Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:06 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Concentration: General Management
Schools:Virginia, Duke, Emory, UNC, Georgetown
 Q48  V40
GPA: 3.4
WE 1: Systems Engineering
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [0]
Given Kudos: 249
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GRE 1: Q170 V166
GPA: 3.22
WE:Management Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Re: MBA straight from undergrad. How much will senior grades cou [#permalink]
fstep: I don't believe they would retract an admissions offer. One, you might have a legal case if you declined admission elsewhere to accept their offer, and two, they know your degree is unfinished and are accepting the risk of a lower GPA by the time you matriculate.

pf884: Your story seems like a plus to me.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
method wrote:
fstep: I don't believe they would retract an admissions offer. One, you might have a legal case if you declined admission elsewhere to accept their offer, and two, they know your degree is unfinished and are accepting the risk of a lower GPA by the time you matriculate.

pf884: Your story seems like a plus to me.

i know they won't retract the admission offer unless i flunk the classes which i won't, my gpa should be lower maybe a very low 3.0 but not that bad. my question was if i request my school to send the transcripts now will the grad school request an updated transcript with this semester's grades before making their decision?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Just wondering, how can you have sufficient work experience if you are coming straight out of undergrad? Did you work full-time before/during school? Do you have your own business?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
pf884 wrote:
I'd like an answer as well, and some advice on whether my situation will help or hurt me in admissions.

I left college at 20 and started working professionally (everyone else in my position in the company has a degree, it's systems engineering type work). I went back to college at 24 and am now finishing up at 26. I have a 3.9 GPA since I returned and have continued working in my career, so that should show them my success. I won't graduate until May, though, so I just sent the transcripts that I do have. I used my non-traditional career and college path as a major focus of my essays. I told the story of my growth and new appreciation of the learning environment and how I'm driven to continue my education. I'm just hoping they don't look at me leaving college originally and ding me for it.

pf884, I did not go to college right after school. I spent a few years working, then a couple years at community college, then finally finished up a couple months ago. There are also some breaks in schooling over that period (and some poor grades). My last year's GPA was very strong, so I assume that is helping my application.

I haven't received any admits yet obviously (just sent most of them in during the last month), but I did receive an interview invite from HBS (a good sign that my profile is at least competitive). That being said, some schools will not like your path (or mine). Cambridge would not accept an application from me after I inquired on the necessity of "post-graduate" work experience. Kellogg, in comparison, said to make sure that I specify my unique path. It sounds like you've done that already.

It seems to me that an unusual application can both help and hurt you, depending on the school's opinion. I would not make it something you lose sleep over, though; it's out of your control and is part of who you are. If you have a good story and show potential, that may be all you need.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
marsilni wrote:
Just wondering, how can you have sufficient work experience if you are coming straight out of undergrad? Did you work full-time before/during school? Do you have your own business?

You can go to school at night while working full-time.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
Some schools will give conditional offers requiring a certain GPA, its usually low though.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
marsilni wrote:

i have a business, i left school before my junior year and came back to finish 9 years later while working full time
GMAT Club Bot