?]: 212 [1], given: 13

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2011, 23:26
The stimulus talks about the benefits of employee assistance program which includes increase worker productivity, reduce absenteeism, and lessen insurance costs for employee health care and concludes stating that this is beneficial for both the company and the employees.

Keeping this mind, if you look at the options,

Option A is very generic and it simply informs that Physical fitness programs are popular services given to employees. This option does not talk about the program relating to the benefits which is the conclusion of the stimulus.

If you take option C, it talks about the health benefits which in turn is good for the employee and the company. If the employee is healthy (read it as reduction in risk of heart attack), then it helps in increase worker productivity, reduce absenteeism, and lessen insurance costs for employee health care. Hence the conclusion.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 181 [0], given: 8

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2011, 01:10
vivesomnium wrote:
C, not a perfect answer,is the better of the other worst options.
A talks of popularity of the program. We have to strengthen the conclusion that the program is beneficial for both employees and the company. Even if you assume that the program being popular means it is beneficial to the employees, there is no mention here of how the popularity of the program makes it beneificial to the employer. Hence eliminated.

B and C actually highlight the negatives of the program- one says the program is not effective, and the second says that it may lead to physical injuried. both deny/negate/dilute the benefots to both employees and employers. Hence straight eliminater.

E is actually unrelated. Hiring more people - is it beneficial to employer or employees? we dont know- no direct correlation. Thue eliminated

C says that regular exercise decreases risk of heart attack- beneficial to employees- and increases energy- can be assumed that this extra energy is used at work and leads to better results- thus beneficial to employer. As for regularity of exercise, nowhere does the question statement talks of programs beig regular or not, it just says that programs help improve fitness etc. So we need not go into how the program does it.

Therefore, I think C with the minor assumption (extra energy = extra work) is the best option we can take out of the available ones.

Good Post vivesomnium ,Kudos to u

Kudos [?]: 181 [0], given: 8

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 246 [0], given: 56

Re: Not clear... Many companies now have employee assistance [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2012, 02:46
I found nice discussion on this topic here
many-companies-now-have-employee-assistance-programs-that-111240.html

If you found my contribution helpful, please click the +1 Kudos button on the left, I kinda need some =)

Kudos [?]: 246 [0], given: 56

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 369 [0], given: 51

Schools: Booth,NUS,St.Gallon
Re: Not clear... Many companies now have employee assistance [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2012, 13:45
I feel A is the answer.
The word regular is misleading.There is no mention that exercise must be done regularly.And also there is no mention that heart disease is the only reason for the employees to absent themselves.
Also A is the answer because the option tells that physical exercise is a popular option among employees and hence people are willing it take up the program .

+1 if you like my explanation .Thanks :)

Kudos [?]: 369 [0], given: 51

Manager
Manager
Status: exam is close ... dont know if i ll hit that number

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 1

Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 10-09-2012
GPA: 3.2
Re: Many companies now have employee assistance programs that [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2012, 21:02
in the weakening questions we can include the information from out of scope inorder to
support or rather to strengthen the conclusion
so i dont think you should be tentative to receive any new information in the answer choice

just one more month for exam...

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 1

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 175 [0], given: 291

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2013, 06:04
How can A be the answer. It is only talking about an action and not it's effect. It is possible that although it might be a popular service offered to the employees, it might actually be costing the company more and hence not "actually beneficial" to the company.

Kudos [?]: 175 [0], given: 291

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 6

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2013, 06:56
Conclusion: these programs benefit the company as well as the employee.
Premise 1: Employees quit smoking, getting physical and mental benefits.
Premise 2: Good health of employees leading to less insurance cost.

(A) Premise and conclusion do not talk about the popularity of the program.
(B) weaken the argument.
(C) Regular exercise reduces people’s risk of heart disease(this is benefiting the employees) and provides them with increased energy(increased energy leads to good productivity leads to benefit for company).
(D) out of scope.
(E) yes true but company has already did that.

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 6

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 255 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2015, 07:15
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 255 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 43

Schools: Ryerson
GMAT 1: 560 Q44 V25

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2015, 00:04
The conclusion is that the programs benefit both companies and employees. For companies, reducing employees’ risk of heart disease is likely to reduce insurance costs, and increasing employee energy is likely to increase worker productivity. For employees, the benefits of having a reduced risk of heart disease and of having increased energy are self-evident. Choice C is the best answer.
Knowing which programs are popular does not bear on what benefits the programs confer, so choice A is incorrect. B and D indicate ways in which the programs can fail to provide the intended results, so neither of these is the correct answer. Having to hire additional personnel does not benefit a company, so choice E is not correct.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 43

Re: Many companies now have employee assistance programs that   [#permalink] 07 Dec 2015, 00:04

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 23 posts ]