Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 15:09 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 15:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32981 [0]
Given Kudos: 5780
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: On average, 9 out of every 1,000 passengers who traveled on Avia Airli [#permalink]
I also wanted to know how I can improve and if using Chineseburned's structure word-for-word as I am doing will be considered plagiarism.

Sajjad1994 wrote:
AWA Score: 5.5 - 6 out of 6

Coherence and connectivity: 5/5
This rating corresponds to the flow of ideas and expressions from one paragraph to another. The effective use of connectives and coherence of assertive language in arguing for/against the argument is analyzed. This is deemed as one of the most important parameters.

Paragraph structure and formation: 4.5/5
The structure and division of the attempt into appropriate paragraphs are evaluated. To score well on this parameter, it is important to organize the attempt into paragraphs. Preferable to follow the convention of leaving a line blank at the end of each paragraph, to make the software aware of the structure of the essay.

Vocabulary and word expression: 4.5/5
This parameter rates the submitted essay on the range of relevant vocabulary possessed by the candidate basis the word and expression usage. There are no extra- points for bombastic word usage. Simple is the best form of suave!

Good Luck

MEChimpanzee wrote:
Quote:
The following appeared in an Avia Airlines departmental memorandum:
“On average, 9 out of every 1,000 passengers who traveled on Avia Airlines last year filed a complaint about our
baggage-handling procedures. This means that although some 1 percent of our passengers were unhappy with those
procedures, the overwhelming majority were quite satisfied with them; thus it would appear that a review of the
procedures is not important to our goal of maintaining or increasing the number of Avia’s passengers.”
Discuss how well reasoned . . . etc.

The argument claims that because only 1% of passengers filed a complaint last year regarding baggle-handling procedures, only a very small number of passengers are unsatisfied and thus, it is not necessary to improve these procedures in order to maintain or increase the number of passengers. Stated in this way, the argument fails to mention several key factors, on the basis of which it could be evaluated. The conclusion of the argument relies on assumptions for which there is no clear evidence. Hence, the argument is weak, unconvincing, and flawed.

First, the argument readily assumes that the unsatisfaction rate is constant from year to year. This statement is a stretch and does not take into account that the procedures or that the passengers themselves could have changed. To illustrate, if baggage-handling procedures have become worse, a higher percentage of passengers would be unsatisfied this year than in last year. The argument could have been much clearer if it explicitly stated that the unsatisfaction rate has not changed since last year.

Second, the argument claims that, because only 1% of passengers filed a complaint, the vast majority is satisfied. This is again a very weak and unsupported claim as the argument assumes that all unsatisfied passengers file complaints. To illustrate, it could be that 500 out of 1,000 passengers were unsatisfied with the procedures, yet only 9 of them filed official complaints. Clearly, the number of passengers that filed complaints is not a measure of the total number of unsatisfied passengers. If the argument provided evidence that all passengers who did not file a complaint were satisfied, then the argument would have been a lot more convincing.

Finally, there are questions which are left unanswered by the argument. What if another airline has better baggage-handling procedures, and thus higher customer satisfaction? What if the the unsatisfaction rate of 1% is enough to drive passengers away? Without convincing answers to these questions, one is left with the impression that the claim is based more on wishful thinking rather than substantive evidence.

In conclusion, the argument is flawed for the above-mentioned reasons and is therefore unconvincing. It could be considerably strengthened if the author clearly mentioned all the relevant facts.

Posted from my mobile device
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32981 [0]
Given Kudos: 5780
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Re: On average, 9 out of every 1,000 passengers who traveled on Avia Airli [#permalink]
Expert Reply
MEChimpanzee wrote:
I also wanted to know how I can improve and if using Chineseburned's structure word-for-word as I am doing will be considered plagiarism.

I am using "GMAT AWA grader" just google it.

No, it will not be considered plagiarism. Many have got 6 out of 6 using it. Furthermore, 5.5 to 6 is the maximum score.

Cheers
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Sajjad1994 wrote:
MEChimpanzee wrote:

I am using "GMAT AWA grader" just google it.

No, it will not be considered plagiarism. Many have got 6 out of 6 using it. Furthermore, 5.5 to 6 is the maximum score.

Cheers

Thanks. As far as I know, GMAT AWA grader just checks the structure and not the actual content; please correct me if I'm wrong. Is it possible to get human feedback here on the forum?
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts