Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:57 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Olin Business School - Washington University
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Schools:Olin Business School - Washington University
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
Yes, I do believe that that is the case. I do have something that I wanted to bring up, that I wasn't totally clear about.

I was reading that scores and percentiles are always given as of the date they are reported. So, for example, if someone took the test a year ago but was sending in an application today, I believe that their score is adjusted based on the current pool of scores. I'm not absolutely positive this is correct, but if I recall I read this at the official GMAC site.

For example, there has been a recent change from 99% to 98% for 750 scores. I believe the way it works is that while people who scored 750 2 months ago were shown as 99th percentile, if they were to send their scores off to schools today, their report would actually indicate 98th percentile. I'm not positive this is how it work, but I think it is.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
That doesn't sound fair and right, does it? If that's the case:

1. I will report when it is favourable to me. E.g. If I get a 700, and in recent month it is say a 98 percentile (say due to relatively poorer quality of test takers), I will quickly submit the score to all the schools. Theoretically, I have 5 years to do so.

2. Since we do not know what is the current percentile for the score that we achieved 2 years ago, we may unknowning be caught lying. E.g. 2 years ago, 750 is 99th percentile. So I just put these figures in my application form even if I report the score today. But if my ordered gmat score says it is actually a 98th percentile, then there is a discrepency.

Hence I think a more objective way of comparing this objective standardized test is to look more at the percentile. Firstly, it is more meaningful than the score itself. Secondly, it gives a better comparison between test-takers even if they took the test at different time ("he is a top 1% 2 years ago and she is a top 1% last month").
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
ugh, as if studying my ass off wasn't enough to worry about, now i'm starting to worry about what i need to get on this test to get into the schools i want.

know i shouldn't be thinking about this now, but what do i need to get into the top tier nyc schools, anybody?

oh yeah, and how the hell am i going to do it?
SVP
SVP
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
tkkoh wrote:
That doesn't sound fair and right, does it? If that's the case:

1. I will report when it is favourable to me. E.g. If I get a 700, and in recent month it is say a 98 percentile (say due to relatively poorer quality of test takers), I will quickly submit the score to all the schools. Theoretically, I have 5 years to do so.

2. Since we do not know what is the current percentile for the score that we achieved 2 years ago, we may unknowning be caught lying. E.g. 2 years ago, 750 is 99th percentile. So I just put these figures in my application form even if I report the score today. But if my ordered gmat score says it is actually a 98th percentile, then there is a discrepency.

Hence I think a more objective way of comparing this objective standardized test is to look more at the percentile. Firstly, it is more meaningful than the score itself. Secondly, it gives a better comparison between test-takers even if they took the test at different time ("he is a top 1% 2 years ago and she is a top 1% last month").

Well, actually it's not up to you to report the official score. Your score is reported at whatever time you apply. Scores seem to be on the rise and it may be even tougher next year so it makes sense to apply this year. But there's no way for you to give your scores to a school right now in preperation for an application next year or 5 years from now.

I think it's quite alright to fill in the score that you are given when you self-report your score to the school. But they will get an official copy that will reflect the scoring breakdowns at the current moment.
SVP
SVP
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
jonnyjersey wrote:
ugh, as if studying my ass off wasn't enough to worry about, now i'm starting to worry about what i need to get on this test to get into the schools i want.

know i shouldn't be thinking about this now, but what do i need to get into the top tier nyc schools, anybody?

oh yeah, and how the hell am i going to do it?

That is just impossible to answer without more information, but if by top tier NYC schools you mean Columbia and NYU, you're looking at about 700 average GMAT. Columbia is harder to get into than NYU - its admit rates are much lower.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37310 posts