GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 12 Dec 2019, 12:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Of three persons, two take relish, two take pepper, and two take salt.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Math Expert
V
Of three persons, two take relish, two take pepper, and two take salt.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2019, 06:17
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

40% (02:26) correct 60% (02:46) wrong based on 565 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Of three persons, two take relish, two take pepper, and two take salt. The one who takes no salt takes no pepper, and the one who takes no pepper takes no relish. Which of the following statements must be true?

I. The person who takes no salt also takes no relish.
II. Any of the three persons who takes pepper also takes relish and salt.
II. The person who takes no relish is not one of those who takes salt.

A. I only
B. II only
C. III only
D. I and II only
E. I, II, and III

PS29502.01
Quantitative Review 2020 NEW QUESTION

S
Of three persons, two take relish, two take pepper, and two take salt.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2019, 06:26
I think the simplest way to solve this problem is to to make a table like the one below where P is the heading for the 'Persons' column and A, B and C denote the three persons. Let's imagine the table is blank and we have to fill in who takes what according the the information given. Let's start with "The one who takes no salt takes no pepper". Let's say B is that person so we put NO in the Pepper and Salt columns again'st B. Next, "The one who takes no pepper takes no relish". B is the only person who takes no pepper because both A and C must take pepper because it is stipulated that, "of the three persons, two take pepper" which means both A and C must take pepper. So we put NO against B in the Relish column. YES is an automatic choice for A and C in all the three food columns since it is given that "Of the three persons, two take relish, two take pepper and two take salt". Now let us proceed to the statements:

I. THE PERSON WHO TAKES NO SALT ALSO TAKES NO RELISH - B takes neither salt nor relish. So, TRUE.
II. ANY OF THE THREE PERSONS WHO TAKES PEPPER ALSO TAKES RELISH AND SALT - A and C take pepper and they both also take relish and salt. Also, TRUE.
III. THE PERSON WHO TAKES NO RELISH IS NOT ONE OF THE PERSONS WHO TAKE SALT - B is the person who takes no relish and he is not one of the person who takes salt. Again, TRUE.

Answer: E
V
Concentration: Sustainability, Marketing
GPA: 4
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2019, 09:02
m1033512 solution attached

m1033512 wrote:
Archit3110 wrote:
we can solve by drawing a venn diagram

IMO E ; all three are correct.

Bunuel wrote:
Of three persons, two take relish, two take pepper, and two take salt. The one who takes no salt takes no pepper, and the one who takes no pepper takes no relish. Which of the following statements must be true?

A. I only
B. II only
C. III only
D. I and II only
E. I, II, and III

PS29502.01

Hi Archit,

Could you draw( i mean in your notebook and take picture) the Ven diagram of this and post here .
I am struggling to understand this .

Posted from my mobile device
Attachments

IMG_20190430_213042563.jpg
IMG_20190430_213042563.jpg [ 773.1 KiB | Viewed 5436 times ]

General Discussion
GMAT Tutor
G
Re: Of three persons, two take relish, two take pepper, and two take salt.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2019, 07:30
We know we have one person who takes no salt, and that person also takes no pepper. So either that one person takes *only* relish, or that person takes none of the three things.

But if that person takes *only* relish, then that is the person who takes no pepper. And the question tells us that the person who takes no pepper also takes no relish. So this person can't exist.

So the only possibility is that the person who takes no salt takes none of the three things. Then we only have 2 people left, and for 2 people to eat each of salt, pepper and relish, these 2 people must eat all three of the things. If we draw a 3-circle Venn diagram, we'll have a 2 right in the middle, where the three circles overlap, and we'll have 1 person who isn't in any circle at all.

Since that's our situation, we do have one person who eats none of the three things, so item I is true. And anyone who eats one thing eats everything, so II is true. And the person who takes no relish takes no salt, so III is true.

If you are looking for online GMAT math tutoring, or if you are interested in buying my advanced Quant books and problem sets, please contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
V
Concentration: Sustainability, Marketing
GPA: 4
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Of three persons, two take relish, two take pepper, and two take salt.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2019, 04:00

Bunuel wrote:

A. I only
B. II only
C. III only
D. I and II only
E. I, II, and III

PS29502.01
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2019, 07:01
Archit3110 wrote:

Bunuel wrote:

A. I only
B. II only
C. III only
D. I and II only
E. I, II, and III

PS29502.01

Hi Archit,

Could you draw( i mean in your notebook and take picture) the Ven diagram of this and post here .
I am struggling to understand this .
Manager
Manager
B
Schools: Johnson '22
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2019, 20:13
When one who takes no salt takes no pepper, we can imagine fig A (pepper within salt). We just don't know whether pepper circle falls exactly over salt circle or whether pepper circle is inside salt circle.
Similarly, for pepper and relish.Since the question says - Of three persons, two take relish, two take pepper, and two take salt . All three circles must fall on each other exactly (fig B) with 2 people inside these three circles and 1 person outside all three circles. I, II, III are deducible from this.
Attachments

salt pepper relish.PNG
salt pepper relish.PNG [ 60.59 KiB | Viewed 5285 times ]

Target Test Prep Representative
V
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2019, 17:18
Bunuel wrote:

A. I only
B. II only
C. III only
D. I and II only
E. I, II, and III

PS29502.01

Let’s say the 3 people are A, B and C and let’s say A takes no salt and pepper. Then B and C must take pepper and they also take salt. Furthermore, since the one who takes no pepper takes no relish, that person must be A since both B and C take pepper. In other words, A takes no condiments and B and C each take all 3 condiments. Therefore, all three statements are true.

Answer: E

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2019, 15:50
This is written in a tricky way to make us assume that there has to be different people taking each one (at least that was my initial supposition) but the following sentence make this impossible: "The one who takes no salt takes no pepper, and the one who takes no pepper takes no relish."

If you draw a table you can see the relationship more clearly:

The only way to have 2 in each group and have the total add up to 6 is if 2 people take every condiment and the other takes none, i.e. the 3rd person is in the "neither" group in overlapping set formula.
SVP
SVP
D
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2019, 22:49
Bunuel wrote:

A. I only
B. II only
C. III only
D. I and II only
E. I, II, and III

PS29502.01

R = Person taking relish
P = Person taking pepper
S = Person taking salt

IMO E
Attachments

2019-08-24_111801.jpg
2019-08-24_111801.jpg [ 293.64 KiB | Viewed 2260 times ]

Manager
Manager
B
GPA: 3.9
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2019, 02:02
I usually solve questions with overlapping sets with a double matrix method.
Is there a equivalent to use (or a guide) when I have more then 2 options?
B

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2019, 08:15
chrtpmdr wrote:
I usually solve questions with overlapping sets with a double matrix method.
Is there a equivalent to use (or a guide) when I have more then 2 options?

Yes, you can draw a diagram. If you scroll up you can see some people drawing a diagram with 3 overlapping sets.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Of three persons, two take relish, two take pepper, and two take salt.   [#permalink] 27 Nov 2019, 08:15

Of three persons, two take relish, two take pepper, and two take salt.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics