GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 20 May 2018, 20:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

One benefit of learning to speak a language while learning

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
One benefit of learning to speak a language while learning [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2010, 12:39
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

90% (00:47) correct 10% (00:41) wrong based on 141 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

One benefit of learning to speak a language while learning to read it rather than sepretelyis that the student can more efficiently apply his or her knowledge in social settings.
1.rather than separately
2.rather than independently
3.instead of separately
4.instead of as separate processes
5.rather than in a separate process

GMAT 800:Answer:E But why?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesJamboree Discount CodesOptimus Prep Discount Codes
5 KUDOS received
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Schools: Cornell (Bach. of Sci.), UCLA Anderson (MBA)
Re: What is the answer? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 24 Jan 2010, 11:27
This post received
KUDOS
Note the split between rather than and instead of. They have nearly identical meaning, and the OG rarely even mentions this split as a deciding factor, usually only citing the fact that both require parallelism (i.e. in X rather than Y, X and Y must be parallel).

However, rather than is slightly more likely to be correct. Whether that is due to nuance and style is debatable, but there is an important grammar restriction on the use of instead of: because of is a preposition, it must have a noun as its object.

So you CAN say:
I want chocolate ice cream instead of vanilla today.
Miguel decided to play guitar instead of drums.

But you SHOULDN'T say:
I walked to work instead of drove.
Miguel played guitar instead of drummed.

In choices (C) and (D), the instead of is incorrectly followed by an adverb and prepositional phrase, respectively.

In choices (A) and (B), it could be ok to follow rather than with adverbs. However, I think it is unclear what these adverbs modify (learning to speak separately? learning to speak a language separately? just learning separately, i.e. in a separate location?), and the parallelism is not great.

In (E), the parallelism between prepositional phrases while learning to read it and in a separate process makes the meaning much clearer. These are clearly two ways one would learn to speak a language.

Here are two similar examples:
In the talent show, Maya plans to whistle while eating crackers rather than inside a tank of water.
(It's clear that Maya was considering two ways to whistle!)

In the talent show, Maya plans to whistle while eating crackers rather than loudly.
(Not only is the parallelism poor (a grammar error itself), but the bad parallelism creates confusion about the intended meaning. What is "loudly"? The whistling? The cracker eating? the planning?)

Emily Sledge | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | St. Louis

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Originally posted by esledge on 14 Jan 2010, 15:50.
Last edited by esledge on 24 Jan 2010, 11:27, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
GPA: 3.33
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: One benefit of learning to speak a language while learning [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2018, 00:13
"rather than" is preferred most of the time in gmat.
Both A and B use adverbs which modify a verb. However, we are looking for a modifier that supports the noun -> E remains.
Re: One benefit of learning to speak a language while learning   [#permalink] 05 Feb 2018, 00:13

One benefit of learning to speak a language while learning

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap