It is currently 20 Oct 2017, 20:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MBA in the New Economy

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

MBA in the New Economy [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2008, 13:46
Wanted to check the views and perspectives of the members on the following topic:

We see a drastically changing economy where huge salaries and bonuses may be the things of the past. The credit crisis has made education loans tougher to get and evenif we get those loans we will probably need matching collaterals or tight repayment conditions. The grants and scholarships may also become a challenging proposition in this bad economy. Considering all these factors demand for costly MBA and higher education should decrease(making it easier to enter good B-schools) and following the demand-supply curve the cost of higher education should also decrease.

At the same time lot of people are loosing jobs and may try to use this time in higher education. In that case we may see higher competetion for getting into a B-school.

Now my queries are as follows:

1. Is it a good idea to enter a B-school in an uncertain time like this?
2. Do we forsee any chance of lower cost of higher education in US or abroad(Europe/Asia)?
3. If the cost remains same does it still make sense to do an MBA?
4. Do you think the competetion will increase or decrease?
5. I have a valid GMAT score(not very good score although). Does it make sense to wait for next year or try this year itself.

I may have missed many other perspectives on this issue. Great people can bring all these points to the table.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Schools: Wharton, Chicago
Re: MBA in the New Economy [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2008, 14:13
1. It depends on what uncertainty you are facing with the prospect of not doing an MBA (and on a myriad of other factors),
2. Unfortunately, probably not. Without any evidence to back this up (too lazy) tuition seems to continue to increase at a rate higher than inflation. I remember when I thought my older brothers were saddled with a lot of debt when they incurred $25k per year at top law schools several years ago. Times have changed, already,
3. See #1,
4. Increase. Increase in applicants is not offset by increase in class sizes. Better applicants trickle down to relatively lower tier schools. It's funny because I'll bet a decent proportion of the alumni base at some of these top schools wouldn't be able to gain admittance based on today's standards,
5. See #1.

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Schools: Rady School of Management at UC San Diego GO TRITONS

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2008, 20:18
mydebanjali, I've asked myself similar questions, and I think answering them involves taking a step away from the situation and thinking about it long-term. I see two salient considerations:

1) The economy can't remain bad indefinitely. The skills, connections, etc. you get from an MBA program will still be valuable 5, 10, 15 years from now. Did people who got their MBA in 2001 make a bad choice? I don't think so, even though they might have been asking similar questions at the time - especially those in IT.

2) We know for a fact that application volume is up while class sizes remain the same at top schools. Hence, competition is up. So ostensibly, the MBAs from those schools are a better, more select group than they have ever been. Ever. So if you were a big financial company, wouldn't you still want to hire those people? Hiring freezes won't last forever.

Maybe I'm an optimist, but IMO, right now seems like a good time to get an MBA!

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2008, 07:26
This post received
KUDOS
How about MBA Financing in the new economy?

I heard that student loans are getting challenging and grants are getting dried up.

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 0

Re: MBA in the New Economy   [#permalink] 27 Dec 2008, 07:26

MBA in the New Economy

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: OasisGC, aeropower, bb10

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap