Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 13:19 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 13:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 500 [12]
Given Kudos: 185
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7776 [2]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 383 [2]
Given Kudos: 51
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 4
WE:Analyst (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7776 [2]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Re: Multi-party initiatives are becoming increasingly popular among the m [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Allow me to clarify two things about inferences:

1) An inference is something that we can logically conclude from a certain set of information. There is no requirement that the information be unstated, or that it require a great deal of synthesis on our part. If I tell you that my name is Dmitry, you can infer that my name is Dmitry. That's fine! True, GMAT inferences will usually be harder than that, but we can NEVER rule out an inference answer because the information is directly stated. Rather, if it appears that the information is directly stated, we may want to double-check. Since that answer would be very easy, we may have missed a key difference that invalidates the answer.

2) An inference does not have to connect multiple concepts. In other words, we can't say that one inference is better because it is an overall conclusion or ties the argument together. Either it is true based on the statements, or it isn't. That's all. Some inferences will synthesize multiple points, especially if those points lead to a paradox or difficulty. (For example, if the stimulus tells me that I can't get a job without experience, but that I can only get experience through a job, then I can infer that if I don't have a job, I can't get one.) Other inferences will simply draw from one statement. Our job is to find the one answer that must be true based on the information we have. If more than one answer (or no answer) seems true, then we're mistaken or the question is a dud.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 415 [1]
Given Kudos: 778
Send PM
Multi-party initiatives are becoming increasingly popular among the m [#permalink]
Though multi-party system has lot of differences on a agenda, chances of passing of law is much more in multiparty system than that of in single party system benefiting the people of Country.W.

So B is answer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 97
Send PM
Re: Multi-party initiatives are becoming increasingly popular among the m [#permalink]
Anyone please explain the reasoning behind the answer.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
Send PM
Being less popular earlier does not mean they were less common. They still could be drafted in higher number but were not that popular. If we are being knit picky about answer choice B, we should be knit picky about C as well. Not sure how B is rejected but C is ok.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 383 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 4
WE:Analyst (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Multi-party initiatives are becoming increasingly popular among the m [#permalink]
prateek25 wrote:
Being less popular earlier does not mean they were less common. They still could be drafted in higher number but were not that popular. If we are being knit picky about answer choice B, we should be knit picky about C as well. Not sure how B is rejected but C is ok.

Posted from my mobile device

It's a matter of interpretation. Becoming increasingly popular... as a direct result of how easily those legislations can be passed... means to me that they're being favoured more now than in the past. No such assumption can be made about B because the passage does not mention exchange of ideas at all -- it's an assumption the question gets you to make.

Edit: There's a big difference between less popular and unpopular. In your interpretation, I believe you're going for the latter, which again, is an assumption on your part.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 192
GMAT 1: 610 Q44 V30
GMAT 2: 650 Q44 V35
GRE 1: Q160 V150
GPA: 3
WE:Advertising (Advertising and PR)
Send PM
Quote:
Multi-party initiatives are becoming increasingly popular among the members of the parliament of Country W. Although legislation proposed under the auspices of more than one party may not adhere as strictly to the agenda of each of the parties involved as legislation proposed by only one party, the political backing of the voting blocs represented by the cooperating parties make such proposals more likely to pass than proposals that come from a single faction alone. The benefit of multi-party initiatives is that legislation important to the general welfare of Country W that might otherwise have foundered in inter-party disagreements can effectively be enacted.

Which of the following can be inferred from the passage above?

A) Multi-party initiatives deal with proposals too large and complex for a single party to have passed into law.
B) Multi-party initiatives produce a confluence of ideas that results in legislation that is generally better overall for the welfare of Country W.
C) Multi-party initiatives have in the past been less common in the government of Country W than now.
D) Jointly-supported proposals represent only the interests of the parties that back their passage into law.
E) Jointly-supported proposals are not any more likely to be passed into law than proposals presented by individual parties.

The question stem asks us to find the statement that can be inferred from the passage, so our goal is to find the answer choice which states something that is not particulary mentioned in the paragraph but can be inferred from the passage. Let's have a look at the answer choices -

A) Multi-party initiatives deal with proposals too large and complex for a single party to have passed into law. (The complexity or the "size" of any kind of proposal is not mentioned anywhere in the passage - OUT OF SCOPE)

B) Multi-party initiatives produce a confluence of ideas that results in legislation that is generally better overall for the welfare of Country W. (This one is very tempting, but as this fact is actually mentioned in the passage that such a system of multi party initiatives in beneficial for the country, it is just a rephrased sentence. Hence, It is not an inference.)

C) Multi-party initiatives have in the past been less common in the government of Country W than now. ( This can be inferred from the first line of the paragraph which says "Multi-party initiatives are becoming increasingly popular among the members of the parliament of Country W." which means we can infer that this wasn't the state earlier in country W. Correct)

D) Jointly-supported proposals represent only the interests of the parties that back their passage into law. (The passage reveals no information regarding the interests of parties in jointly-supported proposals. OUT OF SCOPE)

E) Jointly-supported proposals are not any more likely to be passed into law than proposals presented by individual parties. (Again, the passage reveals no information regarding the likelihood of jointly-supported proposals or proposals presented by individual parties. OUT OF SCOPE)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 415 [0]
Given Kudos: 778
Send PM
Hello there.

First of all, whatever reason you have mentioned for rejecting option B is also applicable to option C.

Read-"Multi-party initiatives are becoming increasingly popular among the members of the parliament of Country W."
Option C is re-phrased of above sentence, isn't it?

Now read "The benefit of multi-party initiatives is that legislation important to the general welfare of Country W that might otherwise have foundered in inter-party disagreements can effectively be enacted"
Option B states the overall inference of the argument, not just re-phrasing the sentence.

Please let me know where I am wrong?

naturalimproviser wrote:
Quote:
Multi-party initiatives are becoming increasingly popular among the members of the parliament of Country W. Although legislation proposed under the auspices of more than one party may not adhere as strictly to the agenda of each of the parties involved as legislation proposed by only one party, the political backing of the voting blocs represented by the cooperating parties make such proposals more likely to pass than proposals that come from a single faction alone. The benefit of multi-party initiatives is that legislation important to the general welfare of Country W that might otherwise have foundered in inter-party disagreements can effectively be enacted.

Which of the following can be inferred from the passage above?

A) Multi-party initiatives deal with proposals too large and complex for a single party to have passed into law.
B) Multi-party initiatives produce a confluence of ideas that results in legislation that is generally better overall for the welfare of Country W.
C) Multi-party initiatives have in the past been less common in the government of Country W than now.
D) Jointly-supported proposals represent only the interests of the parties that back their passage into law.
E) Jointly-supported proposals are not any more likely to be passed into law than proposals presented by individual parties.

The question stem asks us to find the statement that can be inferred from the passage, so our goal is to find the answer choice which states something that is not particulary mentioned in the paragraph but can be inferred from the passage. Let's have a look at the answer choices -

A) Multi-party initiatives deal with proposals too large and complex for a single party to have passed into law. (The complexity or the "size" of any kind of proposal is not mentioned anywhere in the passage - OUT OF SCOPE)

B) Multi-party initiatives produce a confluence of ideas that results in legislation that is generally better overall for the welfare of Country W. (This one is very tempting, but as this fact is actually mentioned in the passage that such a system of multi party initiatives in beneficial for the country, it is just a rephrased sentence. Hence, It is not an inference.)

C) Multi-party initiatives have in the past been less common in the government of Country W than now. ( This can be inferred from the first line of the paragraph which says "Multi-party initiatives are becoming increasingly popular among the members of the parliament of Country W." which means we can infer that this wasn't the state earlier in country W. Correct)

D) Jointly-supported proposals represent only the interests of the parties that back their passage into law. (The passage reveals no information regarding the interests of parties in jointly-supported proposals. OUT OF SCOPE)

E) Jointly-supported proposals are not any more likely to be passed into law than proposals presented by individual parties. (Again, the passage reveals no information regarding the likelihood of jointly-supported proposals or proposals presented by individual parties. OUT OF SCOPE)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 733 [0]
Given Kudos: 362
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
The beginning of the original statement mentions the increasing popularity of cross-party initiatives.
We can use this statement to infer that the number of this initiatives is higher today than it has been in the past.

This rationale leads me to choose C as the answer.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts