GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Aug 2018, 16:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Musicologist: Classification of a musical instrument depends on the me

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
V
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Musicologist: Classification of a musical instrument depends on the me  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2018, 14:21
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

57% (01:21) correct 43% (01:35) wrong based on 79 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Musicologist: Classification of a musical instrument depends on the mechanical action through which it produces music. So the piano is properly called a percussion instrument, not a stringed instrument. Even though the vibration of the piano’s strings is what makes its sound, the strings are caused to vibrate by the impact of hammers.

Which one of the following most accurately expresses the main conclusion of the musicologist’s argument?

(A) Musical instruments should be classified according to the mechanical actions through which they produce sound.
(B) Musical instruments should not be classified based on the way musicians interact with them.
(C) Some people classify the piano as a stringed instrument because of the way the piano produces sound.
(D) The piano should be classified as a stringed instrument rather than as a percussion instrument.
(E) It is correct to classify the piano as a percussion instrument rather than as a stringed instrument.

Source: LSAT

Non progredi est regredi

Intern
Intern
B
Re: Musicologist: Classification of a musical instrument depends on the me  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2018, 19:11
The key to answer any CR answer correctly is to find the conclusion. Yes, I know that first sentence sounds tempting, but it’s a pure premise, not a conclusion. In this case the key word “properly” indiacates the real conclusion. So we have a paradox that even though piano makes sounds with strings, it is called percussion instrument.

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
WE: Information Technology (Other)
Re: Musicologist: Classification of a musical instrument depends on the me  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2018, 19:58
Akela wrote:
Musicologist: Classification of a musical instrument depends on the mechanical action through which it produces music. So the piano is properly called a percussion instrument, not a stringed instrument. Even though the vibration of the piano’s strings is what makes its sound, the strings are caused to vibrate by the impact of hammers.

Which one of the following most accurately expresses the main conclusion of the musicologist’s argument?

(A) Musical instruments should be classified according to the mechanical actions through which they produce sound.
(B) Musical instruments should not be classified based on the way musicians interact with them.
(C) Some people classify the piano as a stringed instrument because of the way the piano produces sound.
(D) The piano should be classified as a stringed instrument rather than as a percussion instrument.
(E) It is correct to classify the piano as a percussion instrument rather than as a stringed instrument.

Source: LSAT

I see it this way.
If we had 2, 3 or more examples of instruments described in a passage, option A would possibly be the correct answer.
But what we have here?

Classification of a musical instrument depends on the mechanical action through which it produces music - not an obvious premise
So the piano is properly called a percussion instrument, not a stringed instrument - conclusion
Even though the vibration of the piano’s strings is what makes its sound, the strings are caused to vibrate by the impact of hammers - obvious premise
Half of the passage expains to us why we can not call piano a stringed instrument and why it is called percussion instrument
Re: Musicologist: Classification of a musical instrument depends on the me &nbs [#permalink] 04 Aug 2018, 19:58

Musicologist: Classification of a musical instrument depends on the me

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap