Last visit was: 12 Jul 2024, 20:01 It is currently 12 Jul 2024, 20:01
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 458 [160]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: International Business, Finance
GMAT 1: 590 Q32 V30
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 4591 [27]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3700 [6]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Re: [RC - Reading Material] Newpapers, Magazines, etc. to read [#permalink]
Kudos
Great post. I am, bookmarking it for future. Wonderful suggestion Chris. Thanks... can you post links to some such articles.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
Kudos
Hello experts,

These are great resources, but I am finding it difficult to find articles that follow the "GMAT rules". E.g. https://www.harvardmagazine.com/2022/07 ... eadly-toll - this article contains the following line -

The researchers were particularly interested in the effects of airborne pollutants released during the fracking process, which include volatile organic compounds and radioactive particles.

Now, if I were reading this as just another article for my knowledge, I wouldn't be bothered. However, according to SC rules, shouldn't the "which" modifier refer to "fracking process", whereas, it logically refers to "airborne pollutants".

I wonder if reading too many articles from such sources would confuse me in the long run.
Please advise! :)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1333 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
[RC - Reading Material] Newpapers, Magazines, etc. to read [#permalink]
Reading articles from The Economist, for example, can be helpful in terms of improving one's RC reading ability. Applying the standards of GMAT SC, however, on such articles may sometimes backfire a bit in the way you described. That being said, for this particular sentence, the word INCLUDE works cannot "work" with FRACKING PROCESS.

The pollutants...include...
The process...includes...

Probably best not to worry too much about external sentences.

Here's an interesting SC you may want to try by the way. In a similar context, it tests which is the correct NOUN to be modified.

How to get better at GMAT Sentence Correction. Look at the non-underlined portion. Hagfish or slime?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 370 [2]
Given Kudos: 762
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
Send PM
Kudos
glagad wrote:
The researchers were particularly interested in the effects of airborne pollutants released during the fracking process, which include volatile organic compounds and radioactive particles.

Now, if I were reading this as just another article for my knowledge, I wouldn't be bothered. However, according to SC rules, shouldn't the "which" modifier refer to "fracking process", whereas, it logically refers to "airborne pollutants".

I wonder if reading too many articles from such sources would confuse me in the long run.

In fact, it's good that you have come across this sentence now. There is nothing wrong with the sentence. If this sentence were a SC answer and you eliminated it, your answer would probably be wrong.

WHICH always refers to something earlier in the sentence.

In most (almost all) correct answers in SC, WHICH follows a comma and refers to the word immediately before the comma.

So it is quite useful to consider this a rule. The rule works well in SC -- but not always. There are some official SC questions in which it does not.

In this sentence there are two reasons why WHICH cannot refer to fracking process.

The first reason is what you said.
It makes no sense to say that the process includes "volatile organic compounds and radioactive particles". It makes more sense to say that pollutants include "volatile organic compounds and radioactive particles".

The second reason is grammatical. Fracking process is singular. The writer has written WHICH INCLUDE; that tells us WHICH refers to a plural noun. It cannot refer to fracking process, which is singular. It can only refer to pollutants.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
Thanks vv65 GmatTutorKnight

Looking at this solely from the "SC" perspective, while I understand that "which" cannot refer to "fracking process" because of the two reasons mentioned in the above post, I would also want to understand what are some strict rules about "which nouns can be modified by the modifier "which"".

In e-gmat resource, I read, it can very well jump "prepositional phrases" - so jumping "during fracking process" seems okay to me.
In a Magoosh video, I understood the above but with a hard rule: that "which" cannot jump a verb.

So, in this sentence can it jump a verb-ed modifier like - "released"??

And what should I do if I face such a dilemma in the exam?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 370 [0]
Given Kudos: 762
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
Send PM
glagad wrote:
In a Magoosh video, I understood the above but with a hard rule: that "which" cannot jump a verb.

So, in this sentence can it jump a verb-ed modifier like - "released"??

And what should I do if I face such a dilemma in the exam?

The English language has very few hard rules that make something absolutely wrong. I don't know whether this is one of the hard rules, that a WHICH cannot jump over a verb. For GMAT purposes, we can consider perhaps it a hard rule -- but I'm not sure (and I wouldn't do so).

Can a WHICH jump a VERB-ed modifier as in this sentence? Well, it has done so, hasn't it? It's possible that this is considered non-standard, but (as I said earlier) I don't really know.

If you face such a dilemma in the exam, compare the answer choices. It's possible that all the others have worse problems. Alternatively, it's possible that you find another answer choice that has no problem at all and is better than this one.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Thank you for doing the work and compiling these reading naterials into one post, it is a big help. Nice!

Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 867 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6979 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
236 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
14043 posts