It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 15:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Of the 4,800 voters who voted for or against Resolution K

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

4 KUDOS received
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 29 Aug 2005
Posts: 855

Kudos [?]: 518 [4], given: 7

Of the 4,800 voters who voted for or against Resolution K [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2009, 12:30
4
This post received
KUDOS
4
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  35% (medium)

Question Stats:

65% (00:56) correct 35% (00:55) wrong based on 418 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Of the 4,800 voters who voted for or against Resolution K, 1,800 were Democrats, and 3,000 were Republicans. What was the total number of female voters who voted for Resolution K?

(1) 3/4 of the Democrats and 2/3 of the Republicans voted for resolution K.

(2) 1/3 of the Democrats who voted for Resolution K and 1/2 of the Republicans who voted for Resolution K were females.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Bunuel on 15 Jan 2012, 12:44, edited 2 times in total.
Edited the question

Kudos [?]: 518 [4], given: 7

2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Jun 2008
Posts: 286

Kudos [?]: 161 [2], given: 15

Re: GMATPrep DS1 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2009, 14:44
2
This post received
KUDOS
I just took my last gmat prep test before the exam, and guess what, the same question popped up.

At first I was surprised that such an ambiguous question was on gmat prep, which meant that there could be other questions of this type as well.

Then i saw that the question actually says -

"If 4800 voters who voted for or against Resolution K...."

C makes sense now.

Kudos [?]: 161 [2], given: 15

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 01 Dec 2011
Posts: 67

Kudos [?]: 53 [1], given: 12

Re: Of 4800 voters who voted for Resolution K, 1800 were [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2012, 12:37
1
This post received
KUDOS
As rashminet84 correctly mentioned before, C is the correct OA. I was confused as well untill I saw the hint at the exact wording. Moreover, the short answer explanation given in the software tells us also that B can't be correct and hints in this direction.
_________________

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kudos

Kudos [?]: 53 [1], given: 12

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 42571

Kudos [?]: 135392 [1], given: 12691

Re: Of the 4,800 voters who voted for or against Resolution K [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2012, 12:56
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Edited the question. Initially crucial part "or against" was omitted.

seofah wrote:
Of the 4,800 voters who voted for or against Resolution K, 1,800 were Democrats, and 3,000 were Republicans. What was the total number of female voters who voted for Resolution K?

(1) 3/4 of the Democrats and 2/3 of the Republicans voted for resolution K.

(2) 1/3 of the Democrats who voted for Resolution K and 1/2 of the Republicans who voted for Resolution K were females.


This one is fairly straightforward question. We don't even need matrix/diagram or any calculation.

(1) 3/4 of the Democrats and 2/3 of the Republicans voted for resolution K --> no info about female voters. Not sufficient.

(2) 1/3 of the Democrats who voted for Resolution K and 1/2 of the Republicans who voted for Resolution K were females --> no info about how many Democrats/Republicans voted for. Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) From (1) we know how many Democrats/Republicans voted for and from (2) we know what fraction of each of these group were females, thus we can get exact # of females who voted for. Sufficient.

Answer: C.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Kudos [?]: 135392 [1], given: 12691

Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 09 Sep 2013
Posts: 14897

Kudos [?]: 287 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Of the 4,800 voters who voted for or against Resolution K [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2013, 07:40
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
_________________

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Kudos [?]: 287 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Apr 2013
Posts: 149

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 36

Re: Of the 4,800 voters who voted for or against Resolution K [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2013, 18:09
Bunuel wrote:
Edited the question. Initially crucial part "or against" was omitted.

seofah wrote:
Of the 4,800 voters who voted for or against Resolution K, 1,800 were Democrats, and 3,000 were Republicans. What was the total number of female voters who voted for Resolution K?

(1) 3/4 of the Democrats and 2/3 of the Republicans voted for resolution K.

(2) 1/3 of the Democrats who voted for Resolution K and 1/2 of the Republicans who voted for Resolution K were females.


This one is fairly straightforward question. We don't even need matrix/diagram or any calculation.

(1) 3/4 of the Democrats and 2/3 of the Republicans voted for resolution K --> no info about female voters. Not sufficient.

(2) 1/3 of the Democrats who voted for Resolution K and 1/2 of the Republicans who voted for Resolution K were females --> no info about how many Democrats/Republicans voted for. Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) From (1) we know how many Democrats/Republicans voted for and from (2) we know what fraction of each of these group were females, thus we can get exact # of females who voted for. Sufficient.

Answer: C.


Bunuel,

If required, what is the best way to draw a matrix for this problem?
_________________

Maadhu

MGMAT1 - 540 ( Trying to improve )

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 36

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 25 Apr 2012
Posts: 721

Kudos [?]: 872 [1], given: 724

Location: India
GPA: 3.21
WE: Business Development (Other)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Of the 4,800 voters who voted for or against Resolution K [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2013, 00:04
1
This post received
KUDOS
maaadhu wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Edited the question. Initially crucial part "or against" was omitted.

seofah wrote:
Of the 4,800 voters who voted for or against Resolution K, 1,800 were Democrats, and 3,000 were Republicans. What was the total number of female voters who voted for Resolution K?

(1) 3/4 of the Democrats and 2/3 of the Republicans voted for resolution K.

(2) 1/3 of the Democrats who voted for Resolution K and 1/2 of the Republicans who voted for Resolution K were females.


This one is fairly straightforward question. We don't even need matrix/diagram or any calculation.

(1) 3/4 of the Democrats and 2/3 of the Republicans voted for resolution K --> no info about female voters. Not sufficient.

(2) 1/3 of the Democrats who voted for Resolution K and 1/2 of the Republicans who voted for Resolution K were females --> no info about how many Democrats/Republicans voted for. Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) From (1) we know how many Democrats/Republicans voted for and from (2) we know what fraction of each of these group were females, thus we can get exact # of females who voted for. Sufficient.

Answer: C.


Bunuel,

If required, what is the best way to draw a matrix for this problem?



Hi maaadhu,

I will give it a short

We need to find no. of female voters who voted for Resolution K

Given No. of Voters: 4800
Democrats: 1800
Republicans: 3000

From st 1 we have the following matrix

Matrix St 1 For Against Total
Democrats 1350 450 1800
Republicans 2000 1000 3000
Total 3350 1450 4800

Now we can't tell no. of female voters from the above

From St 2, the matrix says

Matrix St 2 Male Female Total
Democrats who voted for Res.K 2/3A 1/3A A
Republicans who voted for Res. K 1/2B 1/2B B

Where A and B total no. of voters for who voted for Resolution K. for Demo. And Rep.
Again we cannot tell no. of Female voters as it will be 1/3A +1/2B

Combining 2 statements, we get value of A and B as 1350 and 2000 from Matrix 1

Matrix 3 Male Female Total
Demcrats 900 450 1350
Repulicans 1000 1000 2000
Total who voted 1900 1450 3350

Ans: 1450

Therefore Option C

Apologies if the Matrix is not clear. Please refer to attachment
Attachments

Matrix.doc [31 KiB]
Downloaded 99 times

To download please login or register as a user


_________________


“If you can't fly then run, if you can't run then walk, if you can't walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward.”

Kudos [?]: 872 [1], given: 724

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Oct 2013
Posts: 167

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 56

Re: Of the 4,800 voters who voted for or against Resolution K [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2013, 02:30
Forgot to read "female voters" :roll:
_________________

Click on Kudos if you liked the post!

Practice makes Perfect.

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 56

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 06 Sep 2013
Posts: 1966

Kudos [?]: 758 [0], given: 355

Concentration: Finance
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Of the 4,800 voters who voted for or against Resolution K [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2014, 08:04
Hi All,

For the non-natives just remember that Voted For means in favor of. So just to recap first we were given the total number of voters who voted FOR OR AGAINST resolution for each party.

Statement 1 tells us nothing about the sex of these voters but we know the proportion of those who voted IN FAVOR. Statement 2 tells us that of those that voted in favor a fraction were female for each party.

Therefore with both statements together we can calculate the total number of females who voted for resolution K.

Cheers
J :-D

Kudos [?]: 758 [0], given: 355

Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 09 Sep 2013
Posts: 14897

Kudos [?]: 287 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Of the 4,800 voters who voted for or against Resolution K [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2016, 23:21
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
_________________

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Kudos [?]: 287 [0], given: 0

Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 09 Sep 2013
Posts: 14897

Kudos [?]: 287 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Of the 4,800 voters who voted for or against Resolution K [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2017, 08:41
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
_________________

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Kudos [?]: 287 [0], given: 0

Re: Of the 4,800 voters who voted for or against Resolution K   [#permalink] 17 Aug 2017, 08:41
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Of the 4,800 voters who voted for or against Resolution K

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.