Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:13 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Status:Accepting donations for the mohater MBA debt repayment fund
Own Kudos [?]: 1148 [0]
Given Kudos: 234
Concentration: Operations, Finance
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.54
WE:Accounting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Business - Finance
Schools:Columbia Business School, Goizueta, Sloan
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: need help in my strategy [#permalink]
Laker7 wrote:
I think you made some kind of mistake because there is no way to score that high in a Q and V section and have such a low score? Are you sure that you typed/viewed it well?

Damn... ofcourse I made a mistake... My score is Q45V23 (already edited it above) - 560 overall. And i was wondering why isn't anyone answering)
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72876 [0]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Yes, your verbal seems to struggle the most. Are you a non-native speaker?

You should focus on verbal as much as you can (probably a bit obvious).
I can recommend the MGMAT Verbal Foundations and also MGMAT Roadmap.

Also, GMAT Club Grammar book may be helpful if you still struggle with SC's
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
leonidisss wrote:
Laker7 wrote:
I think you made some kind of mistake because there is no way to score that high in a Q and V section and have such a low score? Are you sure that you typed/viewed it well?

Damn... ofcourse I made a mistake... My score is Q45V23 (already edited it above) - 560 overall. And i was wondering why isn't anyone answering)

I can give you a few pointers that helped me increase my overall GMAT score from 640 to 700, and a verbal score from 34 to 38. Believe me; GMAT English can also be handled by logic. I'll show you how:
1) Identify your weakness: RC, CR or SC?
2) RC as a weakness: I had a very bad reading habit. Never read a single novel (other than the coursework in school) in my entire life! So I addressed this problem by reading online newspapers and articles. And I read a book called "Module V". This really helped me understand the "logic" behind passages. It's all in the structure. Key points:
> Read "online" material (news, magazines, and articles). GMAT is an online exam
> Read abstract articles. Make sure you read something that you don't enjoy. For example: Read science blogs if you are not a science student for instance! The trick is to get used to reading abstract articles and trying to understand the structure/big picture.
3) CR as a weakness: This is a miniature form of RC. You need to identify three main things here: Premise, Argument and Conclusion. If you have this, you have the answer. Read these questions with the mindset of cracking the code, and not thinking about the content. Same goes for RC. Please read the CR bible a 100 times if not less. Everything written in that book will help you break the code of the CR challenge!
4) SC as a weakness: Having sentence correction as a weakness is a SIN! This is supposed to be our savior. One just CANNOT afford to answer these questions incorrectly. And trust me, it’s not difficult. All you need to do is: read Manhattan SC Guide. Again! It is very important how you read and what you learn from what you have read? Make sure to use elimination tricks given in that book, it always works! Practice, practice and just practice till you get close to 100% accuracy in the practice questions and tests. IT IS POSSIBLE AND MANY PEOPLE DO IT.
5) Your aim should not be to solve tens and thousands of problems. You should try and put all the concepts in your head first! But you should always solve many practice tests before you go for the main exam. I would say, at least 20 practice tests. Don’t get too excited if you score very well on a couple of tests. You must consistently perform well on at least 5 - 6 tests to be sure.
PM me if you need additional help! Best of luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
bb wrote:
Yes, your verbal seems to struggle the most. Are you a non-native speaker?

You should focus on verbal as much as you can (probably a bit obvious).
I can recommend the MGMAT Verbal Foundations and also MGMAT Roadmap.

Also, GMAT Club Grammar book may be helpful if you still struggle with SC's

Sorry for the long answer - was out of town.
No I'm not a native speaker. I will focus on verbal as much as i can. i will look at the books you recommended.
But what worries me the most is the low quant score. Do you have a possible explanation for that? A week before the exam i wrote gmat prep tests. The first one was Q47, the other one was Q49. What do you think should i do for my quant score?
Thanks in advance. I really appreciate it.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
SR85 wrote:
leonidisss wrote:
Laker7 wrote:

I can give you a few pointers that helped me increase my overall GMAT score from 640 to 700, and a verbal score from 34 to 38. Believe me; GMAT English can also be handled by logic. I'll show you how:
2) RC as a weakness: I had a very bad reading habit. Never read a single novel (other than the coursework in school) in my entire life! So I addressed this problem by reading online newspapers and articles. And I read a book called "Module V". This really helped me understand the "logic" behind passages. It's all in the structure. Key points:
> Read "online" material (news, magazines, and articles). GMAT is an online exam
> Read abstract articles. Make sure you read something that you don't enjoy. For example: Read science blogs if you are not a science student for instance! The trick is to get used to reading abstract articles and trying to understand the structure/big picture.
3) CR as a weakness: This is a miniature form of RC. You need to identify three main things here: Premise, Argument and Conclusion. If you have this, you have the answer. Read these questions with the mindset of cracking the code, and not thinking about the content. Same goes for RC. Please read the CR bible a 100 times if not less. Everything written in that book will help you break the code of the CR challenge!
4) SC as a weakness: Having sentence correction as a weakness is a SIN! This is supposed to be our savior. One just CANNOT afford to answer these questions incorrectly. And trust me, it’s not difficult. All you need to do is: read Manhattan SC Guide. Again! It is very important how you read and what you learn from what you have read? Make sure to use elimination tricks given in that book, it always works! Practice, practice and just practice till you get close to 100% accuracy in the practice questions and tests. IT IS POSSIBLE AND MANY PEOPLE DO IT.
5) Your aim should not be to solve tens and thousands of problems. You should try and put all the concepts in your head first! But you should always solve many practice tests before you go for the main exam. I would say, at least 20 practice tests. Don’t get too excited if you score very well on a couple of tests. You must consistently perform well on at least 5 - 6 tests to be sure.

Thanks a lot for you very detailed answer. I'm sorry it took me so long to answer - was out of town with no internet.
1) As i understand my main problem is RC and SC. also CR sometimes betrays me
2) that's a great point i will read a lot of science related texts. i hope this will improve the situation.
3) I already read The CR bible twice. You think it's worth to read again and again?) what practice tests would you recomend for the CR. i already covered Gmatprep, Official guides, manhattan gmat and kaplan
4) Also read already twice. Probably should reread it.
5) which practice tests would you recommend?

Thanks again for your very detailed answer. Good luck to you too)
Kind regards
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [2]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
leonidisss wrote:
SR85 wrote:

Thanks a lot for you very detailed answer. I'm sorry it took me so long to answer - was out of town with no internet.
2) that's a great point i will read a lot of science related texts. i hope this will improve the situation.
3) I already read The CR bible twice. You think it's worth to read again and again?) what practice tests would you recomend for the CR. i already covered Gmatprep, Official guides, manhattan gmat and kaplan

Kind regards

Hi! A few more points that I would like to highlight:

1) Don't just read science texts, but random topics especially something that is not of your interest. The trick is to get used to reading whatever GMAT throws your way. Try online articles on Economist, WSJ, etc. You have to develop a habit of identifying the structure, tone and big picture, instead of the actual content. There are a limited number of question types that can be asked in an RC question - eventually, you will have to develop a methodology to tackle each type. Remember, GMAT is not a test of English; it's a test of time management.

2) If you have read Power Score CR Bible twice and are still facing issues with CR, then I think you need to change the way you read and also try and apply what you have read. The best way is: the moment you read how to tackle a type of question, try and pick up the Official Guide and see if you are able to apply that concept. You have to keep these learning as tools to tackle different question types on the exam. It's something like playing a game. When you play Counter Strike or Call of Duty or any other fighting game, you have different kinds of ammo to kill enemies. It's never said that you use a grenade to kill enemy type A or a gun to kill type B. It's a decision you take as you move on with the game. Similarly, in GMAT you have to be ready with your arsenal. A single problem can be attacked in multiple ways, but with practice you will know which one to use.
> Develop a habit of using the techniques you read in any book - master your tools!
> Develop a habit of identifying the correct type of question - know your enemy first!

3) Spend more time reading concepts rather than blindly solving 100+ questions per day

4) I bought a CD from a local market which had 20+ sample tests. Mostly: Princeton Review, Manhattan, PowerPrep, Nova, Kaplan, Barrons, etc etc. Contrary to what people say, it doesn't matter if the practice test is easier or difficult than the actual GMAT. Don't waste your time analyzing if the test is tougher or easier than the actual GMAT, no one can say for sure! Even if it is easier (say) and you score well it will act as a morale booster for the real deal! Don't be so harsh on these tests, just take them the way they are. It's all about how well you have practiced to make your mind tough for the final exam. Nerves matter! And they get stronger with more and more practice. Do ANY tests that you get ANY number of times. It is only going to help.

Let me know if you have questions. If you find my responses useful, I would appreciate a Kudo :):) Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
SR85 wrote:
leonidisss wrote:
SR85 wrote:

Kind regards

Hi! A few more points that I would like to highlight:

1) Don't just read science texts, but random topics especially something that is not of your interest. The trick is to get used to reading whatever GMAT throws your way. Try online articles on Economist, WSJ, etc. You have to develop a habit of identifying the structure, tone and big picture, instead of the actual content. There are a limited number of question types that can be asked in an RC question - eventually, you will have to develop a methodology to tackle each type. Remember, GMAT is not a test of English; it's a test of time management.

2) If you have read Power Score CR Bible twice and are still facing issues with CR, then I think you need to change the way you read and also try and apply what you have read. The best way is: the moment you read how to tackle a type of question, try and pick up the Official Guide and see if you are able to apply that concept. You have to keep these learning as tools to tackle different question types on the exam. It's something like playing a game. When you play Counter Strike or Call of Duty or any other fighting game, you have different kinds of ammo to kill enemies. It's never said that you use a grenade to kill enemy type A or a gun to kill type B. It's a decision you take as you move on with the game. Similarly, in GMAT you have to be ready with your arsenal. A single problem can be attacked in multiple ways, but with practice you will know which one to use.
> Develop a habit of using the techniques you read in any book - master your tools!
> Develop a habit of identifying the correct type of question - know your enemy first!

3) Spend more time reading concepts rather than blindly solving 100+ questions per day

4) I bought a CD from a local market which had 20+ sample tests. Mostly: Princeton Review, Manhattan, PowerPrep, Nova, Kaplan, Barrons, etc etc. Contrary to what people say, it doesn't matter if the practice test is easier or difficult than the actual GMAT. Don't waste your time analyzing if the test is tougher or easier than the actual GMAT, no one can say for sure! Even if it is easier (say) and you score well it will act as a morale booster for the real deal! Don't be so harsh on these tests, just take them the way they are. It's all about how well you have practiced to make your mind tough for the final exam. Nerves matter! And they get stronger with more and more practice. Do ANY tests that you get ANY number of times. It is only going to help.

Let me know if you have questions. If you find my responses useful, I would appreciate a Kudo :):) Good luck!

Thanks again. I will sure spend some time reading) kudos for you.
GMAT Club Bot