Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:55 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 181
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Given Kudos: 187
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6858 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
Need some advice for effectively utilizing last 2 weeks of GMAT prep [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hello, gmat4122. I am a little surprised that no one has yet recommended taking another official CAT over the next week. This can help set your mind at ease, believe it or not, and allow you to feel as though you have a distinct goal in mind for this week. Deciding to maintain a particular score or sub-score is a risky strategy. Many test-takers, especially first-time test-takers, assume that their official exam will go the same way as their practice tests had gone, without considering that test-day nerves, combined with a lack of sufficient practice, can hurt their performance just when it matters the most. You might even seize up and attempt to be extra cautious about making mistakes, which could cost you time and mental energy better spent working through the problems at hand.

I would suggest practicing small sets of questions, perhaps 5-15 at a time, with a Verbal set in the morning/evening and a Quant set in the other part of the day. Place emphasis on quality time over the amount of time you are preparing each day, and do not force yourself to belt out x questions a day, or you will be coming at this task from the wrong angle. Some days, I can get more out of picking apart one or two questions than I could combing through 10-50 new ones. Look up the questions you have missed in the forum. Read what others have to say about those questions. If you enjoy videos, watch Verbal strategy lessons by Ron Purewal (in the "Thursdays with Ron" series), GMATNinja, or fiftyoneverbal, for instance. Sure, you might be fine with a 30 in Verbal, but what could aiming for a 40 hurt? Same with Quant. Do not assume you will earn a 49 just because you can do so in practice. I have worked with students who have done this before and walked away with a Quant score in the 44-46 range.

I say all this not to scare you, but to urge you to keep working at it. Keep sharpening your skillset so that your performance peaks at just the right time. Two weeks is a perfect amount of time in which to focus on the task at hand without losing track of the finish line.

Best of luck to you in your studies.

- Andrew
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22050 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Re: Need some advice for effectively utilizing last 2 weeks of GMAT prep [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi gmat4122,

How did things end up with your GMAT?
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Need some advice for effectively utilizing last 2 weeks of GMAT prep [#permalink]