It is currently 15 Dec 2017, 21:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MBA vs MMM

new topic post reply Update application status  

MBA vs MMM

• 16% [1]
  • 83% [5]
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GRE 1: 339 Q169 V170
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
MBA vs MMM [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2017, 12:03
1) Basic demographic info: 29, Male, India

2) Educational Background: B.E (8.5/10 - India), M.S (Engineering - 3.7/4.0 - Top 20 School in US)

3) GRE: 339/340 (V: 170, Q: 169)

4) Work experience: Staff Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA. 4 promotions in 4.5 years.
Work in the Software R & D division of a leading technology company with a focus on Data Analytics, Machine Learning, Cybersecurity.

5) Extracurriculars: Involved in community service for the last 18 years but with "registered" organizations working in Education only for the last 4 years (functionary role).

6) Short/Long term goals: Strategy/Analytics/Business Development/Product Development in Tech

7) Recommendations - 2 good recommendations from engineering managers (direct supervisors)

Pros for MMM:
I really like the curriculum and I will get additional design innovation expertise (useful since I want to be in tech)
Since I am from the most overrepresented applicant pool (Male, Indian, Engineer), there might be an advantage here as MMM adcom might be willing to include more people with tech backgrounds.
Less people apply because of cost as well as awareness

Cons for MMM:
Only 60 seats. Less flexibility for the adcom to squeeze in strong candidates.

Pros for MBA:
The "data analytics" pathway closely meets my career goals with a focus on strategy, data, analytics.
A much bigger class leading to more flexibility for the adcom to take in strong candidates.
More flexibility in choosing courses.

Cons for MBA:
Required to publish class statistics by industry and typically do not take in more than 10% from technology.
Much more people apply to the MBA program.

I believe I am a strong candidate for both the programs and both of them meet my needs but I am concerned about how my candidacy will play out within an over represented applicant pool.
Cost of the program is not an issue for me. Look forward to some suggestions from people who are familiar with Kellogg MMM/MBA.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Expert Post
Director
Director
G
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach

Kudos [?]: 207 [0], given: 77

Farrell D Hehn: MBA
Re: MBA vs MMM [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2017, 12:52
Keep in mind here that the MMM includes an MBA. Joint degree options are generally a backdoor to a top MBA.... yes less seats however a bit less demand as you mentioned. The key here is to demonstrating a close fit between what the MMM offers and what you need in your career trajectory. This is true for all ethnicity groups and both programs here but I hope that you can really bring it in terms of what unique contribution you can make, what type of diversity you can offer even if it isn't necessarily ethnic diversity. And think through how that would enhance the learning experience for all of your colleagues.

MBA Prep Coach

Farrell Dyan
http://MBAPrepCoach.com
http://PoetsandQuants.com/Consultants/Farrell-Dyan
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

Kudos [?]: 207 [0], given: 77

Expert Post
Stratus Admissions Consultant
G

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 42

Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Reviews Badge
Re: MBA vs MMM [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2017, 12:09
knowledgeforaction wrote:
1) Basic demographic info: 29, Male, India

2) Educational Background: B.E (8.5/10 - India), M.S (Engineering - 3.7/4.0 - Top 20 School in US)

3) GRE: 339/340 (V: 170, Q: 169)

4) Work experience: Staff Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA. 4 promotions in 4.5 years.
Work in the Software R & D division of a leading technology company with a focus on Data Analytics, Machine Learning, Cybersecurity.

5) Extracurriculars: Involved in community service for the last 18 years but with "registered" organizations working in Education only for the last 4 years (functionary role).

6) Short/Long term goals: Strategy/Analytics/Business Development/Product Development in Tech

7) Recommendations - 2 good recommendations from engineering managers (direct supervisors)

Pros for MMM:
I really like the curriculum and I will get additional design innovation expertise (useful since I want to be in tech)
Since I am from the most overrepresented applicant pool (Male, Indian, Engineer), there might be an advantage here as MMM adcom might be willing to include more people with tech backgrounds.
Less people apply because of cost as well as awareness
This program is a great differentiator for those who want to work in tech innovation. You really form a strong bond with your classmates and the new design space at Kellogg is just tremendous! You look like you have a great background for this.
Cons for MMM:
Only 60 seats. Less flexibility for the adcom to squeeze in strong candidates.

Pros for MBA:
The "data analytics" pathway closely meets my career goals with a focus on strategy, data, analytics.
A much bigger class leading to more flexibility for the adcom to take in strong candidates.
More flexibility in choosing courses.

Cons for MBA:
Required to publish class statistics by industry and typically do not take in more than 10% from technology.
Much more people apply to the MBA program.

I believe I am a strong candidate for both the programs and both of them meet my needs but I am concerned about how my candidacy will play out within an over represented applicant pool.
Cost of the program is not an issue for me. Look forward to some suggestions from people who are familiar with Kellogg MMM/MBA.From your background it looks like the MMM option suits- you can certainly reach out to Kellogg adcom and talk to students in both programs to help you decide which way to go. The more you know about why MMM- the better as part of the MMM application is to explain why the MMM program appeals. Kellogg adcom says that the numbers of applicants to number of seats is roughly the same for all programs so I don't think there is an easier or harder door into Kellogg and that you should really just rely on your true interest for which program appeals most to you- and then work to make that application the best it can be! Good luck and if you want to reach out to us to have us offer tips on the Kellogg application- we are always just a click away at this link: https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com ... b-visitor/

Donna | StratusMBACounselor | Stratus Admissions Counseling

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 42

Re: MBA vs MMM   [#permalink] 12 Dec 2017, 12:09

MBA vs MMM

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: Gnpth

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap