Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 12:46 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 12:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hjort wrote:
My main concern is whether this is a guanteed position or a vague promise that something will develop if you stay at your current employer.

Do you think you would like to remain in your current industry in the long run? If so, does this affect your appraisal of the possibility of overspecialization?

Could you still apply to a few Ultra Elite/Elite schools as a safety measure?

Hjort

This is basically the same thing I thought. Maybe I'm just cynical because I've had this happen to me more than once - promises of manager positions that never came true ("As soon as he retires you can have it" - never mind that that's five years away) or positions of certain responsibility that changed because projects got canned or priorities shifted...

I'd be weary of any promises - even if you trust this individual - there's just so much that can happen to totally screw this up for you. Economy moves against you, shift in company priorities from management, a restructuring, a change in the market, whatever...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
My sister went through the same thing and stayed at work - got a nice increase and the promise of a promotion. 3 months after application season they told her she would have to wait 2 years to get the position they had in mind. So she is submitting this year. Bottom line is if you want an MBA to better yourself then go for it, if you are looking to leave work and the MBA is your only outlet then it might make sense to stick it out and see if the promotion is real. But if the MBA is in your grand plans for the future - by all means, dont let work get in the way.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
This is interesting.
One of my recommender just told me that there is an opening oposition in sales. My yearly income would jump 40% overnight with the new position.
The recommender asked me whether I can take this position and apply for a part time MBA program. This sales job is a supporting role for my recommender who is a senior account exe.
I thought about this "curve ball" for one day... yeah, just one day!

After serious consideration, I decided to decline the offer.
1. Through writing the essays, I really discovered what I really want to do in a long-term basis.
2. Money is not everything.
3. When I become 50yrs old, I will probably regret for not having gone through a full time MBA.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
died4me wrote:
This is interesting.
One of my recommender just told me that there is an opening oposition in sales. My yearly income would jump 40% overnight with the new position.
The recommender asked me whether I can take this position and apply for a part time MBA program. This sales job is a supporting role for my recommender who is a senior account exe.

1. Through writing the essays, I really discovered what I really want to do in a long-term basis.
3. When I become 50yrs old, I will probably regret for not having gone through a full time MBA.

You are a better man than me. I would have taken the job, and still applied full time.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
died4me wrote:
This is interesting.

Not even 50... you'll probably regret it when you're 35-40.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
Thanks for the feedback [#permalink]
Thanks to all for the feedback.

Homefry: UE = Ultra Elite, E = Elite.
Hjort: I've already applied to 2 of Ultra Elites for 1st round and will apply to 4 or 5 more U/E & Es in 2nd round.

My options would be to go full time now (I'm 30 and not getting any younger) or continue working for 3 or 4 more years and then get sponsored for Exec MBA (my employer rarely sponsors full time 2 year, but usually sponsors 1 year Exec programs).

My options are:

A) If I accept the position.
1) Confirm my intention to take the position if offered.
2) Get admitted at UE or E program.
3) I will have to decline admission or break my promise. Is postponing admission an option? I don't think so from what I've read or heard.

B) If I do not accept the position.
1) Apply to programs.
2) Hopefully get accepted by at least one.
3) Quit job.

I'll probably go with B) since I feel I've got a reasonable chance of admission and would probably accept an offer regardless of any job offers.

Again, thanks to all for your help.

Cheers. L.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Such things often happen when key employees resigns (for whatever reasons). Especially if the employee is a high-calibre type, like those going for MBA.

"Oh, the top mgt was just discussing the other day how we should groom you for a high-level position. It will be good for you to stay for a few more years...."

"You know what? I was about to tell you that we are creating a new position just for you..."

"Joe, let me be honest with you. I have just proposed to Bossy Boss for a 50% increase in your pay AND annual leave."

It is costly when employees (esp key ones) leave. So companies will try to buy them back. It is tempting to stay, but for most cases, it is better to move on.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
rhyme wrote:
died4me wrote:
This is interesting.

You are a better man than me. I would have taken the job, and still applied full time.

Me too rhyme
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]