Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 20:50 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 20:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Booth, Columbia, Kellogg,INSEAD, LBS
 Q48  V46
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 863 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools:MBA, Thunderbird School of Global Management / BA, Wesleyan University
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3468 [1]
Given Kudos: 210
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Send PM
Re: MGMAT CAT 1 - 540 (Q34, V31) - test in 2 weeks....help! [#permalink]
Kudos
Brett, those were excellent suggestions!

I'd like to add something. Use the assessment reports generated by MGMAT. These are a GODSEND. When I took my first MGMAT CAT I wasn't paying too much attention during verbal, so when I took the second CAT I only ran an assessment for that and I found that on most math questions I'd made really stupid mistakes. And I'd have switched answers on the verbal the last minute. They give you a detailed breakdown, identifying your weaknesses and strengths and fastest and slowest areas. These reports are very valuable and would be great. If you have access to their question banks, use those well. And I think identifying your weak areas and working on those will be way more fruitful than learning new areas, because, let's face it, you're likely to get one or two geometry problems on the test - not 5 or 6 like MGMAT. But that's cos they want you to get acclimatized to the higher levels. Don't be disheartened! :)

Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thank you all for some very valuable advice.

After much consideration, I've revised my goal to hit in the low 600s (600 and up). Not much of a goal but my test is next week (December 9th) and the process has unfortunately led to this way (if only I would have started a few weeks earlier... which I should have.. but that's life).

Alright, so I took my second MGMAT CAT today. I scored a 520 (Q39, V22) (yikes!!!). So my overall score went down from 540 to 520. Discouraging but encouraging at the same time. On my first MGMAT CAT I scored a 540 (Q34, V31). My quant went up by 5 points (which I am very happy about at this point) but my verbal took a 9 point hit. I know we aren't really suppose to do this, but if I combine my new quant score (Q39) and previous verbal score (V31), that is pretty close to my 600 target.

I have a pretty good idea what I will review for quant in the next week but it seems like I am having pacing problems on verbal. For the second test in a row, I rushed through the last 10 questions. I did the same for the last CAT but the difference was 9 points higher. I know if I can fix pacing issues, that would be key. RC seems to be a place where I spend way too much time.

Goal: 600 (around the 65th percentile). This means that I'm a few points away from this score for quant (go from Q39 (MGMAT CAT 2) to Q43 and V31 (MGMAT CAT 1) to V33.

Any thoughts?
Own Kudos [?]: 863 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
blitz,

Since your test day is just a few days away, here is my advice:

1. Do not burn yourself out in the next three days. Very often students tell me they took a CAT each day for a week leading up to the test and then got tired during the actual test. Makes sense, right? You wouldn't run five practice marathons the week before the real marathon, and you shouldn't take full-length exams in the days leading up to a GMAT.

2. Decide TODAY if you haven't already where you are going to guess on verbal. Guessing on the GMAT is just fine, but you need to be the one that decides when and where you are going to guess. If you run out of time, you need to guess on the last 10 problems. That's no good. If you analyze your data and realize that long passages are your weakest area by a far and thus you guess more on the long passages than on your strong suits, that's better. You might as well guess where you are more likely to get a wrong answer, so spend a day or two making a list of where you want to guess.

3. Remember not to psychoanalyze yourself on test day. If you're trying to figure out how you're doing WHILE you're taking the test (i.e. "Wow this question is hard! I must be doing really well!) you set yourself up for disappointment. Thinking about these things does no good during the test. It does, however, distract you and often break your confidence. Once a problem is over, you need to forget that it ever existed and focus only on the problem at hand. Easier said than done, I assure you.

Good luck!

Brett
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Brett,

Thanks for following up and giving me some good last couple of days advice. I really wish I could report my studying has been better over the last week or so. It has been 'ok' and I believe it could have been much better.. especially when it comes to practice tests.

I'm going to do 1 CAT practice this week from mba.com. I need to see where I'm at. I'm going to do it on Tuesday morning. Sounds crazy 2 days before the GMAT to do one but I need to gauge my performance. The rest of the time I'll be fine tuning some quant and verbal stuff by mostly doing practice questions and reviewing theory. I don't want to burn myself out.

As I wrote in a previous post, my goal is not crazy high.. 600 and up and I'll be happy.

Thanks again for all your help! I have some office hours scheduled tomorrow night with a Manhattan GMAT instructor.
Own Kudos [?]: 863 [0]
Send PM
blitz,

I anticipate your Office Hours instructor will share similar advice, but:

It's totally fine to do one sample CAT the week before the test, but make sure you take advantage of that time spent by reviewing the test results to refine your analysis of where you should guess during the real test.

Good luck!

Brett
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Need someone to shed some light on how I can turn my failed efforts into a successsful score.i have been studying for the past 2 months continuously day in and day out.I was doing fairly ok in the practice tests at Jamboree and I took my first GMAT prep test today and ironically I got the same score I got when I took the diagnostic test 2 months back of 460.I am 20 days away from the actual GMAT exam and I am lost absolutely.Quite demotivated and out of ideas on how to turn the tables to get my target score of 650.Two months of hard work seems to have not gone in the correct direction.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi angad87,

To start, all of the posts in this thread are over 5 years old, so you probably won't hear back from any of these posters. I'll be happy to offer the pointed advice that you're looking for, but I'd like to know a bit more about your studies so far:

1) What materials have you used?
2) What were your Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores on this last CAT?
3) Did you take the FULL CAT (including the Essay and IR sections)?
4) When are you planning to apply to Business School?

Unfortunately, raising a 460 to a 650 in 2 weeks isn't likely to happen, so you're almost certainly going to have to continue studying. There's no harm in taking your Test as scheduled (for the experience), but if you want to save some money then you should pay the $50 rescheduling fee and push your Test Date back. Without having more information, I think that you'll probably need another 2-3 months of consistent, guided study to hit your score goals.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GMAT Club Bot