It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 02:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Matching time periods:

post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Expert Post
GMAT Tutor
B

Kudos [?]: 1954 [0], given: 6

Re: Matching time periods: [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2009, 19:37
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

This topic is locked. If you want to discuss this question please re-post it in the respective forum.

typhoidX wrote:
I took the following question (fairly easy) from this webpage:
http://gmatscore.com/mathQuestionOfDayA ... dayback=23

The official answer given by the webside is "C". However, I disagree, and now I'm wondering how good this website really is... or maybe I'm just dumb... :roll: Either way, this has got to be on the very bottom of the difficulty level. In anycase, has anyone used gmatscore.com's services? How does it compare to others? Enough rambling, here is the question:

Commissioner R wants to schedule a 2-hour meeting on Friday for herself and three other commissioners, S, T, and U. Is there a 2-hour period on Friday that is open for all four commissioners?
1. On Friday, commissioners R and S have an open period from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
2. On Friday, commissioner T has an open period from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. and commissioner U has an open period from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.

The answer should be E here. Using both statements, there's no time at which we can be certain they can meet, but why is it impossible that they all meet from 4pm to 6pm? Who knows whether they're free later in the afternoon - it's certainly possible that each commissioner has more than one open period during the day. There's nothing in the question that even rules out a meeting at three in the morning, or ten at night. So I can't see how they could arrive at C here. In any case, it isn't a well-designed question.

GMAT Tutor in Toronto

If you are looking for online GMAT math tutoring, or if you are interested in buying my advanced Quant books and problem sets, please contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2009, 20:08
I might be missing something, but for me it is a clear C.
There is no 2-hour window during which they all can meet, because T imposes a limit on U, so that U can have only a 1 hour window, from 11:00 to 12:00.

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2009, 08:25
peraspera wrote:
I might be missing something, but for me it is a clear C.
There is no 2-hour window during which they all can meet, because T imposes a limit on U, so that U can have only a 1 hour window, from 11:00 to 12:00.

Sorry, made a typo for the answer choice - I meant to say it's a clear B.
I stand by my reasoning above.

Expert Post
GMAT Tutor
B

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2009, 13:31
typhoidX wrote:
I was under the impression that on the GMAT, we are usually not supposed to assume information outside the parameters of the given problem. The problem states that if a commissioner is free from 10am-2pm, aren't we supposed to take it as for granted that this is the ONLY time he/she is free?

You certainly can't assume any information that's not provided in the question in GMAT DS. I don't see how I've done that, however. If I tell you 'I'm free between 10am and 2pm today', that doesn't mean 'I'm *only* free between 10am and 2pm today'. If the question designer intends to convey, in each statement, that the Commissioners are only free at the times given, the question needs to make that clear, and now it doesn't. If that's the intended meaning, then the answer is clearly B, of course.

Real GMAT questions are never open to interpretation, which is why I said above that the question was not well-designed. As I read it, my interpretation is perfectly logical, but it makes the question completely uninteresting, and I'm certain the question designer intended a different interpretation. Of course, that the designer thinks the answer is C makes me wonder if the question designer intended a third interpretation that none of us has discovered yet, but the purpose of GMAT questions is not to test whether we can guess the intentions of the question maker - the correct interpretation is always clear from the wording of the question.

GMAT Tutor in Toronto

If you are looking for online GMAT math tutoring, or if you are interested in buying my advanced Quant books and problem sets, please contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

Re: Matching time periods:   [#permalink] 24 Apr 2009, 13:31

Matching time periods:

post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap