GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Dec 2018, 12:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

My Experience With the Executive Assessment Test

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
My Experience With the Executive Assessment Test  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2018, 11:02
I just took the EA today and thought I’d share my experience with you all while it is fresh.

A little bit about my background first. I’m a director level media exec in NYC with about 15 years experience in marketing & web publishing. I graduated top of my class with a BA in Media Studies. While I crunch numbers in my job regularly I am not quant ‘inclined.’ In fact, the last math class I took was in high school.

I knew that feeling confident with quant was going to be the largest hurdle. So to brush up on the subject matter I reviewed several videos and lessons from Khan Academy (Sal is an excellent instructor and I highly recommend his videos if you need to brush up on basic math skills).

After a week or so of brush up I decided to purchase the Veritas On Demand Plus self paced online GMAT course. I HIGHLY recommend this course however there is a lot of information to get through (even when excluding geometry). There are about a dozen or so books each relating to a subject area or question type. Each book has a refresher (very helpful if you need to brush up on basic skills), the lesson, and several practice questions pertaining to the lesson (with explanations online). You can watch the lesson as a video and/or read the book (I did both).

A few observations about this course: the questions (especially verbal) are significantly more difficult than what you will experience on the EA (even if you are scoring perfectly the entire test), the quant lessons are gold, I did not take a ton away from the verbal lessons but the fact the questions are more difficult is a plus.

I supplemented with the Official EA practice questions, the IR Prep Tool, and two official Assessment exams. I did all of the questions from above. IR was the most difficult section to get comfortable with. Somewhere after doing about 120 IR problems I found my stride and the question type ‘clicked.’

I then took two Official EA practice exams a week apart.

1st Practice Exam: 152 ( IR 10, VR 12, QR 10) - I ran out of time on all three sections. My timing was great on the front end of IR and then fell apart — I skipped 3 questions. Verbal felt rushed and skipped 1 question, and skipped two quant.

In between tests, I worked mainly on timing, and specifically on IR timing.

2nd Practice Exam: 162 (IR 18, VR 12, QR 12) - I found a rhythm on IR and felt the questions were all fairly easy. I answered all VR and skipped one QR.

Official Exam: 154 (IR 11, VR 12, QR 11) - I did not skip any questions, although I felt like the VR and QR sections were harder than what I saw on the practice exams.

If I could give any advice it would be to work on timing and crush through as many official EA questions as possible.
Intern
Intern
Re: My Experience With the Executive Assessment Test  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2018, 17:22
JayJDubya wrote:
I just took the EA today and thought I’d share my experience with you all while it is fresh.

A little bit about my background first. I’m a director level media exec in NYC with about 15 years experience in marketing & web publishing. I graduated top of my class with a BA in Media Studies. While I crunch numbers in my job regularly I am not quant ‘inclined.’ In fact, the last math class I took was in high school.

I knew that feeling confident with quant was going to be the largest hurdle. So to brush up on the subject matter I reviewed several videos and lessons from Khan Academy (Sal is an excellent instructor and I highly recommend his videos if you need to brush up on basic math skills).

After a week or so of brush up I decided to purchase the Veritas On Demand Plus self paced online GMAT course. I HIGHLY recommend this course however there is a lot of information to get through (even when excluding geometry). There are about a dozen or so books each relating to a subject area or question type. Each book has a refresher (very helpful if you need to brush up on basic skills), the lesson, and several practice questions pertaining to the lesson (with explanations online). You can watch the lesson as a video and/or read the book (I did both).

A few observations about this course: the questions (especially verbal) are significantly more difficult than what you will experience on the EA (even if you are scoring perfectly the entire test), the quant lessons are gold, I did not take a ton away from the verbal lessons but the fact the questions are more difficult is a plus.

I supplemented with the Official EA practice questions, the IR Prep Tool, and two official Assessment exams. I did all of the questions from above. IR was the most difficult section to get comfortable with. Somewhere after doing about 120 IR problems I found my stride and the question type ‘clicked.’

I then took two Official EA practice exams a week apart.

1st Practice Exam: 152 ( IR 10, VR 12, QR 10) - I ran out of time on all three sections. My timing was great on the front end of IR and then fell apart — I skipped 3 questions. Verbal felt rushed and skipped 1 question, and skipped two quant.

In between tests, I worked mainly on timing, and specifically on IR timing.

2nd Practice Exam: 162 (IR 18, VR 12, QR 12) - I found a rhythm on IR and felt the questions were all fairly easy. I answered all VR and skipped one QR.

Official Exam: 154 (IR 11, VR 12, QR 11) - I did not skip any questions, although I felt like the VR and QR sections were harder than what I saw on the practice exams.

If I could give any advice it would be to work on timing and crush through as many official EA questions as possible.

Great job. Which schools are you targeting? And when do you plan to apply?
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2018, 06:00
JW421 Locally, I'm looking into Columbia and NYU. However, I haven't ruled out traveling. I read in another thread that you contacted GMAC and they told you 150 was 64th percentile. I've contacted GMAC several times looking for percentiles and couldn't get as much as a simple acknowledgment of my question.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2018, 06:42
Yes, that’s true. They did tell me that. They’re definitely not as forthcoming as folks would like. But the information makes sense. The best EMBA programs consider 150 to be a respectable score. And some people have scored above 160 but it’s a minority of the EA population.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2018, 12:36
Hi Jay,

I see that you took the EA and worked on about 120 IR questions. What material did you use? I am also finding IR really hard, especially keeping up the timing. What are some of the tips that you could share? Also, were the EA questions on the actual exam the same level of difficulty as the practise ones?

Pramod
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2018, 08:41
Jay and forum members who have taken the actual test. Would you say that any of the actual exam questions exist on the study material?

Kuddos to all with great success stories here

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2018, 20:00
HI all

just did my test yesterday and scored a 161 - 18, 13, 10

in general I think it was about in line with the practise materials and exams that you can buy from the website - and would definitely recommend doing all the questions you get there.

Time wasn't a massive issue for me - but if I had to give some advice it would be to not take more than an extra minute more in the first section - if you have not scored well, I think the second half of the test adjusts accordingly to give you some easier questions, which you should be able to get correct and you definitely don't want to run out of time to get those easier marks.

Key thing to do is not get rattled or spooked by the questions, and better to invest the time and answer the question than skim it and skip with the hope of coming back to them.

Cheers and good luck everyone !

Richard
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2018, 01:03
If you are looking for a quick introduction to the Executive Assessment Exam, Chicago Booth offers a 2 hour prep for EMBA applicants. Everyone is welcome! They are recorded so if you miss the original dates, you can get access to the recordings. Just head over to the Booth Executive MBA site (I can't post a link here) and you will find more information.

Hope to see you there!
Kathleen
GMAT Club Bot
Re: My Experience With the Executive Assessment Test &nbs [#permalink] 16 Dec 2018, 01:03

My Experience With the Executive Assessment Test

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap