Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 00:27 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 00:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 250 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1332 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Status:Preparing myself to break the sound( 700 )-barrier!
Affiliations: IFC - Business Edge, Bangladesh Enterprise Institute
Own Kudos [?]: 226 [0]
Given Kudos: 136
Send PM
Re: GMAT Xperience..680, 700, 720, 740, 740...570?? Conclusions [#permalink]
jeepsdaddy wrote:
It seemed as though I could get to the answer of each problem, but the answer choices were no longer in the same form as they were during my studies. I get the feeling that the GMAT has started to introduce answer forms as a new way to trick the test taker; one more step between answer to answer choice.

If this is the case, it is really alarming for all of us who are prepping on a standardized format :shock: . Anyone has something to share about this issue?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Schawjibb wrote:
jeepsdaddy wrote:
It seemed as though I could get to the answer of each problem, but the answer choices were no longer in the same form as they were during my studies. I get the feeling that the GMAT has started to introduce answer forms as a new way to trick the test taker; one more step between answer to answer choice.

If this is the case, it is really alarming for all of us who are prepping on a standardized format :shock: . Anyone has something to share about this issue?

I assure you that this was the case. It completely threw me off in the quantitative section (another mistake... I plan on training myself to remain composed). There is no exaggeration in this story. Plus when you think about it, would you put it past the GMAT to attempt this sort of thing? Remember though it might have easily been a few test questions that don't really count. :lol:

I actually spent some time going through the official guide questions trying to find anything similar to what I saw on the test, and I could not find a single question. (Little things like fractions rather then decimals is something I expected.)

I want to make it clear that the standard training programs, Manhattan GMAT and Kaplan were great resources I am no way advocating against them. In fact I highly recommend them.

Lesson 1: Be prepared for the unexpected.
Lesson 2: Remain composed at all times.
Lesson 3: Good strategy / Good process.
Lesson 4: Plan your test dates 60 days prior to application deadlines (if your life allows it.)
Lesson 5: An answer to a question can be rephrased in multiple ways. Think about the number of ways they can be rephrased as your going through your practice questions.

Like your quote says: "A smart guy learns from his mistakes. But, a wise guy learns from others' mistakes."
Manager
Manager
Send PM
jeepsdaddy wrote:
Lesson 1: Be prepared for the unexpected.
Lesson 2: Remain composed at all times.
Lesson 3: Good strategy / Good process.
Lesson 4: Plan your test dates 60 days prior to application deadlines (if your life allows it.)
Lesson 5: An answer to a question can be rephrased in multiple ways. Think about the number of ways they can be rephrased as your going through your practice questions.

Thank you for your very thoughtful insights! I hope, I can learn all these lessons and incorporate them in my practices ( and actual GMAT ).

One more question, are you planning to retake GMAT?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Yes. I am going to retake it in 30-45 days.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Best of luck with your retake!

I am sure, you can conquer GMAT this time!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 216 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.37
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Quote:
It seemed as though I could get to the answer of each problem, but the answer choices were no longer in the same form as they were during my studies. I get the feeling that the GMAT has started to introduce answer forms as a new way to trick the test taker; one more step between answer to answer choice. (i.e. I had one of those sum of consecutive odd numbers from 29 to 100 type questions, where normally you would take the median and multiply it by the number of terms, but the answer choices were in some crazy format)

That's weird, can you give an example of the crazy format the answer choices were in?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Re: GMAT Xperience..680, 700, 720, 740, 740...570?? Conclusi [#permalink]
jko wrote:
Quote:
It seemed as though I could get to the answer of each problem, but the answer choices were no longer in the same form as they were during my studies. I get the feeling that the GMAT has started to introduce answer forms as a new way to trick the test taker; one more step between answer to answer choice. (i.e. I had one of those sum of consecutive odd numbers from 29 to 100 type questions, where normally you would take the median and multiply it by the number of terms, but the answer choices were in some crazy format)

That's weird, can you give an example of the crazy format the answer choices were in?

Sure. This wasn't the worst case, but for the question of finding the sum of consecutive odd integers in a particular range the answer choices were olin the form of powers. So it gave 79^2-11^2+18^2. The expactation was that either you approximate each of the answer choices to get something close to your calc OR that you know the property of N^2 is the sum of N consecutive odd integers.

Like I said. It wasn't difficult, just tricky. It through me off and it occured more than once. (Lesson Learned.)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Intern
Intern
Send PM
jko wrote:
Quote:

Sure. This wasn't the worst case, but for the question of finding the sum of consecutive odd integers in a particular range the answer choices were olin the form of powers. So it gave 79^2-11^2+18^2. The expactation was that either you approximate each of the answer choices to get something close to your calc OR that you know the property of N^2 is the sum of N consecutive odd integers.

Like I said. It wasn't difficult, just tricky. It through me off and it occured more than once. (Lesson Learned.)

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
jeepsdaddy wrote:
jko wrote:
Quote:

This is what i am saying. The test makers have definately found ways of making the exam more trickier... Its said. Yet they plan to update GMATPREP in january 2012. I wish i concentrated on studying as hard as i have and taken the exam 3 years ago. I took it 2 years ago but i was joking and suprisingly that was my highest score.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
see , the trickier the better, be prepared this time , and if it is so tricky, then your percentile score will anyway reflect it.

it cannot be the case that the GMAT was tough only for you and the rest of the test takers got simpler questions. so better try to find out why your test scores were so high, or why precisely your GMAT score was low.

if you want to practice really tricky questions, go for gmatclub quant tests and if you want to practice even more, the best resource in the world is INDIAN CAT EXAM prep material. i can guarantee nothing can be trickier than that.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
garimavyas wrote:
see , the trickier the better, be prepared this time , and if it is so tricky, then your percentile score will anyway reflect it.

it cannot be the case that the GMAT was tough only for you and the rest of the test takers got simpler questions. so better try to find out why your test scores were so high, or why precisely your GMAT score was low.

if you want to practice really tricky questions, go for gmatclub quant tests and if you want to practice even more, the best resource in the world is INDIAN CAT EXAM prep material. i can guarantee nothing can be trickier than that.

@ garimavyas

Can you give a name of source from where I can download or experience REAL INDIAN CATs (or at least prep materials)? That would be a big help for me. Thanks!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
you don't need that for an exam like GMAT. CAT is way too difficult , but in case you just want a taste of it ,Google 'CAT India practice questions'
Manager
Manager
Send PM
garimavyas wrote:
you don't need that for an exam like GMAT. CAT is way too difficult , but in case you just want a taste of it ,Google 'CAT India practice questions'

It's true. Because there has to be a system that makes sure only the cream comes out of the 1 billion people for the best institutions of India. But, to be true, those who CRACK it are human! ;-)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Concentration: Info Systems and Technology
Schools:Virginia Tech
 Q37  V26 GMAT 2: 610  Q39  V35
GPA: 3.542
Send PM
When you did your practice exams, did you complete both essays?

I'm finding that my test scores, particularly my verbal, are much lower on the practice tests that I complete the essays.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37319 posts