It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 05:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

New HBS website and 2010 Class Profile

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 0

Re: New HBS website and 2010 Class Profile [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2008, 14:47
terp06 wrote:
IHateTheGMAT wrote:
kidderek wrote:
[
Pretty much all of them. 25 is the new 28.

There are only a handful of holdouts.

That's not really true. Harvard and Stanford are pushing the youth thing much harder than the rest of the top schools. And even Harvard does not have a median age of 25. If 41% of students had 3 years or less of work experience then 59% had more than 3 years. That most likely puts the median (50%tile) work experience at about 4 years. Since the average college graduate is 22 that means the median age of entering Harvard students is 26. And Harvard has clearly been pushing the youth movement more than anyone else. If their median age is 26, I'd be willing to bet most other top schools (excluding stanford) have a median age around 27. And don't forget that 50% of every MBA program is still filled with people over the median age. Schools might be a going a little bit younger, but its not nearly as exagerated as some seem to think.

I think the real question to ponder is that of admit rates. 41% of HBS' class has <= 3 years of experience and 59% of the class has > 3 years of experience. However, I strongly doubt that the same breakdown can be said for applicants. If I were to guess, only 25% of applicants to HBS or any other top school have <= 3 years of WE and about 75% probably have > 3. Take a look at the profiles on GMATClub, profile evaluation requests on other forums, Admissions411, etc. - they're not the most accurate measure of course, but I think they paint the picture that the average applicant has 4-6 years of WE.

Well, according to GMAC the number of GMAT test takers for the under 24 age group (the next age group they report is 24-30) has grown more than twice as fast as any other age group. As of a year ago under 24s were 27% of all GMAT test takers (up from 17% of all test takers just 3 years earlier). At that rate of growth I would assume that the class of 2010 numbers (compares to the harvard stats we were looking at) is pushing 30%. And that is total GMAT test takers. Harvard has been very aggressive in recruiting younger applicants... much more aggressive than any other top program. So, I think it's safe to assume that they have more than the average proportion of young applicants. I would guess 35-40% of Harvard's applicants had under 3 years of workex. Which is not that far off from the 41% they enrolled. So, I don't think the acceptance rates are materially different by age group.

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 0

e-GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 0

Schools: Attending Stanford

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2008, 15:21
kryzak wrote:
terp, you might want to check with terry12 on Stanford. He mentioned to me that pretty much everyone he met there during admit weekend were from top private schools, and very few from state schools. If they were, they're from Berkeley, UCLA, or Michigan.

Definitely true in a general sense, though I do know of a reasonable number of exceptions from other Big-10, Pac-10, and ACC schools. As terp mentioned above, most of these guys have pretty impressive backgrounds.

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 0

Schools: St Gallen, Cambridge, HEC Montreal

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2008, 07:12
Hi,

I cannot find the average gmat score on HBS' website. Is it listed there?

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2008, 23:45
terp06 wrote:
I am most worried about Stanford and Wharton in that regard. Terry's comment seems absolutely right on mark about Stanford. Harvard has a huge class though and has plenty of space for state school kids.

HBS shows plenty of love to the state schools. The Chicago crew of incoming students is filled with Big 10 alums, should be fun come football season :lol:. Don't stress over things you can't change, just work on getting the best experience possible.

Wharton also has a huge class, I am sure they pickup large numbers of state school applicants.

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

Re: New HBS website and 2010 Class Profile   [#permalink] 30 Jul 2008, 23:45

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 44 posts ] 

New HBS website and 2010 Class Profile

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: OasisGC, aeropower, bb10

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap