GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 29 Mar 2020, 20:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

One of the main ways that photographers rank the quality of an image..

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
CrackVerbal Representative
S
One of the main ways that photographers rank the quality of an image..  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2020, 02:41
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

92% (00:48) correct 8% (01:20) wrong based on 72 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

One of the main ways that photographers rank the quality of an image is in terms of pixel count; if they rank the pixel count higher, the better the quality of the image.

(A) if they rank the pixel count higher, the better

(B) the higher the pixel count ranking, the better

(C) ranking of the pixel count higher, that much better

(D) when the pixel count ranking is higher, the better

(E) the higher the pixel count ranking, that much better

B
Re: One of the main ways that photographers rank the quality of an image..  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2020, 02:13
in nonunderlined part there is a ;
so after it there should be an independent clause.... is option B an independent clause??

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B
Re: One of the main ways that photographers rank the quality of an image..  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2020, 00:53
There's only one thing to look out for - the proper usage of the idiom "the higher....the better". Only option B uses it correctly.

IMO B

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
S
One of the main ways that photographers rank the quality of an image..  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2020, 09:48
Nearly everyone has gotten this correct and in less than a minute. I think this sentence punishes non-native speakers more than anyone. The reason is simply because when a native speaker reads this the answer choice (B) is what they know they are looking for. It’s do this with an idiom that follows a certain pattern. The higher the.... the stronger the... The better the... the weaker the...

But let’s see how we might be able to knock out some of these answer choices.

One of the main ways that photographers rank the quality of an image is in terms of pixel count; if they rank the pixel count higher, the better the quality of the image.

(A) if they rank the pixel count higher, the better

A little confession: This question is very similar to an Official Guide question. So, I might have known there is a problem with the meaning on this. And, indeed, the problem here is that there is a bit of ambiguity. If you read the last part literally one could read it as saying that BY VIRTUE OF SIMPLY RANKING IT BETTER that the quality of image becomes better. It’s like saying that a good IMDB rating will make a film better. Doesn’t work that way!

(B) the higher the pixel count ranking, the better

Yes, yes. It feels right and it is right. But lets move on!

(C) ranking of the pixel count higher, that much better

Grammatically what follows a ; should be able to stand alone as a sentence. This doesn’t. Out!

(D) when the pixel count ranking is higher, the better

The GMAT is a little too literal I feel when it comes to this, but the problem here is with the word WHEN. Here the ambiguity, from the GMAT’s perspective, is that the sentence could mean that ONLY when the pixel count ranking is higher that the quality of the image is better. I’d recommend you all keep an eye on WHEN in SC.

(E) the higher the pixel count ranking, that much better

The higher the... the better... is what some people might be looking for at this point. I think I eliminated this one initially, however, due to the ,THAT. Be wary whenever you see a COMMA followed by THAT in SC. The usage is very limited on the GMAT.
One of the main ways that photographers rank the quality of an image..   [#permalink] 01 Mar 2020, 09:48

One of the main ways that photographers rank the quality of an image..

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics