It is currently 22 Nov 2017, 18:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need some input on weekend MBA programs - Ross and Broad

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Need some input on weekend MBA programs - Ross and Broad [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2015, 09:08
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hello,

This is my first time posting and I'm a new user. I'm hoping to be able to get some help/information/input regarding weekend MBA programs in the state of Michigan. I'll try and summarize a little bit about myself:

I went to a small tech school in Metro Detroit and got my BS Mechanical Engineering.
I spent time working at one of the big auto OEMs for 6 years as an engineer in hybrid systems.
During that time I obtained my Master of Engineering degree from Univ of Michigan - AA
I recently switched jobs to a different auto OEM at the end of last year where I'm the lead engineer on hybrid programs - essentially lead a cross functional team in the development, implementation, optimization of the entire hybrid vehicle system (not just one part or piece, but the entire system).
I am 30 years old and married

I am looking to get an MBA. I'm not looking to be a career switcher. What I am looking to do is hopefully gain some critical and vital skills through an MBA as a means to help leverage into more supervisory, project management, and managerial roles. I do not want to leave my job and thus am interested only in weekend MBA style programs. Additionally, I want to attend a school with a good reputation that will allow me the credentials and credibility to obtain my future career goals.

I have been looking at things and it seems that from a reputation and accessibility perspective Michigan (Ross) and Michigan State (Broad) would be a good fit. Ross obviously has a top tier reputation when it comes to MBA programs and is far better in that perspective than Broad. However, Ross comes in at a cost north of $100,000 and Broad is at $67,000 - these are total program costs.

Here are some of my concerns:
- Cost: My company may sponsor 100% of tuition costs but I'm not sure if I want to take them up on that. We have a clause stating that you have to remain with the company for a minimum of 3 years post graduation. So, my concern is that if I'm unable to secure a upward moving role within the company after graduation and stay in a more traditional engineer type position, that I miss out on a lot of opportunity. I am assuming that my best opportunity to secure a new position/role would be at the time of graduation, and sitting in a similar role that I have today with the additional MBA for 3 years would kill a lot of that potential. If I'm paying out of pocket, $67k is more feasible than $100k.

- Reputation: Obviously Ross is a more well regarded top tier in reputation program vs. Broad. Does that play a huge impact? If my goal is to stay within Metro Detroit, will the difference in reputation between these programs be a huge hindrance?

From my personal situation, I'm not attacking the MBA as a means of a grand post-MBA salary. With my recent job change I just hit a 6 figure mark, and salary is not a driving motivation here. I want to get into a program that will allow me to advance my career. I'm assuming from a weekend/part time MBA perspective, post-MBA salaries are not hugely different between Broad and Ross.

Any thoughts/comments/feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [1], given: 2

Reviews Badge
Re: Need some input on weekend MBA programs - Ross and Broad [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2015, 00:02
This post received
KUDOS
My two cents - I'd contemplate which school excites you more. Which student body gives you the better vibe? I'm a believer in the experience and student body being what you're paying for with a part-time MBA more than the piece of paper or the name/brand. If you pick the right school that motivates you and surround yourself with students who'll challenge your own perceptions and expand your horizons then the costs of the program will have been worth it. In the grand scheme of things, the additional $33K spread over the next few years isn't that big a hit if the difference in experience opens doors and broadens your horizons. Also, I'd expect any new job you take to pick up the penalty payments to break you from your prior agreement. In other words, don't let that price differential hold you back too much - make the decision about the experience and the fit.

Good luck!

Kudos [?]: 5 [1], given: 2

Re: Need some input on weekend MBA programs - Ross and Broad   [#permalink] 07 Mar 2015, 00:02

Need some input on weekend MBA programs - Ross and Broad

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap