GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Sep 2019, 13:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Many people are alarmed about the population explosion

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Simon '16 (M$)
Many people are alarmed about the population explosion  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 24 Nov 2013, 18:55
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

78% (02:16) correct 22% (02:14) wrong based on 281 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Many people are alarmed about the population explosion. They fail to appreciate that the present rise in population has in fact been followed by equally potent economic growth. Because of this connection between an increase in population and an increase in economic activity, population control measures should not be taken.
The questionable pattern of reasoning in the argument above is most similar to that in which one of the following?

(A) Subscribers to news magazines are concerned that increased postage costs will be passed on to them in the form of higher subscription rates. But that is a price they have to pay for having the magazines delivered. No group of users of the postal system should be subsidized at the expense of others.

(B) Most of the salespeople are concerned with complaints about the sales manager’s aggressive behavior. They need to consider that sales are currently increasing. Due to this success, no action should be taken to address the manager’s behavior.

(C) Parents are concerned about their children spending too much time watching television. Those parents should consider television time as time they could spend with their children. Let the children watch television, but watch it with them.

(D) Nutritionists warn people not to eat unhealthy foods. Those foods have been in people’s diets for years. Before cutting all those foods out of diets it would be wise to remember that people enjoy culinary variety.

(E) Some consumers become concerned when the price of a product increases for several years in a row, thinking that the price will continue to increase. But these consumers are mistaken since a long-term trend of price increases indicates that the price will probably decline in the future

Will be interesting to see timing on this one. So do post timing if possible.

Originally posted by jamifahad on 31 Aug 2011, 07:14.
Last edited by dentobizz on 24 Nov 2013, 18:55, edited 1 time in total.
edited the Title
Intern
Intern
Re: Population Explosion  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2011, 07:35
01:55

I hate this type of question but this one was quite easy actually
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2011, 07:41
I got B. may be about 2:15. But this is more of a LSAT question. hardly see this type in gmat books.

the argument is saying a phenomenon is not a problem right now, so it will never be a problem even in future.

a)does not follows the same structure.

b) looks same flawed structure - sales currently increasing, and argument assumes it will always be increasing.

c)watch tv with them makes the argument turn in different direction.

d)different structure all together.

e) 'probably' is a word which makes this argument different from first one.
Retired Moderator

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2011, 08:01
jamifahad wrote:
Will be interesting to see timing on this one. So do post timing if possible.

Many people are alarmed about the population explosion. They fail to appreciate that the present rise in population has in fact been followed by equally potent economic growth. Because of this connection between an increase in population and an increase in economic activity, population control measures should not be taken.

The questionable pattern of reasoning in the argument above is most similar to that in which one of the following?

(A) Subscribers to news magazines are concerned that increased postage costs will be passed on to them in the form of higher subscription rates. But that is a price they have to pay for having the magazines delivered. No group of users of the postal system should be subsidized at the expense of others.
(B) Most of the salespeople are concerned with complaints about the sales manager’s aggressive behavior. They need to consider that sales are currently increasing. Due to this success, no action should be taken to address the manager’s behavior.
(C) Parents are concerned about their children spending too much time watching television. Those parents should consider television time as time they could spend with their children. Let the children watch television, but watch it with them.
(D) Nutritionists warn people not to eat unhealthy foods. Those foods have been in people’s diets for years. Before cutting all those foods out of diets it would be wise to remember that people enjoy culinary variety.
(E) Some consumers become concerned when the price of a product increases for several years in a row, thinking that the price will continue to increase. But these consumers are mistaken since a long-term trend of price increases indicates that the price will probably decline in the future.

2:54. Correct.

Most of my time spent on understanding and ruling out any possible contender. Because parallel reasoning is usually considered 750+ level question and appears less frequently on GMAT, I'd have selected "B" by just giving a cursory look to the others and saved some time doing so.

Reasoning:
Just because a known problem is not accompanied by its feared adverse effects but rather surprisingly accompanied by positive effects, one should be least bothered about addressing the problem.

Ans: "B"

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2011, 08:04
To be honest, i spent 3+ minutes just reading and understanding question and answer choices. And next 1 minute to figure out answer.
4+ minutes. :-(

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2011, 08:35
jamifahad wrote:
To be honest, i spent 3+ minutes just reading and understanding question and answer choices. And next 1 minute to figure out answer.
4+ minutes. :-(

Not a big reason to worry I feel, at least for this type and that too from LSAT. If a question like this will appear on the real test, you will have done phenomenal in your previous problems. This is my opinion: GMAT CR's are mostly about Strengthen, Weaken, Assumption, followed by Must be true, Resolve the paradox, Method of reasoning(Bold face) and only at the end comes flaw in the reasoning and parallel reasoning types.

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2011, 12:16
Chop time on this one by focusing on parallel conclusions.

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2011, 15:22
Got to work on timing issue with CR!!
Thanks.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2011, 17:45
B, 2:54!

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Manager
Manager
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Will be interesting to see timing on this one. So do post  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2012, 04:27
B in 1:43

Manager
Manager
Schools: Booth,NUS,St.Gallon

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2012, 21:56
+1 for B. did it in 2:25 mins .Actually the entire question is lengthy to read which consumed most of the time.But it is not extremely tough to decipher it !!
B
Affiliations: National Institute of Technology, Durgapur
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 25 Nov 2013, 05:22

Originally posted by WaterFlowsUp on 21 Nov 2013, 12:15.
Last edited by dentobizz on 25 Nov 2013, 05:22, edited 1 time in total.
adding article links
Current Student
G
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3
WE: Project Management (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Many people are alarmed about the population explosion  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2015, 11:13
Ans is B which reflects the original meaning..
Time taken: 1:34.. :-D
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V32
GPA: 4
Re: Many people are alarmed about the population explosion  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2015, 17:02
51 seconds. Was an easy pick. however, such questions are hardly tested in GMAT. More of an LSAT question this.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 550 Q44 V22
  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2017, 07:06
Answer B. Took 2 mins 42 secs. I had to re-read the options couple of times. Need to avoid that.

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 550 Q44 V22
Many people are alarmed about the population explosion  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2017, 07:06
Answer B. Took 2 mins 42 secs. I had to re-read the options couple of times. Need to avoid that.
GMAT Club Bot
Many people are alarmed about the population explosion   [#permalink] 07 Jun 2017, 07:06

Many people are alarmed about the population explosion

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics